McDavid out two to three weeks with a quad injury

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
Team should be able to go .500 without him which should keep them in the thick of things.
Well, they currently have a .527 winning percentage. I have a feeling losing McDavid will result in more than a .027 drop. Especially with that sched coming up.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
This is a one man team now. Leon can only do so much.

already the best player in the game this year.... time for Draisaitl to cement his legacy.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
He’s been dealing with injuries the entire season, it’s honestly impressive that he has been so productive and still played at the level he has. No telling what a healthy and rested McDavid would have been able to do. Hope for a speedy recover and that he comes back stronger.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Okay, so if we shouldn't go by information provided by the organization, what would you recommend? We assume he's out for the year?

I'm pretty sure there is a happy medium in there somewhere, right?

Or are you going to claim that the Oiler's have a track record of getting injury time lines right?

They have gone from....."It's nothing to it's a Charlie Horse to it was planned for him to be on the ice a short time to he's a game time decision to he's flying to TO for therapy and will be out for three weeks".

Not exactly reliable reporting, no?

All I'm asking is why some people are claiming he'll be back prior to the two week "best case scenario"?

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I'm a Calgary fan and I don't love McDavid being injured. He's one of, if not the best player in the league.
Well lot of Vancouver fans are sure loving it. Yet I got crapped on when I mentioned negative things about them.
Oh well, let them expose themselves.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I'm pretty sure there is a happy medium in there somewhere, right?

Or are you going to claim that the Oiler's have a track record of getting injury time lines right?

They have gone from....."It's nothing to it's a Charlie Horse to it was planned for him to be on the ice a short time to he's a game time decision to he's flying to TO for therapy and will be out for three weeks".

Not exactly reliable reporting, no?

All I'm asking is why some people are claiming he'll be back prior to the two week "best case scenario"?

Its fan optimism. Totally understandable when you lose someone of McDavid's caliber.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Nuge sure, hell the whole team, but how in the hell is Drai supposed to "step up"??

He's producing at 2.00ppg over the last month. You are expecting him to increase on that?

Nah, I didn't write that. Nor imply it.

I simply meant that all eyes will now be on Draisaitl: He'll face the opposition's best checking line, their toughest defense-pairing, and have one less generational player feeding him passes on the powerplay. Oh, and he'll probably have to do all that without the team's only other legitimate top-6 player on his wing (RNH - who presumably will now be moved back into the 2C Role).

If those two centres can help weather the storm over the next 3 weeks - I'll consider that stepping-up in a huge way. Even if their offensive production dips rather significantly.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think this might seal the Art Ross for Drai. I'm convinced he'll go on a tear here.

I think that 'second line' of Drai/RNH/Yam might be good enough to keep us at .500 for this stretch.

We now have three 4th lines.

Why couldn't this injury happen when we played like 3 games in 20 nights around the All Star Break?

I was very opposed to signing Kassian for 4 years but kept being assured he has great qualities, intangibles you just can't measure, speed, hands and skill. A tremendous combo of those things. I look forward to seeing his point total/intangibles during this time since he's a big part of our 'core'.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Dammit.. I'm a little slow today... didn't occur to me this might result in splitting up 'line 2'.

Well, who knows - Maybe Tipp decides to keep that line together?
If I were a betting man though, I imagine we'll see Drai and Nuge centering separate lines.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Nah, I didn't write that. Nor imply it.

I simply meant that all eyes will now be on Draisaitl: He'll face the opposition's best checking line, their toughest defense-pairing, and have one less generational player feeding him passes on the powerplay. Oh, and he'll probably have to do all that without the team's only other legitimate top-6 player on his wing (RNH - who presumably will now be moved back into the 2C Role).

If those two centres can help weather the storm over the next 3 weeks - I'll consider that stepping-up in a huge way. Even if their offensive production dips rather significantly.

Gotcha......I agree, it's going to be a heavy lift for Drai.

With teams only having to focus on him, it won't leave him much room out there.

And yes, that elite PP just took a huge hit.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, who knows - Maybe Tipp decides to keep that line together?
If I were a betting man though, I imagine we'll see Drai and Nuge centering separate lines.
I think you're right... What's better... a legit 1st line and 3 x 4th line or a 2nd line (Drai and Co), 3rd line (RNH and co) and 2 x 4th line (piece it together anyway you want)?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
That's a tough break for Edmonton at this time of year. Hopefully he heals up nicely and we get to see him in the playoffs.

nshlphoenix

Feb 11, 2020
When you lose to Taylor Hall it's pretty clear you're not popular amongst the voters. I mean Taylor Hall is pretty much the posterboy for unlikeable...
I didn’t realize the Hart was most likable player award...

edit: added a word

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
So this essentially splits RNH & Drai up. RNH will need to be the #2 C. That second line is going to be a huge issue.

And I hope McDavid isn't going to go through what Crosby went through in his early years with injuries. The similarities arethere though. McDavid's chances at the Hart take a huge hit too.​

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Good time for Drai to truly silence his critics and see if he can do what Malkin does. Edmonton currently 1 point from being out of the playoffs.

Look at this garbage. A Calgary fan posting about McDavid's injury with a line about Edmonton being 1 point from being out. I mean, it could be that the Oilers are currently in a playoff spot, TIED WITH THE FLAMES with two games in hand, but no.

Same day as a "Calgary won the Lucic trade" thread. You know? Both are pathetic.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hockey is not the same without there star players, wish him a speedy recovery.

Honestly, this.

As someone who watched some of Crosby's "peak years" be wasted due to injury and have a bunch of what ifs during what should have been his best offensive seasons, I'd rather not see the same thing happen with McDavid.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad