Injury Report: McDavid out 2-3 weeks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
giphy.gif

They should buy right now.
We might win 1 game when McDavid is out and then we will be completely out of the playoffs

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I think the toughest part about this injury is that it puts Holland in to a holding pattern again. Hopefully the Oilers remain competitive (they might not win, but they need to be competitive in games) and Holland sees that as enough to pull the trigger.
I feel like Holland should have seen enough by now to have decided whether or not this group is worth adding to to try and make some noise.

If he decided against it, I don't think anything will convince him to make a move, and if he decided they do deserve the help, I would assume this injury makes him a bit more aggressive in finding help sooner rather than later.

While this could potentially sink our playoff hopes, or make us come out the other side stronger, I don't think it's going to have a huge impact on what Holland does at the deadline.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Or we can win can go 5 - 2 while he out and still be contending for 1st place
I highly doubt it. We win games solely because guys can focus on McDavid and Drai gets open season. Without McDavid, they shut down Drai and we then have 3 entirely useless lines offensively. Unless our goalies get shutouts every night our chance of even beating Detroit is pretty low

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That's why they should make a trade now to make sure the team can hang around long enough for 97 to get back.
Unless we are finding 2 top 6 wingers like, today, it won't keep us in the hunt. We went from a 1 line team + McDavid to a 1 line team

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I highly doubt it. We win games solely because guys can focus on McDavid and Drai gets open season. Without McDavid, they shut down Drai and we then have 3 entirely useless lines offensively. Unless our goalies get shutouts every night our chance of even beating Detroit is pretty low

We haven't seen what this team can do without McDavid so lets see how it plays out before writing their obituary. It's not going to be easy but I don't think we should write them off before they even play a game.

Reactions: Balakay14

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Oh. Darn.

Well I actually think there will be reaction to this, and it will be better games from few guys.
Yes. I think Oilers can handle this and go to playoffs.

Tho as a partly Finn I trust in sisu quite a lot!!!

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
We haven't seen what this team can do without McDavid so lets see how it plays out before writing their obituary. It's not going to be easy but I don't think we should write them off before they even play a game.
I mean fair but we have seen this team with McDavid and we are struggling to hold a playoff spot. I don't see how removing the best player in the world would have this team being still a playoff team.

If we are only 6 points out of a spot when he gets back we still have a chance

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Tough break...get well soon, Connor!
With this big of a change in the lineup, Tippett has to rework his game plans as well as the lineup. A good test of how well this team can work as 5-man units and commit to playing above their heads. Step up, Oilers!

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Because RNH won't be on his wing in all likelihood. As good as Drai is, it's going to be hard to play at a top line level with a tweener on his left wing. Look at how much it's been handcuffing McDavid as of late. RNH was a key cog on that line.

Which will make the next two weeks of judging Drai's ability to carry a team without McDavid even more silly. They're going to take Nuge and even maybe Yama off that line to distribute depth, then throw Drai out there with no support against some of the best lines in hockey the next two weeks. Even Malkin has had viable wingers when carrying a Penguins team missing Sid.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad