Post-Game Talk: McDrai Showtime - The Best Show On Earth

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
So I'm going to change the channel on this love fest lol.

That was a great game but a few things

- I understand Reaves is a plug but there has to be a response on him. Yes he got a penalty but that was after running the show when he's on the ice.
- Klefbom While playing extremely steady he needs to be move off the powerplay. He does a terrible job at holding the line and making smart decisions with the puck when he does get it on the the line. Someone like Bear should be anchoring the blue line with the 1 pp unit.
-Russel and Larson should both be gone at the trade deadline. Thats 8 miilion in cap playing #5,6 roles. Hopefully Holland can find bargain price dman to replace them freeing up cap to get a top 6 winger for RNH and JJ (No i didn't put Neal there for the simple fact he's slow which is fine if he can be responsible on the 3rd line and excel on the 1st pp unit)

But at the end of the day Tippet has done a great job handling the goalies. By sticking to the 2x2 schedule he's proving to the goalies that no matter what you will get a chance to redeem yourself. And each of the goalies have responded amazingly

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
PP goal in Reeves plus a win is good enough a response for me. Or we can trade for Lucic again.

Bear or Nurse or Persson might be better on PP but it is still clicking so no change is required until it struggles. If we can Bear locked up under 4M per then sure put him up in top unit

Russell and Larsson will be needed in post season. I would take this as bottom pairing over another winger. If anything we should add another veteran Dman not trade 2 veterans.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed watching that game. We outworked one of the best and hardest working teams in the league. Felt like a playoff game tonight. Nice to have your depth players playing well. Let's keep it rolling.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
From the Vegas board:
Look at the Oilers defense, they aren't great at the defensive side but then look at this game. They can be mediocre in their own zone because they are good at keeping the pucks in the offensive zone while they are on the ice. Same end result.

We need someone who can help get us in the offensive zone more often and keep us there longer.

Teams are looking to us for how a defence should look... what a refreshing change.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
So I'm going to change the channel on this love fest lol.

That was a great game but a few things

- I understand Reaves is a plug but there has to be a response on him. Yes he got a penalty but that was after running the show when he's on the ice.
- Klefbom While playing extremely steady he needs to be move off the powerplay. He does a terrible job at holding the line and making smart decisions with the puck when he does get it on the the line. Someone like Bear should be anchoring the blue line with the 1 pp unit.
-Russel and Larson should both be gone at the trade deadline. Thats 8 miilion in cap playing #5,6 roles. Hopefully Holland can find bargain price dman to replace them freeing up cap to get a top 6 winger for RNH and JJ (No i didn't put Neal there for the simple fact he's slow which is fine if he can be responsible on the 3rd line and excel on the 1st pp unit)

But at the end of the day Tippet has done a great job handling the goalies. By sticking to the 2x2 schedule he's proving to the goalies that no matter what you will get a chance to redeem yourself. And each of the goalies have responded amazingly

Great points!
I really want to love Klefbom but I agree he needs to be moved off the PP. If Holland can unload Russel and Larsson, the future is going to look really bright!

Only thing I disagree with is the goaltending. I also like Mike Smith and “sometimes” he plays fantastic but Koskinen has been so much better. Interesting to see how the Islanders and Oilers are doing so well with the 2x2 goalie system tho so I don’t expect any changes, I just don’t see Smith as good as Koskinen or at the level of Greiss/Varlamov.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Great points!
I really want to love Klefbom but I agree he needs to be moved off the PP. If Holland can unload Russel and Larsson, the future is going to look really bright!

Only thing I disagree with is the goaltending. I also like Mike Smith and “sometimes” he plays fantastic but Koskinen has been so much better. Interesting to see how the Islanders and Oilers are doing so well with the 2x2 goalie system tho so I don’t expect any changes, I just don’t see Smith as good as Koskinen or at the level of Greiss/Varlamov.

Second 2-game stretch where Smith has a bad game 1 then a good game 2. I think there’s something be said about Smith always wanting/needing to be in the thick of things to be comfortable. We’ve seen this with how he plays the puck - he admits that sometimes it can backfire, but that’s how he plays, he can’t do it otherwise, and I’d surmise part of that is because he thrives while feeling the pulse of the game. I think it could also translate to him stringing wins together, or lack thereof.

Tiny sample size I know, but if I’m the coaching staff this is something I keep an eye on, and try to figure out how to combat that while still sharing the load with Kosko so we don’t have to risk burning him out.

Ser Pudman

Nov 25, 2013
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it. Did Nuge not pass the puck to Drai on the 2nd McDavid goal? It sure looked like it to me, yet he didn’t get an assist
Looked to me that Nuge didn't touch it and it went off the Vegas defender

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
So Dave Randorf clearly says “no!” after McDavid’s first goal. Either he didn’t think it went in, or he hates the Oilers.

Lol, I missed that. Also when Bear scores, there's literally a 3-4 second delay from when he says "Bear shot..........scores." :laugh:

Must have been tearing up his betting slip and cursing with his mic off for a few seconds.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it. Did Nuge not pass the puck to Drai on the 2nd McDavid goal? It sure looked like it to me, yet he didn’t get an assist
looks like Nuge and McNabb both got to it at the same time

Austerlitz

Jun 26, 2018
We have the second best powerplay in the league. Klefbom has ten powerplay points. The obsession with replacing him there is puzzling to me.

Ethan Bear may one day run a powerplay. But he's a rookie having success in his current role. Let's just let that play out as is for awhile before adding more to his load.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad