Rumor: McDavid Camp Seeking 14m Per?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Well a 10 million dollar contract in US dollars is around 14 million CAD. So this is actually going to be a reality.

However, I assume he's speaking of US dollars. In that case, I really like to believe that Connor realizes that kind of contract will cripple his team. There are very few scenarios I can imagine where a team can win a cup with a contract like that, especially given his surroundings. I would echo the sentiments already posted and say this tweet is hot air.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Well a 10 million dollar contract in US dollars is around 14 million CAD. So this is actually going to be a reality.

However, I assume he's speaking of US dollars. In that case, I really like to believe that Connor realizes that kind of contract will cripple his team. There are very few scenarios I can imagine where a team can win a cup with a contract like that, especially given his surroundings. I would echo the sentiments already posted and say this tweet is hot air.

Lol sure would hope so.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
If McDavid demands 14 million and he gets it the rest of the teams are screwed because now you ppg players all get 10 mill plus 60 point players 8 mill plus ,and all the elite dman start at 10 plus 50 point ones 8 plus . :laugh:

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
McDavid just won the Art Ross, Ted Lindsay, and Hart....all at 20.

that's just the tip of the ice berg for this kid.....he can demand whatever he wants.

edit : also turned a 70 point 29th place team into a 103 point 8th place team in one year.

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Most teams get into salary cap hell after they win the cup, we seem to have to order reversed.
Honestly, at $14M I start taking offers.
Lets hope it's just a rumour.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
McDavid just won the Art Ross, Ted Lindsay, and Hart....all at 20.

that's just the tip of the ice berg for this kid.....he can demand whatever he wants.

And yet he hasn't won the big prize yet. The one that actually means something.

I don't think for a second McDavid is seriously going to demand max and not back down from it but if he is that's seriously concerning.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
My hunch he gets 10.5 -10.75 just so he is highest paid in league 8 years 86 million hope he survives on that by age 29 :sarcasm:

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
It may seem crazy but I'd rather Trade him then give him 14m.

that is crazy. If he wants 14 per, it needs to be for 8 years. He's the best player in the world. Ya, I was hoping and am still hoping it'd be closer to 11.5 to 12.5 per, but 14 is still worth it. He's that good he's that valuable, he makes the team that much more money. This is 4 years of his UFA years, the cap will probably be 85 to 90 million by the time his deal is over, and Connor will be 29 and all of his best years would of been as an Oiler. Ya, it's a lot, but he's still worth it.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I doubt he'll ask for $14 million. While it is a business, and most players do want to maximize their value, losing sucks. Especially when you're locked in to losing for the length of your contract, and any team that you get traded to will also lose due to your contract.

Luongo said it best when he said, "my contract sucks."

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
It's just a little taste," McDavid said of his big night. "This feels good and it's something that I want to try and do every year. But I've been saying I'd trade in all three of these awards just to win one award, and we all know that one we're talking about … it's all about team accolades. That's obviously the main focus heading into next year."

Reading this I would be shocked if McDavid signed for 14 million. He seems like a team first guy and I think he is well aware of the ramifications of having such a high cap hit

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Crosby took 17% of the Pens cap (8.7 against a 50.3 mill cap) after his first ELC, so McDavid would be about 12 per to be equivalent. 12.125x8 = $97 million, IMO Connor will take that deal.

We are going to have to learn to scout, draft, and develop better from now on and build around McDavid and Draisaitl like the Penguins did. Plain and simple. No more screwing around and blowing draft picks, no more excuses for poor development.

We are going to have to wait until the cap hits $85 mill or so before we can think about adding more big money contracts.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Crosby took 17% of the Pens cap (8.7 against a 50.3 mill cap) after his first ELC, so McDavid would be about 12 per to be equivalent. 12.125x8 = $97 million, IMO Connor will take that deal.

We are going to have to learn to scout, draft, and develop better from now on and build around McDavid and Draisaitl like the Penguins did. Plain and simple. No more screwing around and blowing draft picks, no more excuses for poor development.

We are going to have to wait until the cap hits $85 mill or so before we can think about adding more big money contracts.

so in general...we're F@#4ed

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Crosby also signed again at 8.7 million when cap was over 60 million after lockout and the cap was good for 70 million that year he then again signed for 12 years at 8.7 Million because he wanted to win .

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
For all we know McDavid's agent could ask for that much. But in the end I don't think it'll be that much.

Yup. Took the words right out of my mouth. There is going to be some serious coin thrown out soon and the day that happens Chiarelli and Co will have to be very smart about things moving forward.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Crosby also signed again at 8.7 million when cap was over 60 million after lockout and the cap was good for 70 million that year he then again signed for 12 years at 8.7 Million because he wanted to win .

Unfortunately for us that was when the NHL was allowing cap circumvention through front loaded deals.

It's time for Nugent Hopkins now to ****ing produce next year and the years following if he wants to be here now too.

We cannot have $6 million dollar deadweights on our cap any more. Time for guys to get their **** together.

Everyone on the scouting department better get their butts in gear too. No more blowing through draft picks like they free Halloween candy. We need picks to pan out.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Unfortunately for us that was when the NHL was allowing cap circumvention through front loaded deals.

It's time for Nugent Hopkins now to ****ing produce next year and the years following if he wants to be here now too.

We cannot have $6 million dollar deadweights on our cap any more. Time for guys to get their **** together.
You can still do front loaded contracts :nod: signing bonuses Look at Kane's contract for EG

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers 2018-19 potentially

RNH (6) McDavid (12.1) Puljujarvi (0.985)
Lucic (6) Draisaitl (7.75) Strome (3)
Caggiula (2.5) Letestu (2) Kassian (2)
blank (1) Khaira (0.625) Slepyshev (1.8)
Forward (800k)

Klefbom (4.1) Larsson (4.1)
Russell (4) Sekera (5.5)
Nurse (3) Benning (2.5)
D-Man (800k)

Talbot (4)
Back Up (1)

= 75.4 million + buy out penalty from Pouliot. Lets say the cap increases to 78 million. So we are pretty much at the cap roof, probably have to keep some cap open for Puljujarvi's potential bonuses.

So yeah probably under the cap. That said very little room to do anything. Improvement is going to have to come from within.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
i expected they'd come in and ask for something in the 12 million per year range, but what's another 2 million?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Oilers 2018-19 potentially

RNH (6) McDavid (12.1) Puljujarvi (0.985)
Lucic (6) Draisaitl (7.75) Strome (3)
Caggiula (2.5) Letestu (2) Kassian (2)
blank (1) Khaira (0.625) Slepyshev (1.8)
Forward (800k)

Klefbom (4.1) Larsson (4.1)
Russell (4) Sekera (5.5)
Nurse (3) Benning (2.5)
D-Man (800k)

Talbot (4)
Back Up (1)

= 75.4 million + buy out penalty from Pouliot. Lets say the cap increases to 78 million. So we are pretty much at the cap roof, probably have to keep some cap open for Puljujarvi's potential bonuses.

So yeah probably under the cap. That said very little room to do anything. Improvement is going to have to come from within.

Easily move out RNH and keep Maroon at LW saving us some more $$

Speed220DChalavan

Mar 29, 2014
Stauffer, who is the most connected, said this week if both McDavid and Draisaitl sign 8 year deals, it will cost ~20M between the two of them

Could see something like 12.5M and 7.5M split among Connor and Drai respectively.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Stauffer, who is the most connected, said this week if both McDavid and Draisaitl sign 8 year deals, it will cost ~20M between the two of them

Could see something like 12.5M and 7.5M split among Connor and Drai respectively.

What has Draisaitl done to command 7.5M x 8 ? He could very well be the whipping boy next year. ~6.75M is what he should be getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad