McDavid, RNH And Draisaitl Or Bergeron, Marchand And Pastrnak?

Which trio would you rather have on your team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
Bruins: 67GP, 44 + 55 = 99P (1.48 PPG)
Oilers: 75GP, 39 + 69 = 108P (1.44 PPG)

It's pretty even in terms of how much they have produced for their teams this season. Surprised it is so lopsided considering we are only looking at next 2 seasons.

RNH is the clear weak link and gives the edge to Boston for me. Boston's group is the better defensive and goal scoring trio.

Your facts and logic are not welcome on HF!!!!

Get out of here with that common sense using objective reasoning!!

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
People never account for the Bergeron factor for this. He's lightyears ahead of any of these players defensively and it gives the Bruins trio a completely different dynamic.

He's also been killing it on the score sheet. 141 points in 118 game since the beginning of 2018. 59 goals. Basically a goal every other game (exactly).... I feel like it's not fully appreciated how much Casssidy has unleashed out of Bergeron's offensive game. Pastrnak and Marchand too. While still maintaining the defensive aspects. It's pretty incredible. None of those three are reliant on any other player. Put Marchand or Pastrnak with anyone, it's instant offense. Put Bergeron with anyone, it's instant shutdown/scoring line (as it's been for 10+ years). Marchand and Pastrnak are at a different level offensively, the same way Bergeron is defensively IMO.

Reactions: Trap Jesus

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Bruins: 67GP, 44 + 55 = 99P (1.48 PPG)
Oilers: 75GP, 39 + 69 = 108P (1.44 PPG)

It's pretty even in terms of how much they have produced for their teams this season. Surprised it is so lopsided considering we are only looking at next 2 seasons.

RNH is the clear weak link and gives the edge to Boston for me. Boston's group is the better defensive and goal scoring trio.

Wonder what the numbers would look like if they put Nuge with McDrai.

Isaak16

The Universe Is Here
May 7, 2013
Alberta
He's also been killing it on the score sheet. 141 points in 118 game since the beginning of 2018. 59 goals. Basically a goal every other game (exactly).... I feel like it's not fully appreciated how much Casssidy has unleashed out of Bergeron's offensive game. Pastrnak and Marchand too. While still maintaining the defensive aspects. It's pretty incredible. None of those three are reliant on any other player. Put Marchand or Pastrnak with anyone, it's instant offense. Put Bergeron with anyone, it's instant shutdown/scoring line (as it's been for 10+ years). Marchand and Pastrnak are at a different level offensively, the same way Bergeron is defensively IMO.
Yeah sure

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In the last 2 years:

Oilers trio: 319 games, 158 goals and 401 points, .50 goals/game and 1.26 points/game
Bruins trio: 277 games, 150 goals and 359 points, .54 goals/game and 1.30 points/game

Anyone voting for the Oilers trio here is not actually looking at the numbers, the Bruins trio has been more productive and it's obviously way better defensively. The difference between Bergeron and RNH (.47 goals/game and 1.2 points/game for Bergeron, .31 goals/game and .79 points/game for RNH) is way bigger than the difference between Marchand and McDavid (.51 goals/game and 1.36 points/game for Marchand, .57 goals/game and 1.57 points/game for McDavid) and Pastrnak and Draisaitl (.65 goals/game and 1.31 points/game for Pastrnak, .61 goals/game and 1.42 points/game for Draisaitl).

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
In the last 2 years:

Oilers trio: 319 games, 158 goals and 401 points, .50 goals/game and 1.26 points/game
Bruins trio: 277 games, 150 goals and 359 points, .54 goals/game and 1.30 points/game

Anyone voting for the Oilers trio here is not actually looking at the numbers, the Bruins trio has been more productive and it's obviously way better defensively. The difference between Bergeron and RNH (.47 goals/game and 1.2 points/game for Bergeron, .31 goals/game and .79 points/game for RNH) is way bigger than the difference between Marchand and McDavid (.51 goals/game and 1.36 points/game for Marchand, .57 goals/game and 1.57 points/game for McDavid) and Pastrnak and Draisaitl (.65 goals/game and 1.31 points/game for Pastrnak, .61 goals/game and 1.42 points/game for Draisaitl).
That's not to mention the TOI disparity over that stretch:

ES TOI/G

McDavid: 18:41
Draisaitl: 18:04
Pastrnak: 15:25
RNH: 14:49
Marchand: 14:48
Bergeron: 13:32

Their PP time at least is pretty uniform though:

McDavid: 3:30
Draisaitl: 3:26
Pastrnak: 3:25
RNH: 3:23
Bergeron: 3:19
Marchand: 3:14

There are numerous reasons why people are picking the Oilers, and they're all very surface level. People overvalue draft status, people undervalue defensive play, and people hate Marchand.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
The Bruins trio would win every time in a game of 3 on 3 with simialr tenders...Bergeron keeps McDavid at bay which neutralizes the rest.
clearly you didn't see the OT between Bruins vs Oilers last year

lmao no one keeps McDavid at bay. although he can keep Matthews and all of leafs at bay on one leg and one hand

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
In the last 2 years:

One of the problems with using points for a trio that play together versus a duo and a player on another line is that the trio is going to overlap more on points but not necessarily lead to more goals. No doubt RNH would have more points if the three of them played together. There's been 66 goals this year that one or more of the Oilers players has gotten a point on. There's been 54 goals that one or more of the Boston players have gotten a point on. That's not a perfect measurement either because now it benefits the team where one player plays apart, but the fact that the Boston trio is going to inflate one another's totals needs to be taken into account.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
One thing to consider that I haven't seen mentioned is that, you're going to have an excellent top line and PP with either of these options. But the Boston players also give you the best PK duo in the league.

Reactions: wintersej

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
McDavid

Marchand/Drai
Pasta

Bergeron

RNH

I'll take the 3 with the best player in the world, but it's close.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
clearly you didn't see the OT between Bruins vs Oilers last year

lmao no one keeps McDavid at bay. although he can keep Matthews and all of leafs at bay on one leg and one hand

That's funny...last I checked McDavid's playoff stats were worse than Mark Letestu that one and only time lol. Imagine comparing one regular season game to a playoff series where it's all on the line haha

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
That's funny...last I checked McDavid's playoff stats were worse than Mark Letestu that one and only time lol. Imagine comparing one regular season game to a playoff series where it's all on the line haha
I agree. McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge have won a playoffs series where as Matthews,Marner,Nylander haven't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad