Player Discussion McDavid sit out the All-Star game?

Do you think it's a good idea for McDavid to sit out the All-Star game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Oilers will very likely be in the thick of the playoff race all season long.

For all the poor play they have done recently... they are still just 1 pt back of a both Calgary and Winnipeg for a playoff spot. 2 pts behind the Canucks and Yotes. 4 pts behind Vegas.

Sure they can keep falling... but they can just as easily recover and start playing better than .500 hockey again and gain slowly on the field and at a minimum stay tight in that playoff race.

Arizona (4-6-0) and Winnipeg (4-5-1) aren't playing gangbusters hockey now either... and all season long the teams in this playoff race (which the Oilers are a part of) are going to go through ups and downs and at times look excellent and at other times look mediocre.

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Time for McDavid to take a stand.

The abuse he receives nightly is unacceptable.

IMO, the people who voted no are contributing to the Oilers being a Patsy.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I really don't like the all-star games, and (iirc) I was one of those thinking that Draisaitl would be better off not going last year.

I still don't like the all-star games/exhibitions one bit but I have changed my mind on the other part though. I think it probably does them good going there, at worst it's a nice little holiday to relax and have fun. At best they get to hang around with with some legit elite players who hopefully can share some advice on how it is playing through adversity...

That said and Drai's spring stats apart, I also remember that post-all-star break last season was almost as bad as it got all season. I think we won like 1 game in the first 10 GP after coming back from the break...

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I am not sure about that “best player in the league” thing anymore... I’m not saying that to start a fight, but geez McDavid’s got big holes in his game lately... most electrifying? Absolutely... but I’d take Crosby cause he does everything a Captain should in 200ft to win as a team... OR I’d even take Mackinnon cause he seems more consistent... just saying.

Recency bias is a helluva drug.

Cantor2537

Feb 24, 2016
They should make the all star game worth something like MLB. Like the winner will have home ice advantage throughout the playoffs for that division.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not sure if mentioned here but Dylan Larkin is imploring fans to not vote for him, he doesn't want to go, and that he would rather have the rest. That's verbatim. To me that's the right answer, a refreshing answer. Not only does Larkin not require or want the accolade, distraction, and demand on his time, he's stating it matter of fact.

The ASG means nothing. Its a fancy ball for the type that like to go the prom. You knew these people in highschool.

I'd be indifferent to it myself, and would take the Dylan Larkin route everytime. I can't help but imagine a team and its fans would be proud of Larkin as well for taking this stance.

The ASG is a nothing event, probably with some boozing, and I can't remember players ever coming back sharp after attending it. NHL ASG has gotten to be almost like a GREY Cup week long hangover. Just axe it. Who cares about this ASG crap?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ovie will get suspended a game to do that. It's not worth it.

Is there any link to the NHL having such a rule? What a f***ing joke.

Go to the Highschool prom or you're suspended from school a week. PS you MUST drink the spiked koolaid punch and look happy about it for the cameras or else..

(I'm being sarcastic with the comparison but..)

Is the NHL so absolutely lacking in self esteem as a relative pro league that they have to mandate their stars appearing at their ball?

Jebus not even Hollwood does that with the emmys and that is a strictly entertainment and face recognition business.

The ASG is a joke, it is even to most of the players. The right answer isn't to mandate showing up, its to f***ing can the meaningless thing indefinitely.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If you want to be the face of the league, you gotta go. Look at LeBron, plays on Christmas, NYE and goes to the All-Star every year
I think McDavid cares more about winning than being the face of the league. Half of American hockey fans probably don’t know who he is.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Is there any link to the NHL having such a rule? What a ****ing joke.

Go to the Highschool prom or you're suspended from school a week. PS you MUST drink the spiked koolaid punch and look happy about it for the cameras or else..

(I'm being sarcastic with the comparison but..)

Is the NHL so absolutely lacking in self esteem as a relative pro league that they have to mandate their stars appearing at their ball?

Jebus not even Hollwood does that with the emmys and that is a strictly entertainment and face recognition business.

The ASG is a joke, it is even to most of the players. The right answer isn't to mandate showing up, its to ****ing can the meaningless thing indefinitely.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nb...ially-suspended-withdrawing-all-star-game?amp

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I wonder which deep south team will be hosting the All Star game this year? Nothing screams hockey, like the Deep South.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Meh...the highest pressure is media tugging at you.

Go through the motions, take Lauren, clear the pipes and come back fresh.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
At this point in his career and with his status, he should play if healthy. The Oilers can't afford him to have the one game suspension.

I'd also say it's a good thing with it still early in his career to rub shoulders with other quality players and leaders to learn a few things or possibly build relationships to make players want to come here when the opportunity arises.

I'll probably feel different when he's into his late twenties if the Oilers are coming off a long cup run the year before and poised to make another run.

As it currently is, the Oiler's last game is a full week before the event and there's another 3 days off after it so he has ample opportunity to rest within the context of an already very light January schedule prior to the break with only 2 games between January 11 and 29th.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Not sure if mentioned here but Dylan Larkin is imploring fans to not vote for him, he doesn't want to go, and that he would rather have the rest. That's verbatim. To me that's the right answer, a refreshing answer. Not only does Larkin not require or want the accolade, distraction, and demand on his time, he's stating it matter of fact.

The ASG means nothing. Its a fancy ball for the type that like to go the prom. You knew these people in highschool.

I'd be indifferent to it myself, and would take the Dylan Larkin route everytime. I can't help but imagine a team and its fans would be proud of Larkin as well for taking this stance.

The ASG is a nothing event, probably with some boozing, and I can't remember players ever coming back sharp after attending it. NHL ASG has gotten to be almost like a GREY Cup week long hangover. Just axe it. Who cares about this ASG crap?

Larkin doesn't want to go as McDavid will beat his ass in the fastest skater competition proving that them allowing him to cheat to set the record was a farce. I'd vote him in just to see that happen.

Also makes him look like a loser. Resting for what, his team is the worst in the league by a large margin. He'll get a shit ton of rest come April.

Last edited:

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
At this point in his career and with his status, he should play if healthy. The Oilers can't afford him to have the one game suspension.

I'd also say it's a good thing with it still early in his career to rub shoulders with other quality players and leaders to learn a few things or possibly build relationships to make players want to come here when the opportunity arises.

I'll probably feel different when he's into his late twenties if the Oilers are coming off a long cup run the year before and poised to make another run.

As it currently is, the Oiler's last game is a full week before the event and there's another 3 days off after it so he has ample opportunity to rest within the context of an already very light January schedule prior to the break with only 2 games between January 11 and 29th.
I'm going to vote for Larkin lol

Reactions: Tw0Shoes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad