Confirmed with Link: McIlrath to Florida for Steven Kampfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
You said they played exceptionally well together but Yandle says here they only played together 8-10 games. Sample size no longer matters? Someone else referred to this as an extended stint. Maybe I don't get it but I just don't see a big difference between him being our 8D, in Hartford or in Florida. He's in a better place now.

Florida perspective: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/florida-panthers/fl-florida-panthers-1110-20161109-story.html

Yandle quotes:

Bolded is great. The people in this thread absolutely shredding McIlrath are the same people that are so quick to tell you that they know more about hockey because AV agrees with them.

What does Yandle know about hockey?

Now, I'm not using this to push forward my analysis, but to make others realize that their analysis has flaws. As does mine, for sure.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
You said they played exceptionally well together but Yandle says here they only played together 8-10 games. Sample size no longer matters? Someone else referred to this as an extended stint. Maybe I don't get it but I just don't see a big difference between him being our 8D, in Hartford or in Florida. He's in a better place now.

Except that eye-test and memory is faulty, even for NHL guys. They played 21 games together by my count.

lines-NYR-D.png

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
21 games is still a tiny sample size.

Who is extrapolating anything egregious from this sample size?

Most of us are just saying: When Yandle and McIlrath played with each other, they were playing at the tier of a 2nd pairing and played well.

I'm uncertain what's wrong about that.

The Mouth

Blueshirt Underground on You Tube
May 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Ah yes, the classic hyperbole after one of our most polarized prospects scores his first NHL goal should be taken 100% at face value and that one hyperbolized attribute should be used to describe him every time. That should lead to a lucid, intelligent, well-thought-out discussion.

Npt Hyperbole when a actual poster on this prestigious board posted it. Don't ask me to link it. I saw it in real time, with other over the top exaggerations. Like he is a top four defenseman right now and he could be the Duncan Keith type we need. This has all been in the last two years. You want to know how I actually feel ?

I was really rooting for this kid. But AV didn’t think he was a good fit. I thought he could be a good Six. I do find it ironic that the Rangers organization would stand behind a player it drafted with such certainty for such a long stretch of time and let him go without giving him a legit shot. The organization endured a lot of time watching and waiting as he rehabbed from his disastrous knee injury. Then the Rangers went as far giving him special tutelage from Jeff Beukeboom in Hartford. This all ultimately played out in seeing their six year investment in Mcilrath translate into a trade with Florida for Steve Kempfer and a conditional pick. it will be interesting in how he plays or not plays in Florida.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Who is extrapolating anything egregious from this sample size?

Most of us are just saying: When Yandle and McIlrath played with each other, they were playing at the tier of a 2nd pairing and played well.

I'm uncertain what's wrong about that.

It would be cool if that's all people were saying.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
It doesn't matter to us anyway since Yandle's not on the team any more.

Besides, I have my doubts McI will be paired with Yandle either since Florida doesn't have McD playing ahead of Yandle and the Rangers don't have Ekblad or Demers ahead of McI.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
All McIlrath can do is play hard wherever he is. If he doesn't stick in the NHL now, he gets another chance when he becomes an UFA over the summer.

Florida sucks. They were supposed to be competitive with Tampa for the ATL division title with all the upgrades on the backend they made. Their toward the bottom of the standings in the East.

This is just a shake things up move and let guys know their jobs arenr guarantees. He'll get a few games and looks and then probably be sent back down barring a stretch of play we've never seen from him.

Ekblad and Demers are legit top4D and a tier or two above McIkrath. Petrovic and Pysyk are established NHL regulars too and objectively better than McIlrath. If he plays out of his shoes and finds some untapped chemistry with yandle, maybe he'll stick but I don't see it. He's clearly below the previously mentioned 4 guys on the depth chart.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Surprised this thread is still going. Will be interesting to see if McIlrath can succeed in Florida. Wouldn't bet on it though. He probably doesn't hit the games mark and will become UFA

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Florida sucks. They were supposed to be competitive with Tampa for the ATL division title with all the upgrades on the backend they made. Their toward the bottom of the standings in the East.

This is just a shake things up move and let guys know their jobs arenr guarantees. He'll get a few games and looks and then probably be sent back down barring a stretch of play we've never seen from him.

Ekblad and Demers are legit top4D and a tier or two above McIkrath. Petrovic and Pysyk are established NHL regulars too and objectively better than McIlrath. If he plays out of his shoes and finds some untapped chemistry with yandle, maybe he'll stick but I don't see it. He's clearly below the previously mentioned 4 guys on the depth chart.

Haven't seen Florida play this year yet--but I do know they are only carrying 7 defensemen so, for the moment, McIlrath remains in the NHL. The trade was the best thing that could happen to him, his chances are better in a new organization than they were in New York. It's a long-shot, but...

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
You can like him, just sick of the attitude towards AV being some clueless moron. Its not only you, usually others really.

Plus the whole "I hope McIlrath becomes great so I can be right" BS

I wish him the best, to prove him self,and have a good carrier. Hope they give him a chance to learn more from Yandle.

fredrikstad

Jan 4, 2011
Norway
Ok I will make a last post on the topic before I move on.

McIlrath proved last season that he can play in this league AND that he actually could be a pretty good D. I don't think -- anyone -- disagreed with that when he had a full time job in December.

But like I said back then, Dylan McIlrath needs to play and play and play to keep developing, and when we didn't do that we faced a huge risk of down-right ruining him. And that is what we did. Or like who knows how he will react to playing a lot the coming months, if he can get back on track. But he wasn't nearly as good this fall as he was last season. And now, of course many will say "he sucks", without taking into account that we besides one months last season sat him more or less the entire year. Those nights when he barely got to dip his feets on the ice in the spring more or less don't count.

This is what I wrote during the spring:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=114755883&highlight=mcilrath+ruin#post114755883

McIlrath "failed" for two reasons, (i) Dan Girardi plays the spot he can have on a team, (ii) when he needed to play with had Girardi, our inofficial captain, Kevin Klein and Dan Boyle in front of him.

I just don't agree that he was overrated.

Over and out! ;)

Great written. I agreed 100%.
I guess this is one of the things that are better in Europe. We can dress more players and give them some shift's if the team doe's well that night, or are chance less for that matter.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Everything documented about the past.......it's a done deal! Get over it, i have. Sooooo happy that he might actually get a shot in Florida, I'll get to see him often. Good luck Dylan!

He'll (and Yandle) probably get a cup (like Hags did) before we do.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Npt Hyperbole when a actual poster on this prestigious board posted it. Don't ask me to link it. I saw it in real time, with other over the top exaggerations. Like he is a top four defenseman right now and he could be the Duncan Keith type we need. This has all been in the last two years. You want to know how I actually feel ?

I was really rooting for this kid. But AV didn’t think he was a good fit. I thought he could be a good Six. I do find it ironic that the Rangers organization would stand behind a player it drafted with such certainty for such a long stretch of time and let him go without giving him a legit shot. The organization endured a lot of time watching and waiting as he rehabbed from his disastrous knee injury. Then the Rangers went as far giving him special tutelage from Jeff Beukeboom in Hartford. This all ultimately played out in seeing their six year investment in Mcilrath translate into a trade with Florida for Steve Kempfer and a conditional pick. it will be interesting in how he plays or not plays in Florida.

So then respond to that person. You phrase things in a way that it clearly gets directed towards a lot more folks who had nothing to do with that statement you are referencing

Great 2nd paragraph. He could flame out entirely, it was a horrendous pick in foresight. But it was ALSO horrendous management from the coach which sub marined what appeared to be something the team could salvage from a draft disaster.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
But it was ALSO horrendous management from the coach which sub marined what appeared to be something the team could salvage from a draft disaster.
Maybe, maybe not. If McIlrath flames out in Florida, it could show that AV knew exactly what he was doing (in this case).

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Undertaker making his Panthers debut tonight for anyone that cares.

(Edit)

Panthers announcers (Potvin: first thing I check out was his skating stride and it seemed to be pretty good), Yandle was consulted prior to deal, Mcilrath staying at Yandle's house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad