TSN: [McKenzie]: Is Jack Johnson on the Habs radar?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Depends on how much cash over that term. We have ridiculous cap space right now and barring Tavares it's likely to stay that way. What's he likely to get right now? 3 or 4 years at +/- 4M per? Call it 12M floor with a ceiling at 18? If we could offer him say 7.5 on a 1 year deal, and we have the space to make that work, it might be something he'd consider especially if he's getting offers closer to the floor.

At 7.5 on a 1 year deal, he'd only have to earn 4.5 over the next two years to equal the original (low) offer. Even another down year, he'd be likely to get that.
You out of your mind. No one is going to offer Johnson 7.5 mil.:laugh: Not even M.B. is that dumb and that's saying a lot.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
The man is inconsistent, but is certainly underrated on here.

Still can play as a 2nd pair guy on a whole lot of NHL teams.

He anchored the 2nd pair with Savard in 16-17 on a very good regular season team. Both Savard and Johnson struggled this past season, until Cole came around and clicked instantly with Savard.

No he didn’t play any in the playoffs. Yes he’s still a capable NHL player. What kind of contract he gets is anyone’s guess.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Bergevin needs to be relieved before he can do more harm to such a historic franchise.
The damage are already done.

The arrogance of the management to the fan is unbreable and their everything is fine attitude make it even worse. I hope (as a habs fan) they rot last for a couple years and Molson get his reality check.

Such a disgrace what they have done the past 2 years.

Reactions: shello

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
The damage are already done.

The arrogance of the management to the fan is unbreable and their everything is fine attitude make it even worse. I hope (as a habs fan) they rot last for a couple years and Molson get his reality check.

Such a disgrace what they have done the past 2 years.

If Weber wasn't injuried last season do you think you would have a different attitude?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
To me Jack Johnson is well past, the point of being named as potentially, "exciting" adds for any team. He is an ordinary 4-5 guy, nothing really special at this point.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I dont think he will be that cheap, highly doubt he will take any type of discount because of his financial situation.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I dont think he will be that cheap, highly doubt he will take any type of discount because of his financial situation.
I think he'll take a relatively low-risk one-year deal just for the ability to play primary minutes in all situations with Shea Weber so he can earn himself a nice retirement contract in 2019. Montreal was always going to be his best opportunity.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Correct me if i'm wrong, Lundquist didn't sign his deal at 30....did he?

You are correct. He didn't sign it at 30, he signed it at 32.

8.5 per for 7 years in 2014-2015.
For 32 YO Lundqvist
Salary cap : 69 M$

10.5 per for 8 years in 2018-2019
For 30 YO Price
Likely salary cap : 80M$

Bergevin had no choice... considering the precedent that Lundqvist set.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
You out of your mind. No one is going to offer Johnson 7.5 mil.:laugh: Not even M.B. is that dumb and that's saying a lot.

If we could flip JJ after 50 games next to Weber for a 1st round pick, a prospect, plus get the benefit of sheltering Mete into a role that he could be more successful with; would that be worth the 6 million we’d have to pay JJ up until the deadline?

The point never was that JJ is worth 7.5. The point was that you have to overpay him in order for him to accept a one year deal. IMO, JJ on term doesn’t really make sense for the habs. My point was always that JJ on a one year deal could provide value to the organization for the above mentioned reasons. But in order to do that you have to overpay enough to give JJ incentive
To take the risk.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You are correct. He didn't sign it at 30, he signed it at 32.

8.5 per for 7 years in 2014-2015.
For 32 YO Lundqvist
Salary cap : 69 M$

10.5 per for 8 years in 2018-2019
For 30 YO Price
Likely salary cap : 80M$

Bergevin had no choice... considering the precedent that Lundqvist set.
Fair enough. I still say 10.5 is just to much for goaltending. But i agree, MBs hands were pretty much tied.

Last edited:
Reactions: HabsQC

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
If we could flip JJ after 50 games next to Weber for a 1st round pick, a prospect, plus get the benefit of sheltering Mete into a role that he could be more successful with; would that be worth the 6 million we’d have to pay JJ up until the deadline?

The point never was that JJ is worth 7.5. The point was that you have to overpay him in order for him to accept a one year deal. IMO, JJ on term doesn’t really make sense for the habs. My point was always that JJ on a one year deal could provide value to the organization for the above mentioned reasons. But in order to do that you have to overpay enough to give JJ incentive
To take the risk.
No team is going to give up a 1st and a prospect for Jack Johnson.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Fair enough. I still say 10.5 us just to much for goaltending. But i agree, Ms hands were pretty much tied.

Damn it's rare that I agree so easily with a leaf fan :laugh:

I even agree that 10.5 is too much for a goalie, I wish we didn't have that on our salary chart. But we couldn't just lose Price and I don't think we would have gotten the haul we want for hin at a TDL or something.

As we couldn't just lose him, we had no choice really.

Reactions: Liferleafer

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
No team is going to give up a 1st and a prospect for Jack Johnson.

If he has a solid rebound year playing big minutes beside Weber, a team that misses out on, say, OEL at the deadline could very well give up a decent package for him.

Edit: And nevermind, apparently OEL is signed... But you get the picture. Somebody could get desperate after missing the bigger fish.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If Weber wasn't injuried last season do you think you would have a different attitude?

That's the thing - and I love Shea Weber. But as a GM, you need to factor in age, NHL miles, and style of play when making a franchise-altering trade. You need to see big picture, which Bergevin clearly doesn't.

Weber was already getting up there in age and had some very hard miles on him due to his physical style of play and the massive TOI he's logged. Weber was also never a speedster, so you have to factor in that he wasn't going to get any faster... or healthier. So you trade Subban for him?

What's even more alarming was the Sergachev for Drouin trade. I mean, you trade your prized D prospect for a forward, and don't even work it out with your coach ahead of time that you are going to play this forward at his natural position??

Then he signs an older Carey Price to a massive deal that will last a lifetime.

Bergevin's decision making is absolutely horrific.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad