TSN: [McKenzie]: Is Jack Johnson on the Habs radar?

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Depends on how much cash over that term. We have ridiculous cap space right now and barring Tavares it's likely to stay that way. What's he likely to get right now? 3 or 4 years at +/- 4M per? Call it 12M floor with a ceiling at 18? If we could offer him say 7.5 on a 1 year deal, and we have the space to make that work, it might be something he'd consider especially if he's getting offers closer to the floor.

At 7.5 on a 1 year deal, he'd only have to earn 4.5 over the next two years to equal the original (low) offer. Even another down year, he'd be likely to get that.

Why on earth would Montreal offer that?

I could see the appeal of getting him on a 1 year deal. Hopefully they could up his value by playing him with Weber and then get a return for him (while retaining 50%) at the deadline. But the contract has to be reasonable for it to make sense and $7.5M is not reasonable.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oilers expectation heading into this past season: Cup contenders
Reality: Bottom 10 team.

Even worse? No cap space to make any improvements. Sounds like you need a rebuild?

The expectation for the Habs is not Tavares (it's more like hope). Carlson is not a target of ours. Stastny and De Haan might be though. Nice try

Actually if you talked to most Oiler fans last offseason we expected our team to slide and be in tough to make the playoffs based on boneheaded roster decisions. I personally expected us to drop 10-15 points, turned out it was worse. Why analysts and bookies ranked us so highly is beyond me.

Don’t be so salty, it was a joke. Why you heff to be mad?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
For me, signing your franchise goalie long term isn't the issue....but no goalie is worth that money, just my opinion.

It's not like we could've spent the money on someone else. Another team would've given him the same contract on open market, 100% sure. Should've we let him walk?

With the cap going up, I think Price is the first of a few elite goalies who will sign for similar deals. We've been told so many times how Price was the only chance/reason we had to make the playoffs yet he's not worth superstar money!?

I think his contract is a bit long, but that's what you have to pay to keep him around. He may still be low end number one by the end of it. Most elite goalies play in their late 30s : Luongo, Brodeur, Hasek, Joseph, Belfour, Miller, Lundqvist and most probably Fleury, Smith and Rinne too. The cap hit should be really reasonable by that time anyway.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Actually if you talked to most Oiler fans last offseason we expected our team to slide and be in tough to make the playoffs based on boneheaded roster decisions. I personally expected us to drop 10-15 points, turned out it was worse. Why analysts and bookies ranked us so highly is beyond me.

Don’t be so salty, it was a joke. Why you heff to be mad?

Hey, A joke of a joke :sarcasm:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
It's not like we could've spent the money on someone else. Another team would've given him the same contract on open market, 100% sure. Should've we let him walk?

With the cap going up, I think Price is the first of a few elite goalies who will sign for similar deals. We've been told so many times how Price was the only chance/reason we had to make the playoffs yet he's not worth superstar money!?

I think his contract is a bit long, but that's what you have to pay to keep him around. He may still be low end number one by the end of it. Most elite goalies play in their late 30s : Luongo, Brodeur, Hasek, Joseph, Belfour, Miller, Lundqvist and most probably Fleury, Smith and Rinne too. The cap hit should be really reasonable by that time anyway.

I can't think of another team that would have offered him 10+ million per on a max term contract.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
"Let's rebuild"
Have Price, Weber, Alzner, Johnson on longterm deals, makes sense.

- Who says we are signing Johnson to a long term deal?

- Price and Weber won't be hard to move if we are rebuilding. Retaining salary would create a log jam line-up for their services.

- Alzner helps our rebuild. More top 10 picks with him on our team.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
- Who says we are signing Johnson to a long term deal?

- Price and Weber won't be hard to move if we are rebuilding.
Retaining salary would create a log jam line-up for their services.

- Alzner helps our rebuild. More top 10 picks with him on our team.

Doubt that.

Those are Bergevin moves, they are his guys/signings. Price is Mr franchise, he has full controll of his contract, then add how many teams are looking to add a +30y goalie at 10.5M for 8 years, probably 0-1.

Bergevin had no problems giving Alzner longterm deal, with Bergevins history +Johnsons situation multi year deal is what I'd expect.

Yes Alzner helps the tank but you shouldn't have too many guys keeping your prospects out of the lineup.

Reactions: Schooner

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Doubt that.

Those are Bergevin moves, they are his guys/signings. Price is Mr franchise, he has full controll of his contract, then add how many teams are looking to add a +30y goalie at 10.5M for 8 years, probably 0-1.

Bergevin had no problems giving Alzner longterm deal, with Bergevins history +Johnsons situation multi year deal is what I'd expect.

Yes Alzner helps the tank but you shouldn't have too many guys keeping your prospects out of the lineup.

You need to bold the entire point (not just a part of what you cherry picked). You forgot to bold the retention on salary part ;). If the Habs retain in our rebuild years... There will be a long line-up for both Price and Weber. Nice try

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Kane was just give 7 man, you don't think a team would have offered 3.5 more for Price?
My opinion has nothing to do with the Habs or Price...but in general, i don't see any 30 yea old goalie being worth 10.5 million.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You need to bold the entire point (not just a part of what you cherry picked). You forgot to bold the retention on salary part ;). If the Habs retain in our rebuild years... There will be a long line-up for both Price and Weber. Nice try

But again that leaves you with the question what are the odds,
what has Bergevin done to earn your trust and think he could do the right thing?

Price is Mr Montreal with full controll of his contract, contenders just don't add that easily(even retained) and vast majority of them have their goalies. Then again you have to think Bergevin having the ..... to trade him and survive the media attack.

How good would it look for Bergevin/Montreal to be retaining for 6-8 years, on maybe 2 contracts? Their value to your team is anyways more than they'd be in a trade, unless Montreal retains like half and goes crazy.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Poor Habs fans.

Expectation: Tavares and Carlson
Reality: Plekanec and Johnson
Poor Oilers fans

Exceptions, playoffs and Cups
Reality making the playoffs once in the last 12 years

Anyways, this is a move the Habs need but with Bergevin who knows. Habs management and ownership are schizophrenic, one day they are going to retool to make the playoffs then next they are going to acquire picks to build depth and then back to signing players for the playoffs...

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Why on earth would Montreal offer that?

I could see the appeal of getting him on a 1 year deal. Hopefully they could up his value by playing him with Weber and then get a return for him (while retaining 50%) at the deadline. But the contract has to be reasonable for it to make sense and $7.5M is not reasonable.

It needs to be enough to make sense for JJ to forego a longer term deal. At minimum you have to think that he's going to be offered a 3 or 4 year deal somewhere around 4 Million per. In order to convince him to sign a 1 year deal you have to overpay otherwise he'll most likely to take the security of a longer term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad