Post-Game Talk: Mcdavid>Winnipeg Jets lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
With each passing game I'm more and more fearful Ehlers is Burmi……..

Something is definitely off, I’d move Ehlers up with Schief and Wheeler ASAP, Ehlers and Laine can’t be trusted to be on the ice at the same time.

Connors hustle might wear off on Laine and it gives Little a break for playing the D of three forwards and he can just babysit one guy!

I’d drop Copp to the 4th line and elevate Roslo, both Tanev and Lowry have stepped up their games, Copp hasn’t!

Actually I’d rotate Lemieux, Laine-lite, Perreault, Copp and Petan on the fourth and figure out which 3 belong!

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
He was totally Laine's guy, he had him from the red line on, had the angle and everything. You can see Ehlers stepping up to take Nuge because Laine had clearly picked up Nurse, until he decided to let him skate right past. That is one of the laziest plays I have ever seen.

I watched it several times and don’t see it the same way. There are three Jets in a radius of 1m in a perfect circle around Nurse when he’s rounding Laine, who is also covering the guy on the other side of the rink. There’s two Jets still in front of Nurse at that point, so Laine taking another step in front of Nurse would have left the passing lane open for a cross ice pass. Please watch it again, he clearly is also covering the pass and counting on the two guys in front. Nurse then rounds Ehlers, and Morrissey is gliding AWAY from the slot at that point (presumably desperately wants to change because he never got off the ice).

I am NOT defending his effort, I absolutely hated it, but I disagree on that play.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
With each passing game I'm more and more fearful Ehlers is Burmi……..

He was better tonight. Somebody must have said something to him before the game. The mistake was not reminding him before each period. If they can do that, he should be alright. Maybe after a year or two of that it will have sunk in.

Reactions: Ducky10

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Nurse is Laine’s man, he angles him at center, then slows down and waves at him. Ehlers leaves his man at the blue line to pick up Nurse, and does a weak ass wave at him. Both Ehlers and Laine then stand and watch Nurse as an exhausted Morrisey (thanks Ehlers) tries to come across

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Something is definitely off, I’d move Ehlers up with Schief and Wheeler ASAP, Ehlers and Laine can’t be trusted to be on the ice at the same time.

Connors hustle might wear off on Laine and it gives Little a break for playing the D of three forwards and he can just babysit one guy!

I’d drop Copp to the 4th line and elevate Roslo, both Tanev and Lowry have stepped up their games, Copp hasn’t!

Actually I’d rotate Lemieux, Laine-lite, Perreault, Copp and Petan on the fourth and figure out which 3 belong!
Hasn't the first line been on the red 5v5 in almost all the games? The defense seems bad all around.

Maurice is a hack who got lucky last year.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Eh... sure. RNH was Laine's man and Ehlers should have defended against Nurse on that play, Ehlers stepping up was a mistake. The whole thing started with Scheifele's refusal to change or a boneheaded pass by Ehlers to a changing Scheifele.

I will agree that Scheifele has some culpability. For Ehlers to pass to him, he must have either been lingering in the centre of the ice or heading there, instead of making a beeline to the bench for a change. I could be wrong though, I couldn't see Scheifele the whole time on screen.

Reactions: JetsFan815

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
I watched it several times and don’t see it the same way. There are three Jets in a radius of 1m in a perfect circle around Nurse when he’s rounding Laine, who is also covering the guy on the other side of the rink. There’s two Jets still in front of Nurse at that point, so Laine taking another step in front of Nurse would have left the passing lane open for a cross ice pass. Please watch it again, he clearly is also covering the pass and counting on the two guys in front. Nurse then rounds Ehlers, and Morrissey is gliding AWAY from the slot at that point (presumably desperately wants to change because he never got off the ice).

I am NOT defending his effort, I absolutely hated it, but I disagree on that play.
You must be watching a different video. When Laine approaches Nurse, at the edge of the center ice faceoff circle, Ehlers is just inside the blue line, along the boards, Morrisey is at the top of the face off circle to Helle’s left. There were never 3 Jets in a 1 meter radius. Laine waved and then coasted, Ehlers then waved and watched, Morrisey slid across too late

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
If casting blame after this loss it needs to cover many players wearing home jerseys. No single play or player cost this team the hockey game tonight, lots went wrong. Believe it or not we are still a very young club and will learn from our experiences.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Yep, boneheaded pass by Ehlers but to excuse Laine is just a refusal to accept any fault with Laine, willfully blind. He clearly picks up Nurse, actually watch the clip.

He is also covering the pass to the otherwise open guy, there’s still two Jets in front of Nurse at that point. He then rounds Ehlers and Morrissey decides to glide away from the slot, because he just wants to change. The third guy would be completely open otherwise. As I said I don’t defend his effort at all but someone had to take that passing lane what Laine is going. You can’t have all three guys on the puck bearer.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
If McDavid is so "special " then go get his autograph and carry his equipment bag to the bus before he leaves town.

I see no embarrassment at all in that interview by our captain.

Wheeler and his teammates can do no wrong in Wheeler's eyes. The media, on the other hand, is worthy of scorn for even the slightest suggestion of suboptimal play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad