TSN: McKenzie on the Coyotes at the TDL - Describes OEL as "untouchable"

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Eichel and OEL is far better for the Coyotes in Oct than OEL and Dahlin are. You can't play without a number 1 center.

Then you trade OEL. Eichel is one hell of a player, a PPG player, but Dvo is .50 PPG player and you add in Dahlin who is suppose to be a franchise D, better than OEL, it is a trade that I would have to look at long and hard. You add in the salaries it is not a slam dunk trade. Buffalo would not even entertain this trade so there is no use to talk about it anyways.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Hypothetically, the Coyotes are drafting #1 overall.

Do you

a) sign OEL and draft Dahlin OR

b) Draft Dahlin and trade OEL for a C OR

c) Trade #1 for a C and sign OEL

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
A, pretty easily. The impact of talents like Dahlin on an ELC for 2 years is the most valuable thing in the world to the Coyotes.

Although secret option D which is "Draft Dahlin and end up trading OEL for a bunch of stuff cause he doesn't resign" is still on the table.

we're not getting Dahlin

Reactions: AZviaNJ

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

Do you

A. Find someone else to trade for a C. Identify a player that your scouts feel is under appreciated or can’t break into a established lineup. Hjarlmarsson becomes more available. Goligoski potentially.

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Do you

I vote #1. Having a great D core will make our forwards look better. Trade something else to get another C. I don't think a top 20 true number 1C will be available anyway and I wouldn't give up OEL or the #1 pick for one that is available. We might find somebody better then Stepan but not much better. RNH type players are what would be available (not saying he is better then Stepan). Maybe DVO improves, Stepan plays better, Strome makes the team and/or they move Keller to center? I would keep the depth on D and let our young forwards mature and evolve.

Reactions: Jakey53

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
1. The poll had nothing to do with trades
2. Did you watch Matthews as a prospect?
3. How about Dahlin?
4. If Dahlin wins ROY, will you still be laughing?
1. Ok but the context was who was considered better and you said the poll had chosen Dahlin over Matthews by a wide margin. Maybe I misunderstood what you were conveying when you brought up the poll?
2. Some
3. Just this recent WJC
4. You mean like Ekblad? Yes, yes I would.

I get that Dahlin is a high end prospect but he still hasn't played a moment in the NHL. To say he's for sure better than someone like Matthews who was a super prospect himself and has already delivered (and then some) on those expectations is just silly. You said yourself you think Matthews should be number 2 behind McDavid as well so not sure why you're challenging me on this topic.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Dahlin is the real deal. He's the Austen Mathews of D prospects. He's that good. He's legitimately in that conversation.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Dahlin is the real deal. He's the Austen Mathews of D prospects. He's that good. He's legitimately in that conversation.
Oh I'm sure he is but you'd still be an absolute moron to trade Auston Matthews for him. Well at least until he's played a couple of years and lived up to the hype, then all bets are off of course.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Oh I'm sure he is but you'd still be an absolute moron to trade Auston Matthews for him. Well at least until he's played a couple of years and lived up to the hype, then all bets are off of course.
Absolutely. That type of trade is fantasy.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Then you trade OEL. Eichel is one hell of a player, a PPG player, but Dvo is .50 PPG player and you add in Dahlin who is suppose to be a franchise D, better than OEL, it is a trade that I would have to look at long and hard. You add in the salaries it is not a slam dunk trade. Buffalo would not even entertain this trade so there is no use to talk about it anyways.
OEL IMO on a long term deal at big money would have less value via trade than Dahlin on entry level deal with low cost certainty for a few years and from the Coyotes end would not be as good right now as OEL.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
1. Ok but the context was who was considered better and you said the poll had chosen Dahlin over Matthews by a wide margin. Maybe I misunderstood what you were conveying when you brought up the poll?
2. Some
3. Just this recent WJC
4. You mean like Ekblad? Yes, yes I would.

I get that Dahlin is a high end prospect but he still hasn't played a moment in the NHL. To say he's for sure better than someone like Matthews who was a super prospect himself and has already delivered (and then some) on those expectations is just silly. You said yourself you think Matthews should be number 2 behind McDavid as well so not sure why you're challenging me on this topic.
I haven't seen anyone say he's for sure better. I'd rather have Matthews. Mackinnon v McDavid was aclose poll after Mack had a huge start to his career and McDavid wad undrafted yet. Matthews looks really good. If in five years Dahlin is In the conversation of the best defenseman in the NHL, it won't be laughable that some like him more than Matthews.

rt

May 13, 2004

A poster asked where Dahlin would rank in a prospect ranking. I said I thought lost hockey fans would have him after McDavid but before Matthews. You brought up trades. Trades wasn't a part ofit. I thought we were taking about how well regarded they were as prospects.

EDIT one of us was confused. Probably me.

Last edited:

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
A poster asked where Dahlin would rank in a prospect ranking. I said I thought lost hockey fans would have him after McDavid but before Matthews. You brought up trades. Trades wasn't a part ofit. I thought we were taking about how well regarded they were as prospects.

EDIT one of us was confused. Probably me.
Eh it was probably both of us. Really all I'm trying to say is that at this moment, Matthews is far more valuable than Dahlin. That may change one day but for now Dahlin is 100% potential while Matthews is already proven to be the real deal.

rt

May 13, 2004
Eh it was probably both of us. Really all I'm trying to say is that at this moment, Matthews is far more valuable than Dahlin. That may change one day but for now Dahlin is 100% potential while Matthews is already proven to be the real deal.
Yes. I agree. :)

However, if you rank them based on perceived value/potential/hype during their draft years, many folks like Dahlin as a draft eligible player more than they liked Matthews as a draft eligible player.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Agree draft hype was insane for McDavid. I myself think Matthews is the best player in the game today.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Agree draft hype was insane for McDavid. I myself think Matthews is the best player in the game today.
I don't think many fans give Matthews enough credit for just how good he is. He is just so cerebral that he doesn't show as well as McDavid but he does everything very very well. His shot is off the charts good. He will be in the Hart conversation for years to come.

rt

May 13, 2004
That's something about Dahlin to be very excited about. He's got that very unique quality of being about the slipperiest damned defenseman I've ever seen in my life. He's like if Datsyuk was a blueliner.

Reactions: hbk

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I love Matthews but I can't see passed those McDavid rocket boots. He's just too good at hockey.

I think it's like choosing between Gretzky and Lemieux. One is in a different galaxy than everyone else, but the other would still be coveted by 30 other teams in the league.

rt

May 13, 2004
How about this....
Domi and Strome to Toronto for Nylander and Leivo
It would be hilarious to see the dozens and dozens of Strome hating Leaf fans do an immediate, and complete 180 degree turn. Almost worth it just for that alone. As for value, I guess it comes down to whether you're supremely confident that Nylander can be an effective NHL center. It seems Babcock doesn't think so. If Chayka and Tocchet think he can, it's probably worth considering. Leivo doesn't do much more me, so I'm really looking at it as Domi and Strome for Nylander. That's tough. Domi and Strome might each have the lowest trade value they'll have at any point in the next decade. One or the other or both might end up a complete disappointment. There's a ton of risk on both sides. If Nylander can be as effective at C as he looks to be on the wing, then it's definitely a stop, look and listen.

Reactions: Mosby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad