TSN: McKenzie on the Coyotes at the TDL - Describes OEL as "untouchable"

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Straight up? yeah probably. But I think you'd end up regretting it. Eichel makes 10 mill a year. If you trade for a center with #1 you MUST keep OEL. So now you're paying OEL say 7 mil and Eichel 10. We're a floor team so now we're paying something like 25-30% of your money in two players. I don't think it's a winning formulae for a budget team.

And it wouldn't be straight up either. Were I the team with Eichel I'd demand Dvorak too at least. Probably more.

I'm sure there would need to be more to the deal than just 1OA for Eichel. If they wanted 1OA + Dvorak for Eichel I'd pause, but still probably pull the trigger as it opens up a place for Strome. I love me some Dvo, I do, but hes on pace for 43 points this season with our 31st place team. Jack is on pace for 81 with his 30th place team. He's a key reason they aren't behind us significantly in points.

I totally get that we are a floor team, but we are using Bolland just to reach the floor. We could move Demers and Goligoski, replace them with cheaper help, and achieve the same result we've gotten on the back end. That provides money to help pay Eichel.

Its a #1 center, we haven't seen that in well over a decade wearing a coyotes uniform. Not saying Jack is some miracle worker here, and it may be a trade I'd regret, but with our current stable of players and prospects, I take Jack.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
So what sort of pick does it take for Chayka to move Richardson (and then hope to re-sign him in the summer)? I'd think a 3rd is the threshold. If someone offers that, he goes. If not, we happily re-sign him now.

So, they want to re-sign Richardson and we have Cousins and Archibald on contract for another year. I don't want another year of having six fourth liners with some getting top six minutes.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I mean, if Buffalo called me and said, "I'll give you Eichel" then I'm fairly certain I'd have to say yes. With his contract we don't even need guys to keep ourselves above the cap floor, and he's basically proving in his last 2 seasons that he's a ppg player. I mean imagine Keller and Eichel making up 2/3 of our first line.. *pauses to salivate*

Heck, we could expand on that trade and come out looking amazing.

Domi - Eichel - Keller
Perlini - Dvorak - Fisher
Rieder - Stepan - Panik
Martinook - Richardson - Archibald

That's beautiful right there. We still need a real partner for Chychrun, maybe Strome could deliver that partner. I don't know but I move Dahlin for Eichel.

I said earlier that I would never trade a top 10 pick for a rebuilding team, but this kind of deal I would do, if we re-sign OEL.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Straight up? yeah probably. But I think you'd end up regretting it. Eichel makes 10 mill a year. If you trade for a center with #1 you MUST keep OEL. So now you're paying OEL say 7 mil and Eichel 10. We're a floor team so now we're paying something like 25-30% of your money in two players. I don't think it's a winning formulae for a budget team.

And it wouldn't be straight up either. Were I the team with Eichel I'd demand Dvorak too at least. Probably more.

Asking and receiving is two different things and it depends on the players and teams involved and the needs of both teams.

I'm sure there would need to be more to the deal than just 1OA for Eichel. If they wanted 1OA + Dvorak for Eichel I'd pause, but still probably pull the trigger as it opens up a place for Strome. I love me some Dvo, I do, but hes on pace for 43 points this season with our 31st place team. Jack is on pace for 81 with his 30th place team. He's a key reason they aren't behind us significantly in points.

I totally get that we are a floor team, but we are using Bolland just to reach the floor. We could move Demers and Goligoski, replace them with cheaper help, and achieve the same result we've gotten on the back end. That provides money to help pay Eichel.

Its a #1 center, we haven't seen that in well over a decade wearing a coyotes uniform. Not saying Jack is some miracle worker here, and it may be a trade I'd regret, but with our current stable of players and prospects, I take Jack.

If Buffalo wanted Dvo added I would say no.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
OEL isn't untouchable until he is signed. It just means the price is so high that you better come at Chayka with a serious offer.

So, OEL automatically becomes untouchable if we re-sign him?

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Asking and receiving is two different things and it depends on the players and teams involved and the needs of both teams.

If Buffalo wanted Dvo added I would say no.

I get we all love Dvorak, and there is good reason for it, but the there are only 3 players in the league I do a deal like that for.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Where Nashville is, is very much the promised land compared to where we are now. They did just make a cup final.

Knowing what centers are possibly available is pretty easy. Contending teams aren't trading their #1 C for Dahlin (likely + too), so all those guys are out. Also a good number of them are older so those guys are out.

Not available because team is contending or depth past that C is too thin:
Crosby
McDavid
Matthews
Stamkos
Seguin
Scheifele
Bergeron
Kuznetsov
Monahan
Mackinnon
Barzal

Probably not available but old or expensive anyway:
Malkin
Backstrom
Eichel
Getzlaf
Kopitar

MAYBE available:
Draisatl - not even a full time center and makes tons of money
Tavares (pending UFA)

I might be forgetting a few, but that's basically the entire list of franchise changing centers.
Not going to waste too much time on this but let's say it's the Oilers calling and they are offering Draisaitl, Nuge, and Klefbom for Dahlin and Strome? I'm listening as that instantly makes the Coyotes significantly better. And as for Nashville they got to the final after they sold a very promising D for a Center. And they had to do it again this year.

Edit: And before you say how unlikely that is Chirelli is still in charge and neither of Thornton of Seguin play in Boston.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I get we all love Dvorak, and there is good reason for it, but the there are only 3 players in the league I do a deal like that for.

I understand what you are saying and I'm not saying you are wrong, but for the Coyotes and that was the deal offered I would just keep the 1 OA and Dvo. IF we are talking McDavid, that would be a different story.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
1 OV + Dvorak for Eichel? I'd absolutely do that.

No. 1 C issue solved. Let's not overvalue Dvo here.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
10m for Eichel and 8mil for OEL leaves about tree fiddy to fill out the rest of the roster with a bunch of Connautons and Cousinses.
Well, Kconn and Cousins are hot:) OEL will cost more then 8 mill too, likely 9+.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
But does it?

Perlini (.9) - Eichel (10) - Keller (.9)
Domi (2.5) - Stepan (6) - Fischer (.8)
Crouse (.9) - Strome (.9) - Panik (2.8)
Nook (1.8) - Richardson (1.5) - Cousins (1)
Archibald (.7)

OEL (8) - Hammer (4.1)
Goose (5.5) - Demers (3.8)
Chychrun (.9) - Whocares (1)
No. 7 (1)

Raanta (3)
Backup (1)

With some rounded numbers for easy math, and some projections, that's $59M. Less than $100,000 more than what we're spending right now.

Things get a little hairy when you have to factor in potentially big extensions for Keller, Domi, etc., but the likes of Goligoski, etc. will be out of here by then to free up those dollars.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
1 OV + Dvorak for Eichel? I'd absolutely do that.

No. 1 C issue solved. Let's not overvalue Dvo here.

I don't think I would if I think Dahlin is a franchise D. It would be a deal that I would have to look at it real hard but Buffalo would still probably want more.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
But does it?

Perlini (.9) - Eichel (10) - Keller (.9)
Domi (2.5) - Stepan (6) - Fischer (.8)
Crouse (.9) - Strome (.9) - Panik (2.8)
Nook (1.8) - Richardson (1.5) - Cousins (1)
Archibald (.7)

OEL (8) - Hammer (4.1)
Goose (5.5) - Demers (3.8)
Chychrun (.9) - Whocares (1)
No. 7 (1)

Raanta (3)
Backup (1)

With some rounded numbers for easy math, and some projections, that's $59M. Less than $100,000 more than what we're spending right now.

Things get a little hairy when you have to factor in potentially big extensions for Keller, Domi, etc., but the likes of Goligoski, etc. will be out of here by then to free up those dollars.
Good post! Is that 100k more than we're actually spending or 100k more than our cap hit?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I wonder how much value is added to the franchise if we pick 1OA? Knowing that the team potentially has the best defenseman for the next decade on the roster may be enticing for someone to step up and put some money into this team. I wonder how much drafting a McDavid/Matthews/Eichle would have changed this too.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Good post! Is that 100k more than we're actually spending or 100k more than our cap hit?

Good catch. For the roster, I used Barroway Bucks rather than cap totals. But then used the cap total for this year's number. CapFriendly shows this year's projected cap hit at 58.9. if you take out the non-insurance portion of Bolland's contract, that brings down the total to 54.8. Aside from that, I don't think we have any contracts where there is an outrageous discrepancy between the cap hit and the player's salary.

As far as dead money, we have one more year of Bolland. Also one more year of Smith's buyout and two more years of Ribeiro's. Vermette's buyout comes off of the books after this season.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
If Eichel is offered for the 1 overall and Dvorak you bowl people over to get the paperwork signed before Buffalo comes to their senses. Not going to happen.

Reactions: Mosby

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If Eichel is offered for the 1 overall and Dvorak you bowl people over to get the paperwork signed before Buffalo comes to their senses. Not going to happen.

Dahlin could be worth more than Eichel in a couple of years if what I read about him is true. It's not as lopsided as one thinks, and you add in Eichel's salary AB would have hear attack. If you said it was Matthews not Eichel I would do the deal.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Dahlin could be worth more than Eichel in a couple of years if what I read about him is true. It's not as lopsided as one thinks, and you add in Eichel's salary AB would have hear attack.
Eichel and OEL is far better for the Coyotes in Oct than OEL and Dahlin are. You can't play without a number 1 center.

Reactions: Antonche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad