McDavid vs. arrival of Chiarelli/McLellan

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I can't wait to see McD play and winning the lottery changed everything. But, personally, I'm more jacked about getting out of the clutches of the worst managerial cabal, hellbent on keeping their jobs and digging themselves out of the hole they created, and it kept getting bigger.

I suppose u could say the arrival of McD lead to the change, but I'm not so sure.

Anyway, yeah McD, but THANK GOD they're gone!!!! (Well, mostly).

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The old regime may have unbelievably screwed up McDavid as well if they were still around, so it's just as well.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
Getting Chiarelli and Mclellan is much bigger then getting McDavid. Changing the culture of this team is vital to this team having any success. I have faith that Chiarelli will assemble a more balanced team that won't be butter soft.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
last night i was discussing/arguing with a buddy who is a massive homer flames fan. he claimed that the change in management was precipitated by McDavid's agent contacting the oilers and telling them he would pull a "lindros" if they didn't sort out their management group.

i don't believe it, and prefer to think that winning the lottery prompted katz to take a long look in the mirror, but it's an interesting theory.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
McDavid is a much bigger deal imo. MacT was on thin ice. It was extremely obvious as his rhetoric was intensifying and the media started skewering him. If he wasn't fired now, he would have been eventually if nothing changed. If we didn't get McDavid now, we would never be able to find a player like that in the future. Also, if we still had MacT there is a good chance that we would have got Hamilton and/or Lucic since we were basically shut out of those discussions because of Chia's relationship with the Bruins. Our offer for Hamilton was quite a bit better than Calgary's, and MacT has loved Lucic since forever and would have paid the price there for sure.

As for McLellan vs Nelson, that I will grant. MacT didn't commit to Nelson though, and I bet we would have got someone like Byslma or DeBoer.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
last night i was discussing/arguing with a buddy who is a massive homer flames fan. he claimed that the change in management was precipitated by McDavid's agent contacting the oilers and telling them he would pull a "lindros" if they didn't sort out their management group.

i don't believe it, and prefer to think that winning the lottery prompted katz to take a long look in the mirror, but it's an interesting theory.
The clean up was set in motion last December when Katz hired Nicholson as vice chairman of OEG. The wheels were already in motion to place Nicholson at the very top. He was obviously going to clean house and put the people whom he thought would give them the best chance to succeed.
Tell your Phlegms buddy to keep the tinfoil on his head

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The clean up was set in motion last December when Katz hired Nicholson as vice chairman of OEG. The wheels were already in motion to place Nicholson at the very top. He was obviously going to clean house and put the people whom he thought would give them the best chance to succeed.

also McDavid is clearly not the type to demand a trade.

However I believe you are right about what Nicholson wanted, although I think that winning the lottery might have sped up the process. Getting McDavid makes it clear that the team needs to have the right people in place from day one to get this thing right, because the stakes have been raised. Getting McDavid also impressed Chiarelli enough that he wanted to run the Oilers now. We had the opportunity to get a big upgrade on MacT and we pounced on it.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
i wish i could find the CBC After Hours with McLellan's first appearance on the show after he was hired by the Sharks. he exuded a professional, winning attitude and was very confident and direct. i have a lot of confidence in him moving forward.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009
They are still around though.

only because they are on the payroll. MacT didn't even have a job title for a few months after Chiarelli was hired. he still doesn't have a job description. i doubt his responsibilities will have much direct impact on the organization moving forward.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The way I see it:

Lowe/MacT were already gone. Nicholson was compeletly the org review and saw how bad they were. But if they were gone im guessing we get much lesser people than Chia and Mclellan

Then around the same time we get Mcdavid, and we instanly become a go to destination, Babcock wants to come here, mclellan signs on, Chia comes over

As for Mcdavid vs personnel change, McDavid will have a much bigger impact ainec. Coaches come and go, franchise generational players win cups. Mclellan will have a big impact tho, hes the perfect coach for us. Chia is good, but hes no Bowman

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
I can't wait to see McD play and winning the lottery changed everything. But, personally, I'm more jacked about getting out of the clutches of the worst managerial cabal, hellbent on keeping their jobs and digging themselves out of the hole they created, and it kept getting bigger.

I suppose u could say the arrival of McD lead to the change, but I'm not so sure.

Agreed. McDavid is freaking amazing, but having Chiarelli replace Lowe & MacT, and having McLellan replace Eakins is balm for the soul.

The way I see it:

Lowe/MacT were already gone. Nicholson was compeletly the org review and saw how bad they were. But if they were gone im guessing we get much lesser people than Chia and Mclellan

Then around the same time we get Mcdavid, and we instanly become a go to destination, Babcock wants to come here, mclellan signs on, Chia comes over

As for Mcdavid vs personnel change, McDavid will have a much bigger impact ainec. Coaches come and go, franchise generational players win cups. Mclellan will have a big impact tho, hes the perfect coach for us. Chia is good, but hes no Bowman

I try to weigh McDavid's benefit, vs the old management regime's detriment to see which makes more of a difference, and I keep coming up with the old regime time, and time again.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Getting Chiarelli and Mclellan is much bigger then getting McDavid. Changing the culture of this team is vital to this team having any success. I have faith that Chiarelli will assemble a more balanced team that won't be butter soft.

I don't see it that way at all. In fact, there's a strong possibility that there's no Chiarelli and/or Mclellan if there was no McDavid IMO. There's probably no Sekera either as well as the other many possibilities for roster upgrades that have now opened up because of the Golden McTicket.

As important as having a competent GM and coach is, having a franchise altering talent like McDavid is infinitely more important. Winning the lottery immediately transformed the franchise. I shudder to think about what shape the franchise would be in if they didn't win the lottery.
Either way, I think we can all agree that we're glad to have both McDavid and management/coaching change.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Agreed. McDavid is freaking amazing, but having Chiarelli replace Lowe & MacT, and having McLellan replace Eakins is balm for the soul.

I try to weigh McDavid's benefit, vs the old management regime's detriment to see which makes more of a difference, and I keep coming up with the old regime time, and time again.

Mcdavid vs old regime is old regime probaly. But it would be mcdavid vs avg (new) regime. I think the regime was gone with or without mcdavid. mcdavid got us Mclellan, chia, sekera tho

I think the biggest thing mcdavid did was rejuvinate current Oilers players. I have a feeling Hall had one foot out the door (was criticized but got no support, 5 years of failure), and now they are motivated to win

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Mcdavid vs old regime is old regime probaly. But it would be mcdavid vs avg (new) regime. I think the regime was gone with or without mcdavid. mcdavid got us Mclellan, chia, sekera tho

I think the biggest thing mcdavid did was rejuvinate current Oilers players. I have a feeling Hall had one foot out the door (was criticized but got no support, 5 years of failure), and now they are motivated to win

Personally, I don't know if McDavid precipitated the change, but I think the wheels were in motion regardless. One thing is for sure though, we have new management, and McDavid. :yo::yo::yo:

And no more stink of Dallas Eakins. Chop failure, carry pink slips.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Personally, I don't know if McDavid precipitated the change, but I think the wheels were in motion regardless. One thing is for sure though, we have new management, and McDavid. :yo::yo::yo:

And no more stink of Dallas Eakins. Chop failure, carry pink slips.

I think this is the best offseason for us in a LONG time. Get the generational talent? check. Get a perfect coach for the team? check. Get rid of rotten mgmt? check. Sign some good FAs? check

Now lets sign Franson/ Erhoff and Boyes and its a perfect offseason

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
McDavid for me. The OBC was on thin ice. So a change would have been in the cards sooner or later. I like Chia but there would always be a decent shot at a guy his calibre. McLellan is also a very good addition, but if the choice was McLellan and no McDavid vs Nelson and McDavid I choose the latter without hesitation.

McDavid is a very special player. In the end though, we have both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This is exactly how I see it too and I was saying it on this forum that the wheels for change were in motion the day Nicholson was hired. Mactavish was gone for sure even without getting Macdavid. The stuff that went on this past December leading up to Eakins firing and the immediate aftermath of it should be proof enough. Nicholsons going public to announce he was now working in hockey ops two days after rumors were swirling around pretty much every Oiler player on the roster and saying the team's core of players weren't going anywhere signaled Mactavish had been stripped of his power. Mactavish's bizarre press conferences the last half of the season including the year ender where he acknowledged he didn't have much credibility left was the strangest thing I've ever heard a GM say. He knew he was finished regardless of how surprised he said he was when Chiarelli replaced him.

Winning Macdavid in the lottery may have got us better managerial and coaching replacements but it had nothing to do with the changes themselves.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

I think it was the new arena scheduled to open fall 2016. New Arena = new way of doing things

Now the coaches and free agents might have been a result of McDavid but I think Chia was given free reign and an open wallet to turn the team around by 2016 and thats why he came aboard...McDavid just makes his job a little easier in the short term.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Chiarelli//McLellan will make a more meaningful impact short term, but McDavid appears to be a once in a generation type player. He'll likely outlast Chiarelli and McLellan and his impact will (hopefully) be felt for many, many years here.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
I still don't have high hopes for this team or season until something happens to change my mind. IE: Games that matter after October.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I happen to believe that the 2 (Chiarelli and McLellan), an dthe McDavid win are almost but not quite mutually exclusive.

MacT said himself that every part of the org was under scrutiny when Nicholson came in, and we all know what Nicholson did behind the scenes on many occasions.

McDavid was a simple gift from the hockey Gods.

I'm equally pumped for both the player, the team, and the coaching and Management core.

And I have no issue with MacT and Lowe on board neither.....if anyone cares.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad