McDavid's season at prime Gretzky/Lemieux level?

Is McDavid's season at prime Gretzky/Lemieux level?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I think so. Offensively maybe he's still slightly below them, but he makes up for that by being decent to above average defensively (this season); they were offense-only centres and in most cases offense is all they need to be considered superior to others.

Additionally, his supporting cast isn't quite as good as theirs were. He has Drai whereas Wayne had Mess, Kurri, Anderson, Coffey etc. Mario had Murphy, Stevens, Tocchet, Francis, Jagr etc.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Atleast provide ERA adjusted stats if your gonna make a thread like this. He compares very favourably

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I think so. Offensively maybe he's still slightly below them, but he makes up for that by being decent to above average defensively (this season); they were offense-only centres and in most cases offense is all they need to be considered superior to others.

Additionally, his supporting cast isn't quite as good as theirs were. He has Drai whereas Wayne had Mess, Kurri, Anderson, Coffey etc. Mario had Murphy, Stevens, Tocchet, Francis, Jagr etc.

Gretzky put up a 212pt season before Coffey, Messier or Kurri ever hit 90. Team mates had absolutely nothing to do with his production.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Gretzky put up a 212pt season before Coffey, Messier or Kurri ever hit 90. Team mates had absolutely nothing to do with his production.

Why didn't he do the same with Callighen and MacDonald then? Gretzky could excel with lesser players too, but it's a bit rich to suggest that playing with all-time greats didn't help him.

Reactions: Mbraunm

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
No, it's not.

It might be among the closest though - but still, it's not. 56 games isn't 82 games. Other players have had stretches of ~50-60 games where they play at a crazy pace, and then slow down for the other ~20-30 games. Crosby, Kucherov, Thornton.

If he can keep this pace over 82 games? Sure - prime Gretzky/Lemieux level imo. (not peak - but prime, yes).

Also - there's still the Divisional format to consider. It's hard to properly gauge how much of an affect it had on his production. It probably helped at least a little - just not sure how much.

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
The fact that this question can be fairly discussed is a huge testimony to McDavid's greatness this year no matter what your answer really is.

It's 54-games season on a level of prime Gretzky/Lemieux, we don't know yet if he's able to produce like that in 82-games season.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Why didn't he do the same with Callighen and MacDonald then? Gretzky could excel with lesser players too, but it's a bit rich to suggest that playing with all-time greats didn't help him.

Probably because he was 19 years old? It doesn't matter what Messier, Kurri and Coffey ending up becoming. They were random no names when Gretzky put up 212pts.

Reactions: Mbraunm and Voight

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Prime level sure but not peak level. Great season and I look forward to seeing what he does when healthy in a more normal NHL next year.

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
What he's done is very impressive, but also remember he's playing in a division where the best team didn't even make the playoffs last year.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
No.

But this season and whatever he does next season with health is probably the closest we’re going to see for awhile.

And that’s a huge feat.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Didn't vote.

Not sure. He is close though.

Prime Gretzky is hard to match

97 is close this year

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
If he follows this up with a similar season next year, sure. But if he drops back to being a 115-120 point player in a regular 82-game season I'd consider it an anomaly.
Pretty much this.

I don't want to take away from what McDavid did this season, because he killed it 100%. But all that means is that McDavid was better at putting up offense against 6 teams than the rest of the NHL was. Regardless of the what division he played in, putting up a crazy high point/gp pace in 56 games in a season like this is not even remotely the same as doing it when you play all teams and everyone is healthy and there's no COVID stuff going on.

Next season will either prove people like me wrong (and I'm okay with that), or it will shut up a lot of Oilers fans that are trying to use these extremely odd circumstances and act like it's the norm.

Muggs

Oct 29, 2016
I voted yes, although I do believe that next year's #'s would really cement that belief.

So I understand why some need to see that league wide. The level of play and production in this era is absolutely there though.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
He's had an unbelievable season, but I'd have to see him maintain this PPG in a full season against all 31 other teams for me to put it at prime Gretzky/Lemieux level.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If he follows this up with a similar season next year, sure. But if he drops back to being a 115-120 point player in a regular 82-game season I'd consider it an anomaly.

Is anyone actually expecting this to happen considering he paced for 125 with a serious leg injury he played through the first half of last season?

Reactions: PULSATING and Muggs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad