McDavid vs. arrival of Chiarelli/McLellan

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I can't wait to see McD play and winning the lottery changed everything. But, personally, I'm more jacked about getting out of the clutches of the worst managerial cabal, hellbent on keeping their jobs and digging themselves out of the hole they created, and it kept getting bigger.

I suppose u could say the arrival of McD lead to the change, but I'm not so sure.

Anyway, yeah McD, but THANK GOD they're gone!!!! (Well, mostly).

I want to see how players like Yak, Nuge and Hall play under a proper coach

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
We can thank Eakins for LD, McDavid and getting (mostly) rid of the OBC. MacT would still be in charge if he removed Eakins.

I don't think he was allowed to remove Eakins.

2 coaches were on payroll when he went to ownership and told them he wanted to can Kruger and bring on a 3rd.

Basically made the PROMISE Eakins would be the final piece of the puzzle, and no more coaches would be on payroll. This sort of explains why when Eakins was fired, he couldn't just HIRE a coach, as the payroll situation did not change thus shuffling happened within the organization.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Now the coaches and free agents might have been a result of McDavid but I think Chia was given free reign and an open wallet to turn the team around by 2016 and thats why he came aboard...McDavid just makes his job a little easier in the short term.

It makes his job a lot easier. Without McDavid, the Oilers are still a crap team (with promise) in a cold city with a lot of travel over the season, just with a new GM and coach. How do you convince FAs to sign or established players to waive no-trade clauses? If the choice is between Edmonton or anywhere warmer, bigger, closer to other NHL cities or a city with an already good team, they would go there. McDavid, along with the other skilled players on this team, is a whole nother story.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Why is there a vs in the title?
Getting McDavid trumps everything...

I am not a huge Chia fan and if we didnt get MCLellan we still had a good shot at Babcock. at worst we wouldve had Nelson back.

without Chia we probably had a better shot at Hamilton as well..

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
After Nicholson was initially hired I thought that things would turn around from an organizational structure perspective. IMO, the worst month in Oilers history was last December, and when Nicholson was mostly quiet the fear that he was part of the OBC entered my mind. Even the hilarious pre-draft lottery play on "the night before Christmas" on one of the Oilers blogs referred to a "pointless forensic audit."

I knew how smart he was, and part of me knew that there was no way that he could possibly be ok with the unaccountable, incompetent country club atmosphere in the Oilers front office. He proved me right. Thank god.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
The correct answer is "Jay Woodcroft"

I loved getting Chiarelli, who's built great teams in the past, and is in the right spot to take the pieces and assemble a contender.

I loved getting McLellan, an experienced coach with a record of developing strong teams.

I loved getting Herbers and Johnson, great coaches with a wealth of experience.

Woodcroft, though? Powerplay tactician, with tools like Hopkins, Hall, McDavid, Eberle, Draisaitl, Yakupov, Sekera. Edmonton's powerplay has been poor compared to the relative talent, and it's been a significant contributor to the poor finishes in the standings. I think that Woodcroft can fix it.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

I loved getting Chiarelli, who's built great teams in the past, and is in the right spot to take the pieces and assemble a contender.

I loved getting McLellan, an experienced coach with a record of developing strong teams.

Woodcroft, though? Powerplay tactician, with tools like Hopkins, Hall, McDavid, Eberle, Draisaitl, Yakupov, Sekera. Edmonton's powerplay has been poor compared to the relative talent, and it's been a significant contributor to the poor finishes in the standings. I think that Woodcroft can fix it.

KD Lang and Justin Schultz put together = Jay Woodcroft.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
KD Lang and Justin Schultz put together = Jay Woodcroft.

If KD Lang can turn Edmonton's skill players into a top 5 powerplay in the NHL, I'd not only buy her albums, I'd introduce them as the new goal scoring songs.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

I'd say that the PP under Eakins was poor relative to talent, but every other coach from Renney on has been able to get it to one of the best in the league at one point or another. With a solid PP coach like Woodcroft I have even higher hopes.

Eakin's PP system was one of the most ridiculous, illogical set ups that I have ever seen. The team is on track to set a record for SH goals against? Better keep forcing the puck to the point with Schultz as the only guy back. Idiot.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

With the talent level of the forwards, most of which are on the precipice of their primes, and Mclellan/Woodcroft I think this team will be in the upper half of the league scoring wise.

I'm more interested to see how Johnson/Herbers do with our young D men who are going to need some strong direction.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
McDavid is the most important piece because we don't have any of the management we now have of we didn't get him.

He may not have the biggest impact on the results right off the bat in comparison to the management group but we have them because of Connor

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
If KD Lang can turn Edmonton's skill players into a top 5 powerplay in the NHL, I'd not only buy her albums, I'd introduce them as the new goal scoring songs.

More people ought to listen to this.

It's brilliant.

KD takes waaaayyyyyy too much flak IMO.

She's a friggin local artist.

/rant

Last edited:

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
More people out to listen to this.

It's brilliant.

KD takes waaaayyyyyy too much flak IMO.

She's a friggin local artist.

/rant

KD gets flak? She's brilliant. She was at the Folk Fest 4 or 5 years back, and she played this. You could hear a pin drop on that hill it was stunning. She's amazing.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I don't see it that way at all. In fact, there's a strong possibility that there's no Chiarelli and/or Mclellan if there was no McDavid IMO. There's probably no Sekera either as well as the other many possibilities for roster upgrades that have now opened up because of the Golden McTicket.

As important as having a competent GM and coach is, having a franchise altering talent like McDavid is infinitely more important. Winning the lottery immediately transformed the franchise. I shudder to think about what shape the franchise would be in if they didn't win the lottery.
Either way, I think we can all agree that we're glad to have both McDavid and management/coaching change.

Most definitely, winning the McD sweepstakes is more important/impactful. But from a personal satisfaction standpoint, getting rid of those idiots (and they really were idiots) is far more pleasing, to me anyways.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Having Eakins coach McDavid is like giving an entitled teenager with a learner's permit the keys to a McLaren P1.

OMG, I shudder at the very thought. He'd probably try to make McD a 200ft player. "He may be a big deal, but I'm the sheriff in this town"

In that funny cartoon voice: "The worst coach ever." But, Mct's hiring of him is really the cause of all this positive change. That move both ruined and fixed everything.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2008
Most definitely, winning the McD sweepstakes is more important/impactful. But from a personal satisfaction standpoint, getting rid of those idiots (and they really were idiots) is far more pleasing, to me anyways.

That would be true if they really got rid of them.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
2 ways to look at it.

#1: No Mcdavid = Why would PC or Mc come here?
#2: No PC or Mc = business as usual.

It's a tie.

If we hadn't gone through coaching and management changes we'd all be cringing right now. We'd be pissed off that Mac-T and K-Lowe were going to screw it all up a thousand times over.

If we hadn't drafted Mcdavid there wouldn't have been as much pressure to make those changes and we'd be free to continue to exist in limbo for at least a few more years.

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
2 ways to look at it.

#1: No Mcdavid = Why would PC or Mc come here?
#2: No PC or Mc = business as usual.

It's a tie.

If we hadn't gone through coaching and management changes we'd all be cringing right now. We'd be pissed off that Mac-T and K-Lowe were going to screw it all up a thousand times over.

If we hadn't drafted Mcdavid there wouldn't have been as much pressure to make those changes and we'd be free to continue to exist in limbo for at least a few more years.
Chia said he would have come to Edmonton even if the Oilers hadn't won the lottery. I heard it with my own two ears.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad