Rumor: McDavid Camp Seeking 14m Per?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
The deal should be 12.125M per over 8 years (97m)

Anything else, whether MORE or LESS, would be totally uncivilized. Peter Chiarelli is a dingus.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Crosby honestly was probably fortunate to win that early Cup in 2009.

Yes, he had 17% of the cap, but Malkin was 3.8m, Staal at 2.2m, Gonchar at 5m, and Letang at 0.835m. They also had one year of experience making the Finals already, we have only made the 2nd round.

If they don't win that year then Crosby is probably waiting until his 11th season to touch the Stanley Cup.

But yeah Connor and Leon, just ignore that part.

Not to mention Malkin was at his peak that year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not to mention Malkin was at his peak that year.

Yep. Leon and Connor are sadly, sadly mistaken if they think this will be easy or they are entitled to anything.

If Pittsburgh doesn't win that year, Crosby is waiting a loooooooooooooong time to win a Cup. Over a decade for both of them.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
The Penguins won in 2009 because they had Malkin on an ELC. They won the last two years because Crosby, and to a lesser extent Malkin, are on very cap friendly deals they signed to help the team.

Chicago won because Toews, Kane, and Keith all had long terms deals for reasonable money. They didn't get paid big until they had won 3 cups.

The Oilers will never have that same window to put together a mini dynasty. All chance of them becoming the next Penguins or Blackhawks dies with the McDavid and Draisaitl contracts (assuming the rumors are true). It may still be possible to win a cup at some point, but it will take an absolute perfect storm of great depth players on low paying deals and young players breaking out while still on ELCs. I hope I'm wrong, but I bet the Oilers will not win a cup over the course of these contracts.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Penguins won in 2009 because they had Malkin on an ELC. They won the last two years because Crosby, and to a lesser extent Malkin, are on very cap friendly deals they signed to help the team.

Chicago won because Toews, Kane, and Keith all had long terms deals for reasonable money. They didn't get paid big until they had won 3 cups.

The Oilers will never have that same window to put together a mini dynasty. All chance of them becoming the next Penguins or Blackhawks dies with the McDavid and Draisaitl contracts (assuming the rumors are true). It may still be possible to win a cup at some point, but it will take an absolute perfect storm of great depth players on low paying deals and young players breaking out while still on ELCs. I hope I'm wrong, but I bet the Oilers will not win a cup over the course of these contracts.

Yep Connor and Leon can have their money, but they can't have their window of a mini-Cup run early in their careers.

It's either one or the other (sacrifice). Doesn't work both ways.

Blackhawks and Kings won multiple Cups but on a salary structure that had multiple good players in the range of 5-6 million dollars and a roof for 7 mill or so for anybody.

Penguins only won once with Malkin, Letang, and Staal on cheap ELC deals, otherwise Crosby doesn't win a Cup until his 11th year. Think long and hard about that Connor, you could be waiting that long very easily.

You see a Evgeni Malkin for 3.8m on that Oilers roster? How about a Jordan Staal caliber player to 2.2m? No? Then stop with "yeah but Crosby ..." crap. Yeah but Crosby would be waiting until year 11 if he didn't cash in with a cheap roster, you do not have that luxury Connor.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Gotta say great job vocal minority for making 40 pages of an echo chamber of how McDavid doesn't care about winning.

Not some random schlub but the best player on the planet.

This is why Oilers fans can't have good things. A good chunk don't deserve it.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
So from what I gather in this thread:

1. Draisaitl is greedy
2. Draisaitl hasn't proven anything
3. Draisaitl might not be better than RNH
4. Draisaitl is a product of McDavid
5. Draisaitl is not worth 4 1st round picks (even if they are #30)

I hope you guys are willing to eat crow over the next 2-3 years when he proves you all wrong. I know I want to physically dominant center on my side when I got to war in the playoffs. You guys enjoy your Gaudreau's/RNH's/MacKinnon's of the world.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
The deal should be 12.125M per over 8 years (97m)

Anything else, whether MORE or LESS, would be totally uncivilized. Peter Chiarelli is a dingus.

Its not Chia's fault Connor has him in this deal if we say no them boom offer-sheet. Nothing is a guarantee but I guess if this gets him to stay loyal for most of his career then fine cup 10 years from now I just wanted one cup anyway:laugh:

Anyway think I am done posting honestly I think talking about hockey especially on here for this offseason just makes me feel worse and destroys the point of sports being entertainment. Probably a suggestion to most people lets just wait until the official is in a this point.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Gotta say great job vocal minority for making 40 pages of an echo chamber of how McDavid doesn't care about winning.

Not some random schlub but the best player on the planet.

This is why Oilers fans can't have good things. A good chunk don't deserve it.

It really is amazing isn't it? This fan base sure has some special people in it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

1. Draisaitl is greedy

I hope you guys are willing to eat crow over the next 2-3 years when he proves you all wrong. I know I want to physically dominant center on my side when I got to war in the playoffs. You guys enjoy your Gaudreau's/RNH's/MacKinnon's of the world.

It's not those two I'm worried about. I'm worried about the rest of the roster, two players alone doesn't win you a Cup.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Yep Connor and Leon can have their money, but they can't have their window of a mini-Cup run early in their careers.

Blackhawks and Kings won multiple Cups but on a salary structure that had multiple good players in the range of 5-6 million dollars and a roof for 7 mill or so for anybody.

Penguins only won once with Malkin, Letang, and Staal on cheap ELC deals, otherwise Crosby doesn't win a Cup until his 11th year. Think long and hard about that Connor, you could be waiting that long very easily.

You see a Evgeni Malkin for 3.8m on that Oilers roster? How about a Jordan Staal caliber player to 2.2m? No? Then stop with "yeah but Crosby ..." crap. Yeah but Crosby would be waiting until year 11 if he didn't cash in with a cheap roster, you do not have that luxury Connor.

You have a narrow-minded view on this. The Penguins didn't win the cup in that time frame but they were legitimate contenders. They easily could have won during that period and they easily could have lost this year. If Fleury doesn't make the luckiest save in history, maybe the Caps win the cup this year.

Unlike other sports, luck plays too big of a role in hockey. A lesser team can beat a superior team in any given series.

All you can do is build the strongest foundation possible and hope you go on a run.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
It's not those two I'm worried about. I'm worried about the rest of the roster, two players alone doesn't win you a Cup.

Yeah we will still have the money we saved on Klef's contract and if we off Nuge and hope a Seattle expansion goes through to open up more cap room(based on ticket sales) theoretically we may be able to keep the team we have now which again I will remind you almost went to the WCF.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004

Not directing it at you. Just a summarizing what I have read in this thread from multiple posters.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You have a narrow-minded view on this. The Penguins didn't win the cup in that time frame but they were legitimate contenders. They easily could have won during that period and they easily could have lost this year. If Fleury doesn't make the luckiest save in history, maybe the Caps win the cup this year.

Unlike other sports, luck plays too big of a role in hockey. A lesser team can beat a superior team in any given series.

All you can do is build the strongest foundation possible and hope you go on a run.

The Penguins won 4 total playoff rounds in 7 years with Crosby + Malkin off their ELCs, only managing to advance past round 2 once in that time frame.

Just good for thought.

If McDavid's entire thought process is "yeah but Crosby got X amount of the cap and he did just fine", it's fair to point out holes in that logic. Unfortunately I think Chia is too much a garbage negotiator to really push this.

Without that Cup in 2009, Crosby may well have had to wait until year 11 of his career to touch the Cup. That could be you too very easily Connor. Very easily. It's very likely you're not getting that early Cup. You don't have Evgeni Malkin on your team and you sure as hell don't have him at 3.8 million cap hit.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary

Basically, I mean the Pens did go to the ECF in that period and they also had a horrible coach as well there are a lot more factors than just cap room that prevented them from competing such as Fleury performing poorly and having Murray to bail him out.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
The Penguins won 4 total playoff rounds in 7 years with Crosby + Malkin off their ELCs.

Just good for thought.

If McDavid's entire thought process is "yeah but Crosby got X amount of the cap and he did just fine", it's fair to point out holes in that logic. Unfortunately I think Chia is too much a garbage negotiator to really push this.

Without that Cup in 2009, Crosby may well have had to wait until year 11 of his career to touch the Cup. That could be you too very easily Connor. Very easily. It's very likely you're not getting that early Cup. You don't have Evgeni Malkin on your team and you sure as hell don't have him at 3.8 million cap hit.

But he may not have.. its hockey there could have been the smallest amount of changes maybe if the Pens get a Murray like goaltender earlier and don't have Rask stand on his head the Pens win in 2013 and once again for all those saying sacrifice your asking him to get paid less by % and take more term in a higher stress market.

I mean again technically he still is giving us a better deal than Crosby because of term if you ignore the cap not increasing.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Its not Chia's fault Connor has him in this deal if we say no them boom offer-sheet. Nothing is a guarantee but I guess if this gets him to stay loyal for most of his career then fine cup 10 years from now I just wanted one cup anyway:laugh:

Anyway think I am done posting honestly I think talking about hockey especially on here for this offseason just makes me feel worse and destroys the point of sports being entertainment. Probably a suggestion to most people lets just wait until the official is in a this point.

he cant be offersheeted for another year and even then it cant be more than 15Mil per yr so only 1.75M more than this outlandish demand.

The ball really isnt in McDavid's court. Chia needs to prove his worth as a GM instead of bending over every time.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
The Penguins won 4 total playoff rounds in 7 years with Crosby + Malkin off their ELCs, only managing to advance past round 2 once in that time frame.

Just good for thought.

Gonna discount you know, the injuries the Penguins have faced in those years, including you know, whne Crosby had a concussion.

But hey, gotta slant those arguments!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
he cant be offersheeted for another year and even then it cant be more than 15Mil per yr so only 1.75M more than this outlandish demand.

The ball really isnt in McDavid's court. Chia needs to prove his worth as a GM instead of bending over every time.

"Kris Russell's agent was really mean to me. I just didn't want to upset him"

- Peter Chiarelli :sarcasm:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

You keep stating this like the past is always the present.

Pittsburg had 50.7% of its salary locked in last year in 5 players. Fluery, Crosby, Kessel, Malkin, Letang. They won the cup.

We arent in that bad of shape if McDavid and Drai take up 29%, because our goalie and 2 top dmen are locked in cheaper.

This isnt all doom and gloom like many are stating. Its just reality.

Macblender

May 5, 2014

1. Draisaitl is greedy

I do not agree with points 1-3 and point 5 in the terms that they are true not that they have been said or not. But could I not make a logical argument that Draisaitl would also have to prove you right on point and show he is not a product of McDavid?

Just look at Sk13's post where his P/60 drops significantly away from Hall and McDavid. His nearest comparable on a points basis is Tarasenko/Gaudreau and both of them drove their own lines without one of the top two players in the world aiding their cause.

All I ask is for a bridge deal or something under 8M a year long term. I do not like the long term option particularly until he proves without a doubt he can drive his own line and I sincerely hope he does. But at this point the only evidence we have of this is in the Anaheim series and he shot 27.3% which is unlikely to happen.

I saw pay the man as long as it is reasonable otherwise bridge him.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Gonna discount you know, the injuries the Penguins have faced in those years, including you know, whne Crosby had a concussion.

But hey, gotta slant those arguments!

As opposed "here's $24 million dollars, don't worry guys it's gonna be a fun cake walk to Stanley Cups"

Maybe they should look at that Penguins situation a lot more closely. You want to wait 11 years for a Cup? Because that's a distinct possibility too Connor. Crosby was very, very fortunate to get that early Cup and it only happened because of ELC deals.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad