McDavid & Draisaitl vs Matthews & W. Nylander

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
The Edmonton duo makes a combined 21 mill.

Lets assule that Matthews next contract is 10 & Nylanders 7.5 mill (17.5)

Which duo would you rather have going forward? Which duo has the better cap hit relative to guestimated future accomplishments?

Those extra 3.5 mill that Toronto can spend, could be really important for a contending team.

Didn't include Marner for obvious reasons.

Am I perhaps underestimating what the MLs duo will be paid?

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Pick and choosy stats, but McDavid had more assist than Matthews had points this year,

I think that quantifies 3 million and change of higher salary cap.

But I could also in the same breath say Matthews scored as many goals in a season as 97's career.

Draisatl's main intangible that makes him valuable to the Oilers and worth paying 21 million for is,

allowing a 1/2 punch that allows either him or McDavid to avoid checking lines and one of them to produce.

cap%:value ratio for each team is close in my opinion. (A little closer than Oilers fans would like to think)

Jk I thought too much into this, yeah take the better player like guys below said.

Last edited:

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Please tell me no one refers to Auston Matthews as ''Math''.....

Disregarding the nicknames I'll pick the duo with McDavid if Toronto does end up signing those two for 17.5.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
I would take McDavid/Draisaitl anyday. We got two top notch centers and their production curve is on the rise. Shut up and take my money.

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017
Having McDavid is worth that extra 3.5 million.

Jets are getting their duo for about 14M, that's something.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
McDavid recently won a poll against Matthews and Nylander... alone. You should add Marner here to make it interesting.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Please tell me no one refers to Auston Matthews as ''Math''.....

Disregarding the nicknames I'll pick the duo with McDavid if Toronto does end up signing those two for 17.5.

True, it will only cause division.

I would select McDavid / Draisatl, as well, but I think it's closer than the general opinion here so far. $3.5 million is nothing to sneeze at, especially considering how top-heavy the cap structure will be for each team.

Kylie Sven Opossum

Higgs Boson Blues
Jul 14, 2011
True, it will only cause division.

I would select McDavid / Draisatl, as well, but I think it's closer than the general opinion here so far. $3.5 million is nothing to sneeze at, especially considering how top-heavy the cap structure will be for each team.

Ha ha. Well done.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I'd take McDavid + David Clarkson if that's what it took to get McDavid.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The whole OP is flawed because we don't know what the two Leaf players will be making yet. Might be less than $3.5M or might be more.

Either way I'd still take the two Edmonton players.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Give me the Oilers duo. Mcdavid is Mcdavid and Drai's better than Matthews if you ask me.

I'm a big Oilers/Draisaitl fan but I don't think this is true. Although I don't think Matthews is light years ahead of Draisaitl right now, you cannot argue against his goal scoring production in his rookie year. Drai has more NHL experience. Wait another year...both will take it up another level, but I expect Matthews will probably widen the gap between him and Draisaitl.

Stu

Nov 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC
At this point I'm just happy that the Leafs finally have some elite young talent to build around following the years of dismal management under Burke, Nonis et al. I'm sure Oilers fans are pretty happy that their years of disappointment are also finally behind them and they have an incredibly bright future ahead of them. It's a wonderful time to a fan of either team right now.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
The real question is ....

McDavid + Drai + pool party

Vs

Math (lol) + Nylander + Marner

I still take Edmonton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad