McDavid's season at prime Gretzky/Lemieux level?

Is McDavid's season at prime Gretzky/Lemieux level?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
We will see. Great season. Huge props. I just think we will see next year.

prime Gretzky and Lemieux when healthy aren’t losing a Ross though. So as we look at this thread topic I can’t put it on that level.

also hasn’t it been shown that statistically peak performance is 20-24 for NHL players?

I literally said in the post you quoted I don't put it on that level either, but a large number of people do. Statistical performance peaks usually from 23-28, some later and very few earlier that don't atleast maintain it for a bit after 22. Unless you just look at plain point totals for certain players and ignore rises in scoring levels.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Ppg leaders in the 80s
Gretzky 2.40
Lemieux 1.96
Bossy 1.56
Stastny 1.41
Kurri 1.38

Ppg leaders in the 90s
Lemieux 2.06
Gretzky 1.37
Lindros 1.36
Jagr 1.32
LaFontaine 1.30

Gretzky/Lemieux just on another level, they even lapped their teammates. McDavid is still firmly in the Jagr/Crosby/Ovechkin level. If he can get big separation from Draisaitl next year and then keep it up for another 3-4 years I might reconsider.

McDavid just had a bigger points/game separation between him and Draisaitl than Lemieux did from Jagr in their last 2 seasons together. Draisaitl is no McDavid, but he may well be the 2nd best forward in the NHL so he is no slouch himself.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Mario scored 160 in 60 after taking a mid season break for a minor health procedure - radiation therapy for cancer.

I think that's a little more impressive.

slauzon01

Apr 2, 2022
McDavid just had a bigger points/game separation between him and Draisaitl than Lemieux did from Jagr in their last 2 seasons together. Draisaitl is no McDavid, but he may well be the 2nd best forward in the NHL so he is no slouch himself.
Notice that Mario played in 10-12 fewer games compared to Jagr, which would translate into 20+ more points on top of the 20 point lead he already has in the same games played.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Notice that Mario played in 10-12 fewer games compared to Jagr, which would translate into 20+ more points on top of the 20 point lead he already has in the same games played.
Not only that lol but this guy was seriously trying to compare drai to jagr?

slauzon01

Apr 2, 2022
Not only that lol but this guy was seriously trying to compare drai to jagr?
McDavid is closer to Jagr, who won 4 scoring titles. League scoring is up this year. Way up! Teams are averaging 3.10 goals per game, the most since 1995-96 when the league avg 3.14 goals per game. Mario led the league that yr with 160 pts in 70 games after missing 1.5 yrs to radiation/anemia symptoms. McDavid has 102 pts in 68 games with almost the same league scoring uptick and his only 3 pts ahead of 2nd place Drai in scoring. 1995-96, Mario was 22 pts better than 2nd place Jagr and 41 pts better than 3rd best Joe Sakic and Mario played 12 fewer games. Go figure.

Reactions: Mbraunm
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad