McDavid vs Malkin on Tuesday

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Didn't show up? He was just didn't have a point. He did a lot of good things that just didn't end up on the score sheet.

McDavid had a good game, but saying Sid won because of his teammates is pretty ignorant.

I agree, people didn't watch the game if they think Sid wasn't good tonight and are just looking at the boxscore. Now, was McDavid the better player tonight? Yes I would say he was the best player on the ice tonight. It was a fairly even game though from both sides. Both goalies made some incredible saves, and both teams had some very good chances. It was a very wide open and exciting game, and its a shame it had to end on such a strange unlucky bounce that wasn't even shot by a Penguin player. With the way that game was played, 3 on 3 would have been incredibly exciting.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Usually Letang is pretty awesome at shutting down players. McDavid owned him.

Well, more correct to say that McDavid owned Dumoulin.
Letang did not have a great game defensively, but it was not about being beaten individually by McDavid. The way he defended on the second Edmonton goal was hilariously bad though. One could argue he was too high on the play on the first also, but I don't really think that was on him. More on Sid for making that high risk, no-look pass with that much speed against on the ice.

Ultimately, Connor showed his stuff... he is a great player. And the Pens won. Edmonton will win a lot of games playing like that.

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015

i wouldn't say Mcdavid owned him. Letang made some horrendous pinches that resulted in 2 on 1's going back the other way, its like he underestimated Mcdavid speed or something. I honestly think he was overconfident trying to make those pinches to keep the puck in. He should've just played it safe and kept Mcdavid in front of him.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

When did McDavid beat him personally?

Letang made some mistakes he usually doesn't make (bad pinches, missing assignments), but I don't recall McDavid dancing him or going by him at all the whole night.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Well, more correct to say that McDavid owned Dumoulin.
Letang did not have a great game defensively, but it was not about being beaten individually by McDavid. The way he defended on the second Edmonton goal was hilariously bad though. One could argue he was too high on the play on the first also, but I don't really think that was on him. More on Sid for making that high risk, no-look pass with that much speed against on the ice.

Ultimately, Connor showed his stuff... he is a great player. And the Pens won. Edmonton will win a lot of games playing like that.

To be fair to Dumoulin, McDavid has made that same play on a lot of dmen in this league including many top pairing Dmen (and hell even some Norris winners/candidates in the world cup). Thats the kids bread and butter and its really not even fair at times. The D defending him when he's coming across the blue line like that is in a very tough position. If he tries to step up on him then McDavid can dump it past to himself and side step the check with his insane agility. If the D backs up to neutralize his speed he has to do it early and give Connor much of the circle to work with. And if he plays him like he would any other player in the league, which he did on that play, then Connor does what he did. He slows up to give the false illusion that the Dman has him covered and then he hits the gas and blows by, and nobody in this league can accelerate at the rate that Connor can, especially not a D skating backwards that needs to pivot.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'd agree that McDavid had the best game of the bunch, but Sid had a very good game himself. He created the Pens 2nd goal and set up Sheary for a point blank chance that Pouliot ended up knocking into his own net. Sid created pressure all night and it led to two of the Pens four goals.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I assume skating? Pretty close I'd say. Probably McDavid slightly.

Yeah probably. I think McDavid has some of the best acceleration I've ever seen, but in terms of top speed Karlsson was probably every bit as fast and as smooth of a skater.

Its the acceleration and agility at top speed (as well as puck control) that really sets McDavid apart from the rest of the elite skaters in the league.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Who wins: McDavid or pre-injury Karlsson?

“When McDavid takes off, no one can keep up. He skates at another level from everyone else. I haven't seen a player that much faster than all the other players since Bobby (Orr). It really is something.†- Scotty Bowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad