McDavid or Babcock

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I still can't believe half the people picked Babcock over McDavid. No way can you compare a coach to an elite talent like McDavid. THis poll shouldn't even be close.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Strange poll and completely irrelevant. Apples to oranges.

I think, with our team of highly talented forwards already, that Babcock would be better for this team than McDavid.

A team with junk, like Toronto, would be much better with McDavid.

Since we got McDavid AND McLellan, that is one thousand times better than if you could only take one as mentioned.

The poll really should be McDavid and McLellan versus Babcock and then you would see the landslide.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Strange poll and completely irrelevant. Apples to oranges.

I think, with our team of highly talented forwards already, that Babcock would be better for this team than McDavid.

A team with junk, like Toronto, would be much better with McDavid.

Since we got McDavid AND McLellan, that is one thousand times better than if you could only take one as mentioned.

The poll really should be McDavid and McLellan versus Babcock and then you would see the landslide.
Poll was started in 2014 when Eakins was still still our coach

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I don't really understand the question. We got McDavid, and look where that's gotten us. Although McDavid wasn't the sole reason behind personnel changes, I'm sure he helped somewhat in that regard. Not only does McDavid attract potential FA's but is also attractive in terms of a management standpoint, where say a Chiarelli or a McLellan sees this prospect and is enticed by developing the team he's drafted to.

The coaches are also only as good as their players. Ultimately it boils down to the people on the ice to get the job. The coach can only relay a message and try to get players to buy in.

Edit: Nevermind didn't check poll date :laugh:

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
McDavid then hire McLellan
QIUPsis.gif

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
lol why did you have to do that? I guess you proved that Leafs fans aren't entirely delusional. Always nice to rub the lotto win in their faces tho

Yes, I was surprised. Turns out they voted McDavid 10:1. Shows they are pretty rational. I didn't intend to gloat, I just posted out of honest curiosity.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yes, I was surprised. Turns out they voted McDavid 10:1. Shows they are pretty rational. I didn't intend to gloat, I just posted out of honest curiosity.

they're probably the most knowledgeable fan base in hockey, but they are a huge one too so they have every kind of wacko as well.

There was a period of time where they all believed the lottery was going to be rigged and that they were going to get McDavid because of the epic rivalry it would have caused. Media an bloggers definitely put fuel on that fire as well, and there was some 'proof' out there that the lottery was rigged such as the oddness of the Crosby draw.

So for them, their 6% or whatever was 100% (well, maybe between them and Arizona) and they followed McDavid every bit as closely as we did after we won the lottery. Of course, I wouldn't blame Leafs fans not tuning into the Otters after the lottery loss

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
they're probably the most knowledgeable fan base in hockey, but they are a huge one too so they have every kind of wacko as well.

There was a period of time where they all believed the lottery was going to be rigged and that they were going to get McDavid because of the epic rivalry it would have caused. Media an bloggers definitely put fuel on that fire as well, and there was some 'proof' out there that the lottery was rigged such as the oddness of the Crosby draw.

So for them, their 6% or whatever was 100% (well, maybe between them and Arizona) and they followed McDavid every bit as closely as we did after we won the lottery. Of course, I wouldn't blame Leafs fans not tuning into the Otters after the lottery loss

Ya, I know this leafs fan, huge hockey fan that knows a ton about hockey, who flat out stated the leafs will get McDavid. I thought he was joking, I pushed him, he wasn't. He really felt the NHL would give the Leafs McDavid.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
...who cares, and why curious... come on buddy

It is a good social experiment. We are Oiler fans, thus we are probably bias towards picking McDavid. You would think the Leafs then would be bias towards picking Babcock, turns out not true. Thus it is interesting.

Come on buddy!!!!

Last edited:

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Ok so obviously this thread was created during the Eakins era. We have improved a lot in many different aspects since then.

New thought..

McDavid + Nelson + Lowe and MacT

or

3rd pick + McLellen + Nicholson and Chiarelli

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
31% chose Babcock over McDavid?????? Do you guys, literally, have rocks in your heads?

Mon Dieu, people. Snap out of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad