Injury Report: McDavid out 2-3 weeks

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I would really like to see Holland show some faith in this group and bring in a top 6 forward immediately to help us stay afloat until Mcdavid gets back.

I understand waiting to see how the team does without Mcdavid, but I feel like he and Drai have earned some help with the playoff push at this point.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I agree.
The value of having a centre on the wing.
I am interested to see how the team responds.

My one worry with splitting the centers is who you play them with. I'm guessing Yamamoto obviously on Drai's RW and probably Kassian on RNH's line but that left side? Eek. Gonna have to grind out some wins, get real greasy.
Holland might have to make a trade to fill out the wings, give them something to work with.

Reactions: 3IR

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
Lot of high expectations for Drai to carry the group. I hope he does it and silence the haters. However, I don’t even expect McDavid or MacKinnon to carry this lineup. The Oilers best bet is that the rest of the team step up in McDavids absence. Even if Drai were to go 1.5 PPG during this stretch, I’d only expect the team to be around .500.

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008
Losing your best player is never a good thing. No matter how it is spun.

Well no doubt, but through adversity comes strength. Only a fool would say this is a good thing.

This group relies on him too much, so learning how to play without him while in the middle of a playoff race will not only give the management insight, but will force the boys closer together

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My one worry with splitting the centers is who you play them with. I'm guessing Yamamoto obviously on Drai's RW and probably Kassian on RNH's line but that left side? Eek. Gonna have to grind out some wins, get real greasy.
Holland might have to make a trade to fill out the wings.

I hear you...its a shame that 2nd line has to change.
Holland has to make deal now....the bad thing about that is that is means that its a deal from a position of weakness.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
The worst part about this is that all the other teams can just focus on Drai now. Unless RNH and Yam can keep up their production while potentially being away from drai. We could go from a 1 line team to a 1 man team depending on how they decide to change the lines.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I hear you...its a shame that 2nd line has to change.
Holland has to make deal now....the bad thing about that is that is means that its a deal from a position of weakness.

Yeah but they can't let this season slip away.
If they lose the next couple of games, he might have to make a panic trade because that cushion they currently have will be a lot thinner.

I know it sounds weird but I'm actually intrigued to see how they handle this adversity. If they can maintain their hold on a playoff spot when McDavid returns, this could serve to make them stronger when they become whole.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
yeah time to grind out some greasy 2-1 wins...commit to defense, have the goalies steal a couple

at least gather points in the meantime

massive test for the team and a critical time in the year

Reactions: Oilhawks

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
image (2).jpg

Reactions: Porkleaker

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The worst part about this is that all the other teams can just focus on Drai now. Unless RNH and Yam can keep up their production while potentially being away from drai. We could go from a 1 line team to a 1 man team depending on how they decide to change the lines.

Drai has to be our 1C and RNH will have to go back to 2C. Yamamoto on the top line, Kassian on the 2nd RW. Chaisson on 3rd RW?

I guess Gags is on as either the 2LW or 1LW.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Call up Benson. All will be well.

Too slow. He needs to improve his skating.

I'd callup Ryan McLeod to see how he handles the NHL. He's got NHL wheels and his hands are pretty good and his IQ is great. He just DOES NOT SHOOT. He's butterfly compared to Nuge but he's a good puck distributor and fast and skilled.

Reactions: Laodongxi

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton
Drai has 23 points in 13 games since the beginning of January running his own line and people are in this thread talking about how he needs to go "Malkin mode" and carry this team this team to the playoffs like he hasn't been doing that already... Boy theres some unrealistic expectations on here

Yup. People talking about Drai needing to elevate his play are in for a big disappointment. If he elevates his play anymore, he’ll really become the German Gretzky. We’ll be lucky if he keeps pace or even go 1.2+ PPG with other teams focusing on solely Drai.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I think the toughest part about this injury is that it puts Holland in to a holding pattern again. Hopefully the Oilers remain competitive (they might not win, but they need to be competitive in games) and Holland sees that as enough to pull the trigger.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Wouldn’t have happened if the refs actually called interference, hooking and holding that happens on him. f*** this league. They get what they deserve.

Reactions: TB12 and Porkleaker

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Drai has 23 points in 13 games since the beginning of January running his own line and people are in this thread talking about how he needs to go "Malkin mode" and carry this team this team to the playoffs like he hasn't been doing that already... Boy theres some unrealistic expectations on here

Because RNH won't be on his wing in all likelihood. As good as Drai is, it's going to be hard to play at a top line level with a tweener on his left wing. Look at how much it's been handcuffing McDavid as of late. RNH was a key cog on that line.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad