McDavid and Draisaitl are best duo in league? (Gretzky compares them to Gretzky-Messier)

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The 3 of them also have less points combined (31) than McDrai (32) do without even factoring in that Kassian has another 6 points on that line. Cap hit isn’t the be all end all
Points isn't the be all end all as well though. Bergeron/Marchand is an example of two players being joined at the hip for 10 years and having their skills balance perfectly off each other, doesn't matter if it's at even strength, PP or PK. Marchand gets to take more risks because of Bergeron's stability, and Bergeron gets to simplify his game more offensively because of how good Marchand is at driving play at the other end. Goes together like PB &... Marchand.

Pastrnak is the cherry on top.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
The 3 of them also have less points combined (31) than McDrai (32) do without even factoring in that Kassian has another 6 points on that line. Cap hit isn’t the be all end all

Ummmmmm.....yes it does. It actually means everything.

If Edmonton had more of it they could actually afford to pay a decent winger to come play with Drai.

They could actually split the pair up and have two scoring lines instead of 80% + of the teams points coming from the first line.

What an odd statement........

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Draisaitl has never in his career had a winger the caliber of Guentzel/Hornqvist/Nylander/Marner when away from McDavid, though. Nor will be anytime soon. You’re asking for a literal impossibility - go be a 1C with sub replacement level wingers the likes of which *maybe* only
Crosby in his early seasons has ever had to elevate.

Malkin played with subpar wingers pretty much his whole career too. With the exception of of Kessel the last 3 years and Neal c 2012-2014. Heck, he won the Conn-Smythe in 2009 with Fedotenko and Talbot as his 2 wingers.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Malkin played with subpar wingers pretty much his whole career too. With the exception of of Kessel the last 3 years and Neal c 2012-2014. Heck, he won the Conn-Smythe in 2009 with Fedotenko and Talbot as his 2 wingers.

Fedotenko and Talbot are better than Oilers current wingers

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The problem is Malkin does not need to play on Sid's line to get credit. I am worried Leon's accomplishments will be greatly overshadowed by who he plays with.

I wish the Oilers had enough depth to spread those 2 out, they would actually be the best team in the league easily if they could do it successfully.

Considering plenty teams, plenty elite teams stack the top line I see no problem with McDavid and Drai on the same line. There’s no problem ensuring your 1st line is consistent and potent offensive threat, League seems to think the same look at:
Kucherov-Stamkos
Bergeron-Marchand-Pasta
Tavares-Marner
Mackinnon-Rantanen

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Ummmmmm.....yes it does. It actually means everything.

If Edmonton had more of it they could actually afford to pay a decent winger to come play with Drai.

They could actually split the pair up and have two scoring lines instead of 80% + of the teams points coming from the first line.

What an odd statement........

and neither of them are overpaid, and both are better than any of the other 3...

the cap problems aren’t because of McDrai, and saying you should take worse players because they’re cheaper is one of the most ridiculous things I’ve read

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Did Wayne just compare Mcdavid to Brent Gretzky!? He's at it again...

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Bias aside, it's pretty obvious that they are. 1 half of the duo is widely considered the best player in hockey and the other one scored 50 goals and 105 pts last season. They just need playoff success to cement their status.

Re-acquire Taylor Hall = profit

RNH - McDavid - Neal
Hall - Drai - Chiasson/Kassian

The whole point of putting Kassian one McDavid's wing is that Kassian can skate.
If anything it's

Hall-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Drai-Chaisson.

Then again, Edmonton can skate a better winger than Chaisson right now. He doesn't even need to be planned into the top 6.
For all we know Edmonton let's Yama play in the top 6 next year given how he's currently tearing the AHL a new hole.

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Draisaitl with any top 6 winger is at least a ppg player. Draisaitl with a top line winger is a 90 point player. Draisaitl with McDavid is a 100+ point player.

My opinion.
I don't disagree, but will add that playing with an Elite Superstar is not as easy as it sounds. Not everyone can do, Drai does it very well.

I think Edmonton has the best duo by a pretty big margin.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
The whole point of putting Kassian one McDavid's wing is that Kassian can skate.
If anything it's

Hall-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Drai-Chaisson.

Then again, Edmonton can skate a better winger than Chaisson right now. He doesn't even need to be planned into the top 6.
For all we know Edmonton let's Yama play in the top 6 next year given how he's currently tearing the AHL a new hole.

He has 5 points in 4 games. I wouldn't go that far.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
When did these two play on the same line last time? I'm honestly asking. Kane is insanely good by himself, a true 1st overall pick.

They played together on the same line often when they first came into the NHL. Their first cup of 3 mainly had Toews and Kane on the same line and they were eventually re-united on their 2nd and 3rd cups.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
They played together on the same line often when they first came into the NHL. Their first cup of 3 mainly had Toews and Kane on the same line and they were eventually re-united on their 2nd and 3rd cups.
My question did have "last time" in it. Kane is doing what he does without Toews and has been for a long time.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Oilers are sooo freaking lucky they won that McDavid lottery. Where would they be without this guy? They are now first in the league with an abysmal lineup.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Also, Draisaitl in an incredible hockey player.

Neal going to keep this up or what?
Not the torrid pace he was on, but he should be able to pot one about every 3 games at least - he hit at least one post as well tonight.
He's always in the right place at the right time.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Gretzky is annoying humble at this point. Sometimes you wonder if he’s being sarcastic. Not so much this specific time but in the past. Even this is pretty far fetch though

Reactions: McNurse

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad