Post-Game Talk: McDavid Giveth and Taketh

stratedge

My relationship with the Oilers is abusive.
Jul 25, 2007
Calgary, AB
You know what, if the bottom six looked good then I can live with a single point. Everyone has bad games, even the best. Just means we can expect another strong bounce back game next time out from them

The problem is, it wasn't just a hard luck game. They played lazy and entitled, refusing to defend properly and hanging a goalie who was playing awesome out to dry while destroying his confidence. Cheating for offence or just plain being defensively lazy was a problem that had been creeping into their game, and it hit a new high today, and it's worrisome. You want players who value winning over their own personal stats, and today McDavid and Draisaitl gave their entire team big reasons to question what's important to them. That ain't leadership.

This is a critical time for the Oilers right now; if their 2 stars continue this crap after this afternoon, this good season is going to come crashing off the rails before the new year.

Reactions: oljimmy and HK97

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
McDavid and Draisaitl weren't good enough defensively. Bad giveaways and played way too soft/slow in their own end.

Reactions: booyakasha

pabst blue ribbon

🇺🇦🤝🇵🇱
Oct 26, 2015
PG
Can't believe Draisaitl and McDavid would look tired after they both played 17 minutes of ice time after 2 periods

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
The bright side here is that the bottom 6 played really well. We know that McDavid and Draisaitl are going to win a lot of games for this team on their own, but the fact that the bottom 6 showed up is promising.

I don't like to complain about a guy who does as much as McDavid does, pretty much night in night out, but he was defensively lazy today (as was Draisaitl). A guy with his massive abilities and smarts could be a selke-calibre defensive forward, but the effort wasn't there today. Of course, he'll likely come back with a vengeance next game.

Reactions: nally

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Every goal against is the same. Lost battle down low and then a goal by the trailing forward that can walk down Main Street either because the centre is puck watching in front or a forward is coasting on the back check.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
we were up 2 goals going into the 3rd period GARAUNTEED tippet told them to sit back and try the trap game, ****

This is the first game this year where they sat back on a lead. I dislike Tippett but doubt that is on Tippett.

But possible I suppose.

Reactions: rajan68 and nabob

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
They should've had this, not sure if I should blame the defense, Chris Lee's game management or Tippett for telling them to hold off and protect the lead.
Nah, it's mostly Benning's fault.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Those home games must have been a while back as Dallas has beaten us 5 out of the last 6 times

Oilers were 2-0-1 in home games against them in the past 2 seasons....ESPN wouldn't work for some reason for seasons prior.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Could have been 2nd overall after that - instead they are a mere third.

At least they didn't get shoutout.

Reactions: nabob

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Nurse and McDavid getting dunce cap instead of bike helmet after that ot effort!

Nurse always wears that dunce cap at least once a game. There was a play in the 3rd period where he was behind the net, and the puck was near him, and he's just standing there looking.

Reactions: Recast

oilers68

Oct 9, 2019
Seriously, give everyone a rest. It's like they forget they even have the option of calling one.

maybe becuase they dont want seguin getting a rest with around a minute and a half left and then comming out and scoring another one?? who knows man

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Sucks to miss out on the extra point before heading out on the road. This road trip will be a big test. Finish over 0.500 on it and our playoff chances are pretty good.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
I am usually more angry, but the Stars are ROLLING and we lost from a bad badcheck and sitting in the third.

Bottom 6 played well (The Khaira line mainly). I am sure McDrai will be kicking themselves and will be more hungry at the Shark tank than the last time.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nurse always wears that dunce cap at least once a game. There was a play in the 3rd period where he was behind the net, and the puck was near him, and he's just standing there looking.

OMG really? That sounds like the worst play ever!

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
take the point and move on.

Koskinen looks stellar. McDavid returning to unbeatable form....and the team generally should be good enough to get to the playoffs IMO.

need to keep rollin these mufa-s

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I am usually more angry, but the Stars are ROLLING and we lost from a bad badcheck and sitting in the third.

Bottom 6 played well (The Khaira line mainly). I am sure McDrai will be kicking themselves and will be more hungry at the Shark tank than the last time.

They played a solid 40 minutes. Problem is they got too defensive in the 3rd, and Dallas capitalized on a couple of their chances. Too bad P.Russell's shot didn't go in instead of hitting the post. That would have probably sealed the win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad