McDavid or Babcock

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Babcock easily for me.

I'm scared for what will happen to McDavid if he ever has the misfortune of being coached by Eakins.

Coaching can't fix ALL the problems, but it can at least help make a roster play to its potential by motivating them in the right way, getting rid of the bad habits, and implementing good systems play, which another 18 year old won't.

There is a theory that you can't coach millionaires that have guaranteed contracts.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Dug this up for fun now that both Babs and McDavid have landed.

What a month.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
this thread was made while we still had Eakins as coach, during the absolute worst of it during late november.

I accidentally voted though while it was still up lol

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
McDavid = organizational turn over AND a franchise player all in one.

Even if he busts, we're still in a better position than just having Babcock. It's pre'sweet. It's pre'sweet indeed.

Kuudere

5-14-6-1
Feb 12, 2015
The City of SpOilers
Why would Babcock's contract bother you?(or anyone)

It doesn't effect the team's cap.

Well it's setting a standard now and soon all the coaches will be demanding just as much or somewhere close to it. Money never was an issue for coaches before but who knows, it could become a factor for future coaches :shakehead

psowrc

Feb 21, 2015
Well it's setting a standard now and soon all the coaches will be demanding just as much or somewhere close to it. Money never was an issue for coaches before but who knows, it could become a factor for future coaches :shakehead

Hey, good news. We have a new coach who should be here for a while. Let the other teams moan over the price of the next head coach.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

It was going to happen eventually, coaches in other sports make between 5 - 20 million per year. NHL coaches are relatively underpaid compared to their peers. It's actually one of the things we heard when Babwatch started, he wanted to change pay standard for coaches.

But again, it's not something that should bother fans as it doesn't effect the cap, the only guy who should be worried about such things is the owner. If anything, higher paid coaches means they become less disposable, and may have a trickle down effect of more accountability within the industry regarding the GMs who do the hiring.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Whoever chose Babcock in this poll is insane.

McDavid... And it isn't even close.

dsi

Sep 13, 2005
Ottawa
LOL the Babcock hire made it to the national TV news on CTV. Center of the Universe...

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Babcock isn't coming here and given our luck McDavid will probably be Stefan.

One of the weakest drafts ever. Mcdavid one of the better draft years.

i wouldn't take Babcock. I said this days ago that if you take guys like Phil Jackson, Al Arbour, Glen Sather, or any acclaimed coach they had a team with great players.

Babcock's record will be similar to another good coach they had in Randy Carlyle . The vets on the leafs don't even compare to Detroit's. I know the Toronto media will say he's the best thing for them, but he's not going to go score goals or do anything out of this world.

USC Trojans

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
May 17, 2002
LA Oiler fan
We got the 1st best draft pick, and 2nd best available coach. I'd say that's not bad. Here's a fun question:

McDavid + McLellan

or

Eichel + Babcock?

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
It was going to happen eventually, coaches in other sports make between 5 - 20 million per year. NHL coaches are relatively underpaid compared to their peers. It's actually one of the things we heard when Babwatch started, he wanted to change pay standard for coaches.

But again, it's not something that should bother fans as it doesn't effect the cap, the only guy who should be worried about such things is the owner. If anything, higher paid coaches means they become less disposable, and may have a trickle down effect of more accountability within the industry regarding the GMs who do the hiring.

Yea, you look at collegiate coaches in america - for basketball, and football especially NHL coaches don't get paid anything even comparable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad