Rumor: McDavid Camp Seeking 14m Per?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
I mean honestly I think this thread should be closed until we actually know the number... my problem is that you guys are dealing that we won't win guaranteed because of the contract and your not actually suggesting actual solutions relating to McDavid. I agree if Drai goes for 9 we can afford to trade him but as for connor how are we going to spend/develop the talent under 13 mil to make up 100 points in his absence.

atowalters

May 29, 2010
Calgary, Alberta
So from what I gather in this thread:

1. Draisaitl is greedy
2. Draisaitl hasn't proven anything
3. Draisaitl might not be better than RNH
4. Draisaitl is a product of McDavid
5. Draisaitl is not worth 4 1st round picks (even if they are #30)

I hope you guys are willing to eat crow over the next 2-3 years when he proves you all wrong. I know I want to physically dominant center on my side when I got to war in the playoffs. You guys enjoy your Gaudreau's/RNH's/MacKinnon's of the world.

This. Saying all that about Draisaitl won't make him take less. If you have some of the best players in the NHL, they get paid like it. It just so happens that McDavid is the best in the world. And Leon is a top #1 center on a team with Connor.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
You keep stating this like the past is always the present.

Pittsburg had 50.7% of its salary locked in last year in 5 players. Fluery, Crosby, Kessel, Malkin, Letang. They won the cup.

We arent in that bad of shape if McDavid and Drai take up 29%, because our goalie and 2 top dmen are locked in cheaper.

This isnt all doom and gloom like many are stating. Its just reality.

Agreed on the top 2 D locked in but Talbot only has 2 years left and is playing like a top 5 goalie in the league if that keeps up I would hardly say he is locked in cheaper.... I would say he will be paid 6M a season starting two years from now.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You keep stating this like the past is always the present.

Pittsburg had 50.7% of its salary locked in last year in 5 players. Fluery, Crosby, Kessel, Malkin, Letang. They won the cup.

We arent in that bad of shape if McDavid and Drai take up 29%, because our goalie and 2 top dmen are locked in cheaper.

This isnt all doom and gloom like many are stating. Its just reality.

Where is Phil Kessel and Letang in our equation?

Because we saw what the Penguins did pre-Kessel.

They made it past round 2 once in 7 years with Crosby + Malkin + Staal + Fleury at full price contracts. Needed a THIRD superstar in Kessel to win again and the only way that happened is because the cap had grown so much over 7 years that they could afford to do that.

We are not the Penguins and even for them, if you look at their actual entire Crosby era you can see how precarious it was.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Its not Chia's fault Connor has him in this deal if we say no them boom offer-sheet. Nothing is a guarantee but I guess if this gets him to stay loyal for most of his career then fine cup 10 years from now I just wanted one cup anyway:laugh:

Anyway think I am done posting honestly I think talking about hockey especially on here for this offseason just makes me feel worse and destroys the point of sports being entertainment. Probably a suggestion to most people lets just wait until the official is in a this point.

Connor has another year under contract and is not eligible for an offer sheet? Continue negotiating? I'm sure he would play ball at 12.125 mil, at the end of the day.

Draisaitl on the other hand was a huge mistake. He is or has been offer sheeted? and now we are screwed?

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
As opposed "here's $24 million dollars, don't worry guys it's gonna be a fun cake walk to Stanley Cups"

Maybe they should look at that Penguins situation a lot more closely. You want to wait 11 years for a Cup? Because that's a distinct possibility too Connor. Crosby was very, very fortunate to get that early Cup and it only happened because of ELC deals.

Yeah if this deal means we win a cup in 11 years sure I would take it one cup is good enough for me many teams in this league dream for one cup not everyone is going to be like Chicago or the Pens. I mean if that cap doesn't go up the Pens end up in the same situation that we may end up in and again with more expansion teams leading to more total ticket profits we should see some sort of rise if not as dramatic.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
I mean honestly I think this thread should be closed until we actually know the number... my problem is that you guys are dealing that we won't win guaranteed because of the contract and your not actually suggesting actual solutions relating to McDavid. I agree if Drai goes for 9 we can afford to trade him but as for connor how are we going to spend/develop the talent under 13 mil to make up 100 points in his absence.

This exactly we have options and Connor is worth every cent he will be paid. We build around him not without him which is complete lunacy to suggest.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
So from what I gather in this thread:

1. Draisaitl is greedy
2. Draisaitl hasn't proven anything
3. Draisaitl might not be better than RNH
4. Draisaitl is a product of McDavid
5. Draisaitl is not worth 4 1st round picks (even if they are #30)

I hope you guys are willing to eat crow over the next 2-3 years when he proves you all wrong. I know I want to physically dominant center on my side when I got to war in the playoffs. You guys enjoy your Gaudreau's/RNH's/MacKinnon's of the world.

If the expected salary is 9 million dollars 1 is true.
2. has always been true and statistically proven. He has not shown he can drive offense by himself. Sorry if it hurts your feelings, but look up the numbers. 13 games in the playoffs with a PDO through the roof does not count,sorry.
3. I don't think anyone has said that. They have said Mcdavid/RNH/Insert D man from Drai trade may be better than Mcdavid/Drai/Nuge
4. Draisaitl statistically last year dropped off when not playing with Mcdavid. So this part MAY be true, we haven't seen the opposite be proven yet.
5. A team that has the picks and cap space to offer Drai 10 million plus is not going to be the Pens,Caps Blackhawks or Wild of the world. It's going to be a bottom feeder or middling back team. And at that point you'd better think long and hard about four first round picks yup.

Jesus guys give your head a shake. Draisaitl has in no way shape or form proven he is a number one centre yet, and we are comfortable paying him like one. Look what happened when Horcoff produced first line center numbers. The moronic old boys club handed him the money and it was undoubtedly one of the biggest burdens they faced for years. I remember the fact they actually traded that contract was a small miracle.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Connor has another year under contract and is not eligible for an offer sheet? Continue negotiating? I'm sure he would play ball at 12.125 mil, at the end of the day.

Draisaitl on the other hand was a huge mistake. He is or has been offer sheeted? and now we are screwed?

And if he doesn't?? The only solution is too basically blow the team up once again start from scratch and bank on Dahlin being the second coming of Lidstrom and restructure ourselves in a Preds like way which will be harder as any sense of marketability for this franchise will be thrown out the window as soon as Connor leaves.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Where is Phil Kessel and Letang in our equation?

Because we saw what the Penguins did pre-Kessel.

They made it past round 2 once in 7 years with Crosby + Malkin + Staal + Fleury at full price contracts. Needed a THIRD superstar in Kessel to win again and the only way that happened is because the cap had grown so much over 7 years that they could afford to do that.

We are not the Penguins and even for them, if you look at their actual entire Crosby era you can see how precarious it was.

We have Larson and Klefbom eating up just shy of Letang, so 2 for price of one. If we need a third superstar it's bye bye Nuge

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
If the expected salary is 9 million dollars A is true.
B has always been true and statistically proven. He has not shown he can drive offense by himself. Sorry if it hurts your feelings.
3. I don't think anyone has said that. They have said Mcdavid/RNH/Insert D man from Drai trade may be better than Mcdavid/Drai/Nuge
4. Draisaitl statistically last year dropped off when not playing with Mcdavid. So this part MAY be true, we haven't seen the opposite be proven yet.
5. A team that has the picks and cap space to offer Drai 10 million plus is not going to be the Pens,Caps Blackhawks or Wild of the world. It's going to be a bottom feeder or middling back team. And at that point you'd better think long and hard about four first round picks yup.

I don't think it hurts anyone's feelings (its a sports forum...) and I don't think anyone disagrees that what he is asking is insane 7.5 is fair and I would agree Chia backing down on that would be a bad idea. If Drai wants that see if STL is open and then do a sign and trade for Parayko I think most people are divided on Connor as some think if we give him 13 we doom our franchise and that playing hardball with him or blowing up and rebuilding again is a more valid alternative.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We have Larson and Klefbom eating up just shy of Letang, so 2 for price of one. If we need a third superstar it's bye bye Nuge

It's gonna be bye bye to Nuge, Lucic, Sekera, and Russell over the next few years. Cannot have those types of players earning that kind of salary, need to find cheaper replacements if you want to have a cap structure like a Pittsburgh.

Talbot will need a pay raise to the 6-7m range too in a couple of years.

Also are going to need to hit pay dirt with cheap young players like Guentzal, so time for our scouting department to deliver. No pressure.

Beyond that, Pittsburgh has two McDavid caliber players, we only have one. That's just a minor problem though. No big deal, right?

Last edited:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If the expected salary is 9 million dollars A is true.
B has always been true and statistically proven. He has not shown he can drive offense by himself. Sorry if it hurts your feelings.

Jesus guys give your head a shake. Draisaitl has in no way shape or form proven he is a number one centre yet, and we are comfortable paying him like one. Look what happened when Horcoff produced first line center numbers. The moronic old boys club handed him the money and it was undoubtedly one of the biggest burdens they faced salary wise.

A sick Drai outplayed McDavid in the playoffs. People are forgetting about Drai just to justify paying McDavid ~13M.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ding ding ding.

What helps the Oilers relative to the Blackhawks is we have a star goaltender and our top pair for a collective 12.5M, where as they have the same for 19M. The way the Oilers contract situation is layered, they clear money for each of the next 3 years and that will help them retain some players.

But make no mistake about it, the Oilers will never be a deep or balanced team because of these contracts.

Actually, I disagree with that. What's preventing the Oilers from being a deep, balanced team into the future are the RNH, Lucic and Russell contracts. I didn't include Sekera because he lives up to his contract for the most part.
All players who underperform relative to their contracts and are on the books for the next 4 years. At least there is a market for RNH so his contract is moveable but the void he leaves will have to be filled.

The reality is McDavid was going to get a giant 2nd contract especially on max term. Anybody who thought this was coming in under $12M was fooling themselves. The Drai contract is the real issue but with his 77 point season and strong playoff performance, his next contract wasn't going to come in less than Tarasenko who is his closest comparable (the price for success), a contract that was signed 2 years ago when the cap was slightly lower so 7.5-8 was to be expected. It's the 9-10M numbers being thrown out that brings it to ridiculous territory.

Anyway, my overall point is that these two contracts were inevitably going to take up a big chunk of cap so I don't think these are the contracts that will prevent the Oilers from icing a deeper team. It's the long term contracts to mediocre players that are going to hurt the Oilers going forward especially the older players, Sekera included. I too was hoping that the McDavid and Drai numbers would fall into a reasonable range but that was never realistic, it was more wishful thinking than anything else.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
This. Saying all that about Draisaitl won't make him take less. If you have some of the best players in the NHL, they get paid like it. It just so happens that McDavid is the best in the world. And Leon is a top #1 center on a team with Connor.

I mean this is where I disagree Leon hasn't proven that by himself and even then Tank is way more comparable if he legit wants 9 you open up the phones on trades we can make RNH our second center and we would have legit top pairing if we could pry Parayko from STL I would like to keep Drai especially after the Pens proved you don't need a #1 dman to win a cup but sill this would be the better option instead of signing the 9mil.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
A sick Drai outplayed McDavid in the playoffs. People are forgetting about Drai just to justify paying McDavid ~13M.

Like I have said probably 30 times by now. You are basing this off a 13 game sample where his PDO was 115 and he shot 27 percent.

Other than that, there is statistical proof that Leon has depended on offensive driving linemates like Hall and Mcdavid.

I'm not saying he can't do it himself. But why are we paying him like he can before we know?

Macblender

May 5, 2014

He shot 27.3% over 13 games do you honestly expect that to continue over a season? He was beastly but I think it is about as unsustainable as it comes. This is the main reason I do not know how to weight his playoffs. Letestu outplayed McDavid in the playoffs if we are talking points...

In reality McDavid still produced or directly was involved in the most scoring chances for and created time and space for everyone on the ice so I would argue he in all likelihood had the biggest impact in the playoffs even if I would have like to see him put up a few more points.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
Yep, suddenly Leon is an average to below average player, who hasn't proven anything and is really no better than RNH.

The re-write of history has begun. :shakehead

No one thinks that I just think he is comparable to tank who is one of the best wingers in the game. That's still a lot of praise for Drai.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Yep, suddenly Leon is an average to below average player, who hasn't proven anything and is really no better than RNH.

The re-write of history has begun. :shakehead

Sorry, but saying that we would be content with Leon making 7 to 7.5 and not 9+ isn't exactly stating he is a "below average" player. But create whatever narrative you want.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
If the expected salary is 9 million dollars 1 is true.
2. has always been true and statistically proven. He has not shown he can drive offense by himself. Sorry if it hurts your feelings, but look up the numbers.

Jesus guys give your head a shake. Draisaitl has in no way shape or form proven he is a number one centre yet, and we are comfortable paying him like one. Look what happened when Horcoff produced first line center numbers. The moronic old boys club handed him the money and it was undoubtedly one of the biggest burdens they faced for years. I remember the fact they actually traded that contract was a small miracle.

1. I hope you are taking less money for the good of your company
2. How is this true. Him and Hall were dominant last year before he hit a wall. Conditioning was an issue but his skills were evident.
3. I'm pretty sure you implied that (I think it was you).
4. Why weren't players like Hall/Eberle able to be elevated by McDavid? Maybe Draisaitl is contributing something to that pair.
5. You could give me 4 picks around 10 and I doubt you find anything as good as Draisaitl. You are more likely to end up with a collection of players in the MPS/Nurse tier than you are a star.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Like I have said probably 30 times by now. You are basing this off a 13 game sample where his PDO was 115 and he shot 27 percent.

Other than that, there is statistical proof that Leon has depended on offensive driving linemates like Hall and Mcdavid.

I'm not saying he can't do it himself. But why are we paying him like he can before we know?

He shot 27.3% over 13 games do you honestly expect that to continue over a season? He was beastly but I think it is about as unsustainable as it comes. This is the main reason I do not know how to weight his playoffs. Letestu outplayed McDavid in the playoffs if we are talking points...

In reality McDavid still produced or directly was involved in the most scoring chances for and created time and space for everyone on the ice so I would argue he in all likelihood had the biggest impact in the playoffs even if I would have like to see him put up a few more points.

So Drai is getting criticized for showing up in the playoffs and carried his own line while being sick? 13 games is a lot of games in the playoffs. Some players don't even sniff one let alone dominate.

Letestu out point McDavid. Drai straight up dominated the playoffs. There's a difference

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Leon is getting 8.5 if the term 8 years. At least. You guys are just going to have to live with that. No way he takes that much less than Connor and only a bit more than a bum like RNH.

It's gonna be about 22 million for the both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->