McLellan/Hall Tiff on the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I saw a coach giving an earful to a player for something, and then leaning in and obviously looked like encouraging talk afterwards...that doesn\t look like a tiff...looks like actual coaching.
Kids nowadays are soft, if that is what they consider a tiff.:laugh:

Hey stop it. I thought this thread was a safe space for Hall criticism. I don't feel comfortable.

Anyways, shouldn't Hall be higher than sixth in scoring, considering how much Purcell he gets? And all those puck-moving d-men?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So when j schultz is -12 and Hall and drai are +10 we can totally discount it then as well eh?

It's totally a relevant stat, Eberle when he 1st came back was a minus nightmare and got killed for it justifiably so. Hall and Drai were huge pluses on a lousy oiler team when they were playing well. A game or two? Not a big deal but over sections of a year, say 15-20 games it's a good indicator as to how players are playing.

So even if one considers +/- a relevant stat Hall is +5 on the year on one of the perennial worst teams in the league. he has the second best +/- on the club. With his linemate, Draisaitl, having the highest.

Of course one of the things that happens after 20 or so games as one of the hottest lines in the league is that marking and attention increases. Thus Hall line has seen some pretty tough opposition. To their credit though they've continued to find a way to produce. Theres been bleeding, yes, but in games like yesterday largely due to Nillson.

Also you cited -3 yesterday. Lets go over that. 1 of those was an empty net goal. Another Nillson was lost in space on the Kucherov goal losing position on an obvious play that Talbot would have made look easy. Also where was Gryba on that goal?

On another goal Draisaitl squeezes namestnikov off the puck, makes a great play really, the puck is sitting there for Nurse who fans on his clearing attempt putting it right on palats stick who buries it. Watch the replay.

That's 3 GA right there that Hall was not even remotely associated with.

i'll give you the first GA. Hall had some culpability in that one.

tikkanen

Jan 1, 2016
red deer
So even if one considers +/- a relevant stat Hall is +5 on the year on one of the perennial worst teams in the league. he has the second best +/- on the club. With his linemate, Draisaitl, having the highest.

Of course one of the things that happens after 20 or so games as one of the hottest lines in the league is that marking and attention increases. Thus Hall line has seen some pretty tough opposition. To their credit though they've continued to find a way to produce. Theres been bleeding, yes, but in games like yesterday largely due to Nillson.

Also you cited -3 yesterday. Lets go over that. 1 of those was an empty net goal. Another Nillson was lost in space on the Kucherov goal losing position on an obvious play that Talbot would have made look easy. Also where was Gryba on that goal?

On another goal Draisaitl squeezes namestnikov off the puck, makes a great play really, the puck is sitting there for Nurse who fans on his clearing attempt putting it right on palats stick who buries it. Watch the replay.

That's 3 GA right there that Hall was not even remotely associated with.

i'll give you the first GA. Hall had some culpability in that one.

He was culpable on the empty netter-drai was moving to the middle to open the play up and hall lasers it out of his 9 foot reach up the wall then hall doesn't skate back and if you watch the replay draisatl made an attempt to get off the ice where he dove and get close to back pressure and hall is behind him when they score on an extended 2 v 1. Just saying. Likely he wouldn't get back in time but when you turn it over or you have an A on your jersey you are the first guy back. Remember when Stephan missed the empty net and real leaders rushed back against Dallas in 97?

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
The Eakins incident with Hall is when this board really started hating on Eakins.

I suppose this is when people will want McLellan canned?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The Eakins incident with Hall is when this board really started hating on Eakins.

Let's not even go that far, please. There were way more factors on why this board hated Eakins.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

Are you trying to compare McLellan coaching a player to Eakins getting sprayed with water?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The one thing that I found more interesting is how the commentators pointed out how TM has adapted from SJ to EDM. In SJ he didn't say much. In EDM he is always talking to someone. This is something Eakins never did.

Not true. Eakins was very busy talking all the time promoting himself in the media. Especially during morning practices :naughty:

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Not true. Eakins was very busy talking all the time promoting himself in the media. Especially during morning practices :naughty:

Not much else for Eakins to do when he's sitting up with the reporters during those practices, to get as he put it "a different perspective while not over-coaching too much".

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton

This is so untrue, it's not even funny. Did the hatred for Eakins increase after the water incident? Yes. But in no way, shape or form did it start with it. This is as weak of a post as Beerfish's arguments against Hall in this thread.

@ Beerfish - Has Hall been underperforming? Sure, I'll give you that - in comparison to his peak level of play. But his underperforming streak is still sitting him at 6th in scoring. On one of the worst teams in the league. Which is also where his +/- stats that you are so righteously throwing around comes from. There is only one team behind the Oilers in goal differential, and Hall is second highest on the team @ +5 (and he's one of the few players to have played every game as well). I'm really confused as to why you're arguing that people should be as hard on Hall as they are on players who are not pulling their fair share of the weight like Hall has been doing (and more). It's actually quite asinine.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Another -1 for Hall. Backchecked hard after Nurse gives up the zone entry, broke up the play, Schultz coughs the puck up and it's in the net.

Step it up, Hall.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Another -1 for Hall. Backchecked hard after Nurse gives up the zone entry, broke up the play, Schultz coughs the puck up and it's in the net.

Step it up, Hall.

Bingo. More reasons to hate +/- because of how stupid it is to use on a individual player.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Their last 20 games for a variety of players:

Eberle -1
Pouliot -2
RNH -3
Draisaitl -4
Purcell -4
Letestu -4
Schultz -5
Sekera -6
Hall -9

Hall is our best player (at least until mcdavid plays a wee bit more.)
Hall is a top 10 scorer.
Hall is one of the top wingers in the game.
Hall is playing lousy the last while and it is out best players who will take us to the playoffs not our bottom 6 forwards and such.

I like Hall, he's critical to the teams success, what I don't like is certain players being given total free passes by half this forum whole just killing others players for every little thing. and that happens to the point of absurdity on these forums.

Oct 15, 2008
Funny I seem to recall last year a major push from this forum to trade Hall.

Short term memory is not very strong in beerfishes apparently.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Funny I seem to recall last year a major push from this forum to trade Hall.

Short term memory is not very strong in beerfishes apparently.

No, incorrect, by far the majority blasted anyone that suggested he be moved. My memory and the way I view has stayed consistent.

You play well and to your ability you get lots of praise, if you don't you get taken to task.

Oct 15, 2008
No, incorrect, by far the majority blasted anyone that suggested he be moved. My memory and the way I view has stayed consistent.

You play well and to your ability you get lots of praise, if you don't you get taken to task.

Ive seen you sticking up for Lander in the last day or two.

And yes, the calls to trade Hall were certainly there. He was injured and playing through injury and probably had his worst season last year and people wanted him gone. Lots of them.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Hall is not someone you can build around, can't play winning hockey w. Him.

Hopefully Todd Mc can get through to him about the responsible and defensive side of the game. Yes he puts up points and can be a game changer but after all these years he is still a liability.

I would not shed 1 tear if we traded this guy for a legit Dman. Hall is replaceable. Build around Mc, Drai, Ebs. Nurse.

Hall reminds me of Steve Nash, a magician w. The ball but never won anything because his defence was atrocious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad