TSN: McKenzie on the Coyotes at the TDL - Describes OEL as "untouchable"

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
says OEL and Keller are only untouchables. Says don't read into the Max Domi available stuff. For him, and other young players, says price would be "incredibly steep."

Hjalmarsson, he did not rule him out as trade bait, would be another good package, he said.

Coyotes are getting calls on Brad Richardson, but Yotes want to re-sign him. Still could move him.

Schenn and KConn could be gone too, just doesn't know how hot the market is for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: MIG

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
OEL and Keller are the only 2 untouchables. Chayka confident OEL can be resigned.
Price on Domi is incredibly steep, if he is available.
Interesting name is Hjalmarsson. A vet team could come calling....but he won't come cheap.
Getting calls on Richardson, could be a rental. Arizona would like to resign.
Shenn and Connauton are cheap D depth guys who could be available....not sure if there's a market for either.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
OEL and Keller are the only 2 untouchables. Chayka confident OEL can be resigned.
Price on Domi is incredibly steep, if he is available.
Interesting name is Hjalmarsson. A vet team could come calling....but he won't come cheap.
Getting calls on Richardson, could be a rental. Arizona would like to resign.
Shenn and Connauton are cheap D depth guys who could be available....not sure if there's a market for either.
Maybe it will be a quite deadline day afterall. I'd rather sit on our hands anyway, if we're confident we can get OEL to sign a contract we're happy with, then I'd really rather not see him traded. Wild amounts of turnover is part of what led to us being the worst team in the league. I'd rather add some things here or there and tweak some things here or there, and give this group another chance to not woefully under perform. We need some consistency and stability.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Is this the first legit rumor purveyor who has said the team thinks they have a good shot at keeping OEL?
Or it's at least the first in awhile.

Reactions: RABBIT

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Is this the first legit rumor purveyor who has said the team thinks they have a good shot at keeping OEL?
Or it's at least the first in awhile.

I'd say so yes. If it comes out of McKenzie's mouth, you can pretty much trust that over anything. That being said, stranger things have happened...but I would probably take this to the bank

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Maybe it will be a quite deadline day afterall. I'd rather sit on our hands anyway, if we're confident we can get OEL to sign a contract we're happy with, then I'd really rather not see him traded. Wild amounts of turnover is part of what led to us being the worst team in the league. I'd rather add some things here or there and tweak some things here or there, and give this group another chance to not woefully under perform. We need some consistency and stability.
If there was ever an organization, in any pro sport, in need of stability it's the Arizona Coyotes.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RABBIT

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Only untouchables are Cousins and KConn.

1329da518ec28807bfc6b74bb048105cec42726bd00033d5f6661aec035534d2.jpg

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
So what sort of pick does it take for Chayka to move Richardson (and then hope to re-sign him in the summer)? I'd think a 3rd is the threshold. If someone offers that, he goes. If not, we happily re-sign him now.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So what sort of pick does it take for Chayka to move Richardson (and then hope to re-sign him in the summer)? I'd think a 3rd is the threshold. If someone offers that, he goes. If not, we happily re-sign him now.

We know Chayka has picks slotted out in value terms and there's a somewhat sizable drop between 71-80 and 81-90.

Statistically 71-80 has a 15% chance to be better than a 4th liner. 81-90 is 10% and it keeps getting lower after that so it's not an anomaly.

Going by TSNs little tracker anyway.
Statistically Speaking: NHL Draft Pick Value - Article - TSN

Is that enough to be choosy over which 3rd rounder we're talking about? IE Colorado's third yes but no to Tampa's? At some point it is.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Can you imagine if we keep OEL, Hjalmarsson, Demers, and Raanta AND win the Dahlin pick?

OEL-Demers
Chych-Hjammer
Goligoski-Dahlin
KConn

Raanta
A Swede

^ how can that suck? It can't. We would HAVE to be a decent team with that. Right? Right. Yes. We would.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If you win the draft lottery and sign OEL, not saying I would do it, but that Dahlin kids gets you a high end 1st line center. A 1st line center just might be more important than another 1st line D but still not sure I'd do it???

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Dahlin is too highly thought of vs any available centers (top 15 type guys aren't available) and the likelihood that you'd have to pay that center 6-8m on top of it. You go the Nashville plan and try and fill it in later.

EDIT: Oh and just to be clear since everyone is getting fanciful lately :P
We're not getting Dahlin.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Dahlin is too highly thought of vs any available centers (top 15 type guys aren't available) and the likelihood that you'd have to pay that center 6-8m on top of it. You go the Nashville plan and try and fill it in later.
Really we have no idea what's available but in reality the Nashville way has not lead them to the promised land despite having a great D core for nearly a decade now. If a true number 1 center was available the Coyotes would be wise to at least consider it.

Reactions: Jakey53

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Really we have no idea what's available but in reality the Nashville way has not lead them to the promised land despite having a great D core for nearly a decade now. If a true number 1 center was available the Coyotes would be wise to at least consider it.

Where Nashville is, is very much the promised land compared to where we are now. They did just make a cup final.

Knowing what centers are possibly available is pretty easy. Contending teams aren't trading their #1 C for Dahlin (likely + too), so all those guys are out. Also a good number of them are older so those guys are out.

Not available because team is contending or depth past that C is too thin:
Crosby
McDavid
Matthews
Stamkos
Seguin
Scheifele
Bergeron
Kuznetsov
Monahan
Mackinnon
Barzal

Probably not available but old or expensive anyway:
Malkin
Backstrom
Eichel
Getzlaf
Kopitar

MAYBE available:
Draisatl - not even a full time center and makes tons of money
Tavares (pending UFA)

I might be forgetting a few, but that's basically the entire list of franchise changing centers.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Well according to HF apparently the Yotes would be able to get Matthews in exchange for Dahlin. :biglaugh:

Reactions: Sthlmyote

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Where Nashville is, is very much the promised land compared to where we are now. They did just make a cup final.

Knowing what centers are possibly available is pretty easy. Contending teams aren't trading their #1 C for Dahlin (likely + too), so all those guys are out. Also a good number of them are older so those guys are out.

Not available because team is contending or depth past that C is too thin:
Crosby
McDavid
Matthews
Stamkos
Seguin
Scheifele
Bergeron
Kuznetsov
Monahan
Mackinnon
Barzal

Probably not available but old or expensive anyway:
Malkin
Backstrom
Eichel
Getzlaf
Kopitar

MAYBE available:
Draisatl - not even a full time center and makes tons of money
Tavares (pending UFA)

I might be forgetting a few, but that's basically the entire list of franchise changing centers.

I mean, if Buffalo called me and said, "I'll give you Eichel" then I'm fairly certain I'd have to say yes. With his contract we don't even need guys to keep ourselves above the cap floor, and he's basically proving in his last 2 seasons that he's a ppg player. I mean imagine Keller and Eichel making up 2/3 of our first line.. *pauses to salivate*

Heck, we could expand on that trade and come out looking amazing.

Domi - Eichel - Keller
Perlini - Dvorak - Fisher
Rieder - Stepan - Panik
Martinook - Richardson - Archibald

That's beautiful right there. We still need a real partner for Chychrun, maybe Strome could deliver that partner. I don't know but I move Dahlin for Eichel.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I mean, if Buffalo called me and said, "I'll give you Eichel" then I'm fairly certain I'd have to say yes.

Straight up? yeah probably. But I think you'd end up regretting it. Eichel makes 10 mill a year. If you trade for a center with #1 you MUST keep OEL. So now you're paying OEL say 7 mil and Eichel 10. We're a floor team so now we're paying something like 25-30% of your money in two players. I don't think it's a winning formulae for a budget team.

And it wouldn't be straight up either. Were I the team with Eichel I'd demand Dvorak too at least. Probably more.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad