McDavid Mikheyev race...who won?

Who won this race

• Total voters

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
There's plenty of guys in the league as fast as McDavid, so I'm not really sure why this is all that noteworthy.

The thing that separates him is the plays he can make with the puck at that speed.

Reactions: Skate2Stick

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Lots of players can skate fast as fast as McDavid in a straight line, but McDavid goes just as fast while splitting the D and cutting to the net with the puck.

Reactions: Skate2Stick

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
More importantly, who really cares? People continually act like the thing that makes McDavid "special" is his raw footracing speed. It's not. There are a lot of very fast straight line players in the league. The difference that makes McDavid special, is his ability to change gears on a whim, maneuver without losing speed, and most importantly...handle the puck deftly at those kind of speeds.

It's like the difference between a Dragster and a Formula 1 car. Put them in a straight line 1/4 mile race, and meh. It's the F1 cars ability to navigate an actual circuit at those kind of speeds that is such an impressive feat.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
McDavid won the race as he closes more of the gap...who gives a f*** .... McDavid was more into his shift... he seemed off the whole series and if this race happens again I place my money on 97 10 out of 10 times... don't think 97 even expected that so he kinda coasted the last bit thus losing the puck.Normal 97 would turn Micheyev inside out the last bit you could tell 97 just wasn't into it.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The real winners were the friends they made along the way.

2588624-Ralph-Waldo-Emerson-Quote-Its-the-not-the-destination-it-s-the.jpg

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Meh, he was at the end of a shift anyways.

It's his speed with the puck where he's faster with it than without it that matters. Besides, Mikheyev had a head start and McDavid closed that gap at the end.

Totally thread worry though. Such a mundane play lol

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
It doesn't look like McDavid was really going full tilt.

Nonetheless though, that was a great sprint by Mikheyev. I didn't know he had that speed.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
Looks like Mikheyev gets a couple good strides in cross over before McDavid realizes he needed to get on his horse as well.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
McDavid won in the sense that he prevented a Mikheyev from having a scoring opportunity. In terms of speed it was a tie, but they were fighting for the puck and McDavid did a good job.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Makes me think Edmonton should trade for Mikheyev.

He's not really gelling with Toronto's system/roster but looks like he can ride shotgun next to McDavid. Send Khaira back for more big physical playoff presence.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
This is why it is funny when people say McDavid only has speed

Do people actually say that? Can't say I've ever heard it. I mean there's been tons of ridiculously fast players in the NHL that only had speed and they don't do all that much. Matthew Lombardi was a great example of this and he's certainly nothing like McDavid.

Reactions: banks

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Means he's competitive. So that's good. If he lost like that and was all "what ev's" like Kessel was...that would be more worrisome.

That's his style of play. He really doesn't care. He is worried about being the hero and looking like a great player when in fact he is the kind of player that other players can't stand playing with. Big reason Crosby flat out refused to be on the same line as him.

Casual fans think kissele is a superstar and some are so naive they pretend he should have won a Conn Smythe which is, of course, pure poppycock.

Reactions: Drytoast

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Wasn’t that clean of a race and neither player looked like they were even going near their fastest. Virtanen vs McDavid had a much better race before which Virtanen won, where they both actually looked like they were going full speed

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Wasn’t that clean of a race and neither player looked like they were even going near their fastest. Virtanen vs McDavid had a much better race before which Virtanen won, where they both actually looked like they were going full speed
Lol....

Virtanen was... not end of the OT shift McDavid who still managed the get back and lift his stick. Nuckers and Leafers man...

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
This is why it is funny when people say McDavid only has speed. The difference between McDavid and other fast players is these guys can only skate this fast in a straight line without the puck. McDavid can carry the puck, change directions on a dime, stickhandle, make great passes ,and have amazing on ice vision at speeds none of these guys could ever do.

Someone actually said “all he has is speed” ???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad