Confirmed with Link: McDavid signs 8-year, $100M extension ($12.5M AAV)

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
:laugh: Just seen this on McDavids happy to be a Oiler Tweet

y347iPG.jpg

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
It's kind of painful how bad McDavid is at interviews. I don't think it's an Edmonton thing and more a media thing.

Not that he needs to worry about that crap. It'll come eventually or it won't. It should get easier with success and cups too....or so I'm told.

BCNeil

Apr 21, 2016
I haven't paid much attention to these boards lately other than checking here and there, but some of the comments as well as what I've heard on 1260(this morning again) is just ludicrous.

I can't wrap my head around people that wouldn't want to spend 12.5mil on one of the best players in the game. They'd rather get a lessor player and spread the wealth. Having a center that is one of the best in the game allows you to spend less on other parts of your team. Instead of having to bank on multiple elite wingers you can get away with 1. You can overcome not having a number 1 d-man. Have people not seen what Pittsburgh has done?

The guy out of Buffalo this morning suggesting that if Eichel won the Hart that he wouldn't want to spend in the neighborhood of 12.5mil on Eichel just seemed off base. I guess some people rather have multiple 5 million dollar men that are 50 point players instead of 1 100 point player that makes everyone around him better.

Most of it is sour grapes. I say every other team in the league would take him right this minute for $100 over 8. Most other teams would be willing to pay more too. Do whatever it takes to fit him on their roster.

The intangibles he brings outweighs the extra 2-3 million he is getting, over what some people hoped he might sign for. Who knows what the future holds. Maybe 5 years from now a UFA who would never have considered coming here 5 years ago....will come play with Connor, maybe even take a discount. So far that effect has worked against us with Lucic...I think McDavid is the main reason he came here.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
pending lockout

Has to do with the opt out possibility I assume? Sept 2019 either side can opt out of year 9 of the agreement, which could kill the 20/21 season, so he drops to 13M that year (12M bonus). I guess they assume if 20/21 isn't opted out of, then it's likely the term of the CBA will just ride out to the 10 year finale, so his salary bumps back up for 21/22 (15M, 13M signing bonus), and then drops again for when the CBA has to be renegotiated no matter what for the 22/23 season.

edmoil3

Mar 26, 2010
It's kind of painful how bad McDavid is at interviews. I don't think it's an Edmonton thing and more a media thing.

Not that he needs to worry about that crap. It'll come eventually or it won't. It should get easier with success and cups too....or so I'm told.

I thought Connor did a good job at the press conference.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
pending lockout

The agents are getting smart with structuring these bonuses.

Players with bonuses, payable before a potential lockout begins are smart for the individual players and the NHLPA as a whole. Drai will do the same with his contract.

I suspect that the combined costs of McDavid and Drai's bonuses alone will be a major factor pushing Katz to oppose a lockout.

I don't think there will be another lockout in the league for a long, long time.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia

Players with bonuses, payable before a potential lockout begins are smart for the individual players and the NHLPA as a whole. Drai will do the same with his contract.

I suspect that the combined costs of McDavid and Drai's bonuses alone will be a major factor pushing Katz to oppose a lockout.

I don't think there will be another lockout in the league for a long, long time.

My god to I ever hope you are right.

The last one almost killed my love for hockey.

Until day 1 of the season :laugh:

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003

If a future lockout lasted a whole year wouldn't Mcdavid play the next season for his one million base salary only?

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I don't think think it's much of a reach. He got 100 while still in a boys body. Imagine once he has man strength. He's only gonna get more powerful and faster.

The refs will adjust though. He will become less effective.

Happens to every generational talent. If they called the game the same as they do for everyone else, they would generate 3-4 PPs/game on their own.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Maybe at a lockout we can see signing bonuses not affect cap hit and then absolutely destroy the league afterwards.

Just imagine, McDavid, Lucic and Draisaitl on a combined 10 million cap hit. That would cause the downfall of society. Pure anarchy in Toronto and Montreal.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Interesting chart of the top 5 cap hit %'s vs the next 30 guys over the years.

Actually been going down over the years. Likely when McDavid's contract starts he will be ~16% of cap, so, this chart might actually go up again a bit, like it did back when the last generational/borderline generational guys got their big paydays (OV, Crosby, Malkin).

Big dif between 10 years ago and now is probably how all the middle 6 and 3/4 D have had their salaries inflate over the years as the value of depth and team building to be competitive in the playoffs has become more understood. Perhaps those lower end player salaries will start to drop off again if the 10M cap hit club starts to really grow again thanks to McDavid's deal. I think we've already seen a bit of a different dynamic this summer with so many vets that can still play signing for ~1M. That may have to start leaking over into other tiers of players if the NHLPA doesn't want to use their escalator and force up the escrow %.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
If a future lockout lasted a whole year wouldn't Mcdavid play the next season for his one million base salary only?

No. This was a major part of the Weber offersheet. Philly tried to make it as intolerable as possible. If the whole 2012-13 season was lost to a lockout then by July 1, 2014 Nashville would have paid $40M for just 82 games of Weber.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
No. This was a major part of the Weber offersheet. Philly tried to make it as intolerable as possible. If the whole 2012-13 season was lost to a lockout then by July 1, 2014 Nashville would have paid $40M for just 82 games of Weber.
So in what year of Mcdavid's contract does he not receive his bonus? Or does he get more than 100 million if there were a lockout that lasted a year?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
So in what year of Mcdavid's contract does he not receive his bonus? Or does he get more than 100 million if there were a lockout that lasted a year?

Unless the league dissolves, he gets the amount of salary designated as a signing bonus for the coming season on july 1st every year, regardless if the season is played or not. July 1st 2018 he will get his first bonus cheque for 13M, and he will be paid the remaining 2M through the 18/19 season, and end up with a total of 15M for the year. He can only make less than 100M if 1 or more seasons aren't played. The amount less would likely only be a 1M salary portion if one of the most likely lockout seasons (20/21 or 22/23) actually occurs.

Last edited:

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014

There almost certainly will be a lockout in 2 (or 3? Can't remember). They are setting it up already.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
There almost certainly will be a lockout in 2 (or 3? Can't remember). They are setting it up already.
It's not unlikely but one positive sign was that the owners were willing to go to the Olympics if the players agreed to not reopen the deal until the end of this CBA. This is a sign that the owners do not have a significant agenda that will drive a long lockout at this point.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's not unlikely but one positive sign was that the owners were willing to go to the Olympics if the players agreed to not reopen the deal until the end of this CBA. This is a sign that the owners do not have a significant agenda that will drive a long lockout at this point.

I'm a little surprised we haven't heard about non-guaranteed contracts. I remember right after the last lockout Friedman(I think) was talking about the players know that the next lockout is going to focus on that. Hence why there were some small things that they really pushed for last time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad