TSN: [McKenzie]: Is Jack Johnson on the Habs radar?

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Depends on how much cash over that term. We have ridiculous cap space right now and barring Tavares it's likely to stay that way. What's he likely to get right now? 3 or 4 years at +/- 4M per? Call it 12M floor with a ceiling at 18? If we could offer him say 7.5 on a 1 year deal, and we have the space to make that work, it might be something he'd consider especially if he's getting offers closer to the floor.

At 7.5 on a 1 year deal, he'd only have to earn 4.5 over the next two years to equal the original (low) offer. Even another down year, he'd be likely to get that.

That kinda blocks us from getting a proven top 6 C in this offseason though. I'd much rather throw UFA money on a guy like Stastny than a one year stop gap at LD in Johnson.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I havent really watched CBJ this year but has he really became that bad?
The year before this year he had a mini resurgance being able to play #3 minutes and not being forced to play 28 minutes a game. This year he seemed to be distracted by his contract situation and whennhe started to slump he kinda just hit a wall. By the end of the year he was a #5 at best but I'm positive once his contract is finally out of the way and hencan focus on hockey again he will bounce back to being a very solid #4 once again.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
That kinda blocks us from getting a proven top 6 C in this offseason though. I'd much rather throw UFA money on a guy like Stastny than a one year stop gap at LD in Johnson.

The amount of cap space we are working with is truly ridiculous for a cash rich team like the Habs. Pretty sure we can accomplish both. Especially with an 80M+ cap next year.

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
oh, and remember due to his own personal financial situation, he isn't taking a discount in relative terms.

Says who? The rumours?

In Johnson case, the choices could pretty well be :
- Accepting a discount to play in the NHL.
- Not accepting a discount and don't play in the NHL.

Would you take the discount? Personally, I would.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Says who? The rumours?

In Johnson case, the choices could pretty well be :
- Accepting a discount to play in the NHL.
- Not accepting a discount and don't play in the NHL.

Would you take the discount? Personally, I would.

I meant to say in terms of a hometown discount per say. This is likely his last big contract in the nhl. I'd be a bit surprised if his AAV is below 3.5 million

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd be willing to sign Johnson on a 1 year team friendly deal... give him a shot to play with Weber and see if he can prove himself in a contract year playing in Montreal. A lot of teams are going to pass on him and who gives him a top paring opportunity like playing with Weber in Montreal? Seems to be a fit there but the deal needs to be very team friendly. Habs give him opportunity and he gives us a team friendly deal. Then he tries for the larger contract at age 32.

Last edited:

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
For me, signing your franchise goalie long term isn't the issue....but no goalie is worth that money, just my opinion.

It was a no win situation really. Price held all the cards and Bergevin would have been lynched in the streets if he let him walk for nothing or traded him. If he was around Lundqvist's money I'd be okay with it but hopefully the cap keeps rising I guess lol

Reactions: Liferleafer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Poor Habs fans.

Expectation: Tavares and Carlson
Reality: Plekanec and Johnson

Oilers expectation heading into this past season: Cup contenders
Reality: Bottom 10 team.

Even worse? No cap space to make any improvements. Sounds like you need a rebuild?

The expectation for the Habs is not Tavares (it's more like hope). Carlson is not a target of ours. Stastny and De Haan might be though. Nice try

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Geoff Molson to Bergevin, May 2018: Get me picks and prospects for a rebuild.

Geoff Molson to Bergevin, June 2018: Get me Jonathan Toews and Jack Johnson for a quick re-tool.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad