Rumor: McDavid Camp Seeking 14m Per?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What has Draisaitl done to command 7.5M x 8 ? He could very well be the whipping boy next year. ~6.75M is what he should be getting.

Gaudreau coming off a 78 point season last year secured a 6.75x6 year deal.

If the Oilers want an extra two UFA years on Draisaitl coming off a 77 point season ... hate to say it but 7.5x8 sounds about right.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

If the Oilers want an extra two years on Draisaitl coming off a 77 point season ... hate to say it but 7.5x8 sounds about right.

Is he the same 77 point player when not playing with McDavid? Maybe next year he gets 65 - 70.

Draisaitl should not get over 7 mil and I would hope McDavid signs for 10 mil.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Is he the same 77 point player when not playing with McDavid? Maybe next year he gets 65 - 70.

Draisaitl should not get over 7 mil and I would hope McDavid signs for 10 mil.

I hope so too, I just don't think it's gonna happen.

We are going to have to learn to expect improvement from within ... that means things like expecting Nurse/Benning to take another step forward in development, not just running out for a solution via trade. Gonna need for Puljujarvi to develop now for sure also.

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
I agree with the above. I doubt Drai gets more than 7mil per. Gaudreau had more success over more games and seasons but Drai was playing deadly last year and I think outplayed Gaudreau. I think they'll be comparable contracts, maybe Drai makes slightly more.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
20% of the cap? No thanks
I would trade him next year if this is true

This ! If he going to handcuff the team what is the point of having him . You can not win with one guy in the NHL . Run with Draisaitl at 1 C and trade McDavid for a kings ransom . No I don't want to trade him but the team is above any player . Hell you trade him for a #1D making 8 million and another 1C making 8 and you are better off . Agent probably fill his head full of crap . Like he is responsible for Edmonton turn around all be himself . Larsson , Draisaitl and Russell has as much to do with the turn around but no agent is going to tell their player that

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
McDavid just won the Art Ross, Ted Lindsay, and Hart....all at 20.

that's just the tip of the ice berg for this kid.....he can demand whatever he wants.

edit : also turned a 70 point 29th place team into a 103 point 8th place team in one year.

Yes because Larsson , Draisaitl , Russell and Cam Talbot was no help what so ever

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
If we're gonna pay McDavid and Drai over $20M combined we might as well start rebuilding. At least we had one year of success :dunno:

For as good as they are, you can't pay that kind of money to players before you've won a Cup. Well you can, but good luck getting a Cup until the cap rises and who knows when/if that'll happen.

McDavid and Drai should look at Pittsburgh who just won back-to-back Cups with Malkin and Crosby being signed for $18.2M in total. At most Connor should take $11.5M and Leon $7.5M and even that is pricey.

Connor should be happy with $11M and Leon with $7M IMO. Maybe don't go 8 years and instead go 11x7 and 7x7. That's still a lot of money for two players coming out of their ELC's.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Teams should use leverage and reason with every negotiation. McDavid at 14m is a non-starter. 11m would make him the highest paid player in the league. The other guys over 10m are multiple cup winners (Kopitar, Kane and Toews).

I think both camps will be settling on 5 year deals. 6ish million for Leon and 9-10ish million for McDavid. Go win a cup and then sign the monster deals...or do what Crosby and Malkin did and take a haircut to stay on a team that can win. I should add that I don't begrudge players maximizing their earnings.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
It may seem crazy but I'd rather Trade him then give him 14m.

I would not trade him. I would keep him and Draisalt and build around them and see where that core takes us in the next 4 years. You cannot win SC if you trade him. Most probably we will see trades like Eberle for Strome, Hall for Larsson every year. Next guy on the move will be RNH...

When guys like Larsson, Pulju, Nurse and Benning starts commanding big money the window will be closed. Now it is wide open next few years .

Most probably 14M will not be paid. It will be 10.5 M for 5 years or 12.5M for 8 years. Draisalt will not get more than 7.5M.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Guys, this is common practice. Players/Agents always start out with a high number, Organizations usually start out low. They meet in the middle. I'm guessing Chia is around that 10 million mark and they'll meet around 11.5 million if McDavid doesn't want to completely handicap the team. If they can get Drai for around 7 million, that's fine as well.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I would absolutely trade away McDavid if he wants 14 mill.

Florida gets McDavid we get Barkov and Ekblad. Yes please.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014

If the Oilers want an extra two UFA years on Draisaitl coming off a 77 point season ... hate to say it but 7.5x8 sounds about right.

Gaudreau had no leverage except to sit out. Couldn't sign an offer sheet.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
If we're gonna pay McDavid and Drai over $20M combined we might as well start rebuilding. At least we had one year of success :dunno:

For as good as they are, you can't pay that kind of money to players before you've won a Cup. Well you can, but good luck getting a Cup until the cap rises and who knows when/if that'll happen.

McDavid and Drai should look at Pittsburgh who just won back-to-back Cups with Malkin and Crosby being signed for $18.2M in total. At most Connor should take $11.5M and Leon $7.5M and even that is pricey.

Connor should be happy with $11M and Leon with $7M IMO. Maybe don't go 8 years and instead go 11x7 and 7x7. That's still a lot of money for two players coming out of their ELC's.

without question, agree on all fronts

i actually think that drai shouldn't even get that, i think the high-water mark for him HAS TO BE 6.5 million.... drai really hasn't proven anything to be honest... yes, he played great with mcdavid, which isn't necessarily easy to do... but his with/without numbers re:mcdavid aren't very good ... 7 is WAY too high

mcdavid, if he really cares about winning a cup, will take something around 10 million/year.... what his contract ends up being will say a LOT about where his priorities are... is he worth the reported 14 million ask? yeah, probably... but we will never win a single cup if he signs such a deal... we'll have more than enough trouble winning one with him at 10 million/year.... the number will tell us what mcdavid wants more: a cup, or money

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Guys, this is common practice. Players/Agents always start out with a high number, Organizations usually start out low. They meet in the middle. I'm guessing Chia is around that 10 million mark and they'll meet around 11.5 million if McDavid doesn't want to completely handicap the team. If they can get Drai for around 7 million, that's fine as well.

the FINAL number should be around 10 million, not the starting number

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Teams should use leverage and reason with every negotiation. McDavid at 14m is a non-starter. 11m would make him the highest paid player in the league. The other guys over 10m are multiple cup winners (Kopitar, Kane and Toews).

I think both camps will be settling on 5 year deals. 6ish million for Leon and 9-10ish million for McDavid. Go win a cup and then sign the monster deals...or do what Crosby and Malkin did and take a haircut to stay on a team that can win. I should add that I don't begrudge players maximizing their earnings.

exactly.... the other top players in the league should be the bar that is used... and it SHOULD be pointed out, as you did, that most of these players have won multiple cups before they signed that big deal.... why, exactly, should mcdavid make 12 million, therefore making 15% more than toews/kane? or 20% more than kopitar? or 25% more than malkin/ovi/benn? he should be paid on-par with these players, maybe slightly more as he is slightly better than them... but the lack of cups should also be a factor

10.5 is the absolute highest we should be going

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
exactly.... the other top players in the league should be the bar that is used... and it SHOULD be pointed out, as you did, that most of these players have won multiple cups before they signed that big deal.... why, exactly, should mcdavid make 12 million, therefore making 15% more than toews/kane? or 20% more than kopitar? or 25% more than malkin/ovi/benn? he should be paid on-par with these players, maybe slightly more as he is slightly better than them... but the lack of cups should also be a factor

10.5 is the absolute highest we should be going

Percentage of the cap at the time of signing the contract is the comparable, not total money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad