McDavid hate rewarded by giraffes. lEafs beat Oilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
The core is toxic. A high turnover rate isn't ideal, but the suck is in the roots of the team. Hopefully the value on some of these players isn't diminishing too bad.

Agreed. I don't know how anyone could look at it from the outside and conclude otherwise.

The Oilers sure take a lot of flak for drafting first overall as well, but let's be honest, two of those players (both of whom were basically consensus #1's) are just terrible.

Yakupov probably won't even be in the league two years from now, and RNH is basically turning into Boyd Gordon with a better offensive game.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz I think will all eventually be gone, but I don't think that will start soon.

This is their time to prove what they're made of, and they're not showing well.

I just don't get why so many players are slumping right now. It's driving me batty watching players that I know are much better playing like dog crap.

The coaching and Management are new...they need to make proper evaluations. That requires that players reveal themselves over time.

That is playing out.

There are no short cuts here.

If guys like RNH and Eberle are deemed healthy they are earning tickets out of here. As a RNH fan that really sucks but he needs to get going.

Most of Hall's poor decisions come when the team is playing hopelessly bad though. He tries to do too much and forces the issue. He doesn't tend to make such bad decisions when the team is in the game.

True and he's a + player this season. I'm just wondering how big of a purge we may see.

I agree but man these are the kinds of games teams play when they've given up on the season.

And we know what that looks like better than any fanbase don't we? :help:

They need to stop with this pity BS because nothing will get them out of this other than hard work. If they are going to dog it then they deserve to be the laughing stock of the league. If we are adding a top 3 pick this year then build around him and ditch some of the others that are content to shut down when things don't look like they're going right.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
The frustrating part was the Leafs didn't even look that good, and yet the Oilers found a way to play worse. Credit to the Leafs for their strong PP; however, 5-on-5 they were just as inept as the Oilers offense. Tough game to lose.

True. Certainly not one of our best games. Especially early on. Honestly they have played significantly better this year and if anything have become more consistant regardless of the score of the game or the circumstances. The second goal was like a stake through the Oils heart today. The Leafs have been playing hard no matter the score. The Leafs biggest issues this year was Goaltending earky on and scoring. One of those has kind of been solved. The other will be there all season long.

As for the Oilers it might be time to do a Kessel like trade. Some of the assets are depreciating rapidly.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Agreed. I don't know how anyone could look at it from the outside and conclude otherwise.

The Oilers sure take a lot of flak for drafting first overall as well, but let's be honest, two of those players (both of whom were basically consensus #1's) are just terrible.

Yakupov probably won't even be in the league two years from now, and RNH is basically turning into Boyd Gordon with a better offensive game.
Our #7OA Nurse and #3OA Draisaitl have been better than #1OA Nuge, and #1OA Yakupov.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012

And a lack of faceoff ability + over-rated defensive game.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Just finished tweaking these for anyone in need.
2GWw5J4.png

I get that some fans are upset, but we are so much better off than we were a year ago. I couldn't take another year of Ikinzom and MacF, in fact I was close to giving up but I am so happy to take my lumps with the management and structure we currently have.

Just take a breath and realize that we are getting there.

You should add a skull and cross bones on that pill. Soft players are really hard to watch. This team is full of them.:skull::skull::skull:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No, guymez, I really don't. This team has no leadership, and was better coached under McLellan. I don't see the conflict.

There is nothing to suggest that this team was better coached under Nelson.

I dont think that you are a new fan....look back and tell me why the team closed out the last 3 seasons with a better record than they started with.

Why do you think that happened?

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
As posted above, this team has no balls. You can see it in the way they play: lazy, careless, no passion, no physical/feisty play. Everyone besides Drai and Nurse need to grow a pair or leave. I can't put into words how angry I get when I see our wimpy ass team getting physically destroyed only to whimper their way through 3 periods and accept without question the asspounding they just received and are going to receive, then come out next game only to let it happen over and over and never do anything about it.

**** man, even playing minor league sports where the games didn't matter my coach would tear into the team when we just let the other team wreck us. It was embarrassing after the game to sit down as a team and have everyone sitting in silence just waiting to get rekt. Then after the game you realize how **** you were, get ready for the next one and never let that **** happen again.

At this point I honestly would be happy with a team that didn't have much skill, but played the hardest game possible and never took any ****. Win or lose, that would be a team I would support because I know they will fight to get better. This team is the complete opposite of that, and it really sucks to watch.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
There is nothing to suggest that this team was better coached under Nelson.

I dont think that you are a new fan....look back and tell me why the team closed out the last 3 seasons with a better record than they started with.

Why do you think that happened?

We had really bad games under Nelly, I don't know why fans have such selective memory of his coaching here. Was he better than Ikonzim, Frick yeah.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
We had really bad games under Nelly, I don't know why fans have such selective memory of his coaching here. Was he better than Ikonzim, Frick yeah.

Let's all be honest. Fitness guru has to rank top 5 in the worst coaches category in NHL history.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Chiarelli is not going to go down in history as the guy who trade both Seguin and Hall. You can tell the Seguin trade still haunts him.

RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, Schultz though .... I wouldn't be stunned if none of them are here 1-2 years from now.

I think that RNH gets the most slack unless we get offered a deal that we can't refuse for him. He was playing pretty well until he got sick and has been garbage ever since. At least 2 of the other 4 are likely gone before next season though and my $ would be on Eberle and Schultz.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
And a lack of faceoff ability + over-rated defensive game.

Touche. God it kills me to even have to concede that.

Our #7OA Nurse and #3OA Draisaitl have been better than #1OA Nuge, and #1OA Yakupov.

I concur. It looks like they both have much higher upside than RNH and Yakupov do as well. I'm prepared to give the Oilers scouts a pass on it too because they were both consensus choices. The amateur scouts should be ****ing flayed alive for their performance in the 2nd+ round though.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think that RNH gets the most slack unless we get offered a deal that we can't refuse for him. He was playing pretty well until he got sick and has been garbage ever since. At least 2 of the other 4 are likely gone before next season though and my $ would be on Eberle and Schultz.

I'd put Yak into that conversation too but I'm not sure you get anything for him...

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I just don't get why so many players are slumping right now. It's driving me batty watching players that I know are much better playing like dog crap.

If guys like RNH and Eberle are deemed healthy they are earning tickets out of here. As a RNH fan that really sucks but he needs to get going.

This reminds of trying to break a long standing habit....the default is to slip back to what you know regardless of how destructive it has been.

In the case of the Oilers losing is what they know best. Changing that is going to be really messy and very uncomfortable.
Coaching is very important and when you are dealing with multiple personalities that all have (unknowingly) embraced losing it doesnt change quickly.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Benching works when you either don't have a super injured team or have even a single player in your bottom six that has had a good game this year.

Again in i agree, but that is conventional thought. This team is far past the stage where conventional coaching is proving to work. Id like to see Eberle and Yak sent to Bakersfield for a 4 game conditioning stint. Call up whomever puts up their hand when asked "are there any volunteers here that will go to Edmonton and play their asees off?" THAT would send a message.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Again in i agree, but that is conventional thought. This team is far past the stage where conventional coaching is proving to work. Id like to see Eberle and Yak sent to Bakersfield for a 4 game conditioning stint. Call up whomever puts up their hand when asked "are there any volunteers here that will go to Edmonton and play their asees off?" THAT would send a message.
You can't just send players down for a conditioning stint. Yak you might.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad