McCown: Rogers/Bell "Unholy Alliance Will Not Last"

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm predicting, with no sources or inside info, that sometime in the future Bell will end up as sole owners of the Leafs and Rogers will gladly be bought out for the right to move a second franchise into Leaf territory.

This has, IMO, been the end game all along.

edit: just read masarume's post. Except I don't think it will take ten years. More like 3-5. It's only logical. When this happens Bell/Rogers instantly double their content while at the same time transition from "unholy alliance" to "mutually respected competitors". And Gary Bettman ends up with two absolutely bomb-proof owners in his largest media market.

Possible but can't see either of them wanting to give up MLSE and playing second fiddle.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
IMO the partnership will last until a second SW Ont. team is granted via relocation or expansion. Then 1 party will take a buyout, and assume new team. IMO that is the only reason they partnered in 1st place. Bell/Rogers may even have it in contract/writing that they get 1st priority for new team ownership. I mean it all seems to fishy, why they partnered when they are in 100% direct competiion in every. Also why not fire Burke and remove him. I believe he will be new GM, of a new SW Ont team,coming soon. Think about it, 2 owners with direct broadcasting rights for their own team. It't own personal conspiracy theory.

could come fast too, if predictions about the southern "false markets" getting destroyed post-lockout are true, and its also the only scenario where you can imagine leafs ownership approving a team moving here

rogers sells to bell with non-crippling compensation for bell to approve the move, since bell has the incentive to see it in their interests too they don't ask for outrageous territorial fee, rogers ploughs that money into their new franchise, then presto Battle of GTA obliterates the intensity of any other rivalry we have ever had

when is that new markham arena scheduled to be completed?

Leaf_Crazy

Jan 22, 2003
Toronto
could come fast too, if predictions about the southern "false markets" getting destroyed post-lockout are true, and its also the only scenario where you can imagine leafs ownership approving a team moving here

rogers sells to bell with non-crippling compensation for bell to approve the move, since bell has the incentive to see it in their interests too they don't ask for outrageous territorial fee, rogers ploughs that money into their new franchise, then presto Battle of GTA obliterates the intensity of any other rivalry we have ever had

when is that new markham arena scheduled to be completed?

I read that it was on hold. Council voted against it.

SteveV*

Bob never stated that Luongo was THE reason he got fired. He stated it was the straw that broke the camels back.

Bob is one of the most well known and respected men in Toronto sports media. He has known Burke for far longer then Burke was GM of the Leafs. He has a personal relationship (outside of "work") with many in sports. As per my previous post, Bob likely knows a lot more then the "trade breaker" types precisely because he doesnt blab out what hes told. That buys him an enormous amount of trust.
Really eh?? He actually qualified to, saying it was almost "one hundred percent" of the reason. Sorry.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Second team or not, I can't see Rogers/Bell co-existing for very long. Maybe it will come down to which corporation wants to overpay the most for Larry Tanenbaum's share.

That would make for some interesting Board Room politics, provided Tannenbaum would want to sell.

Tannenbaum always struck me as liking the image of being the Leaf Owner, being the envy of the Toronto rich.

Lucafen4

Aug 26, 2011
Bell can't take ownership in the leafs until they sell off their ownership in the Canadiens first..

Did everyone forget about that?

I believe that would qualify as a conflict of interest

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
watch the video 'McCowan: Blunder of Biblical Proportions'

when asked 'how much RL played in this decision' he said 'maybe a 100 percent'

Can't get the video to play on the Sportsnet site, but I'll take your word for it. Fair enough, I stand corrected.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
Can't get the video to play on the Sportsnet site, but I'll take your word for it. Fair enough, I stand corrected.

my point is i don't even think McCowan keeps track of the kind of crap he says

it's absurd to think this was 'almost 100 percent of the reason' why he got canned. today's press conference can tell you everything. obviously burke's baboon-like personality doesn't mesh with a corporate image. he was turning our leafs into a clown show.

oh, and the losing!

it's absurd to think it was all luongo even though THE TRADE WINDOW DIDN'T EVEN OPEN. you'd think if that was the main thing, they'd give the poor guy a chance to make the move before canning him lol

McCowan is trying to stir **** up after 4 years of criticizing Burke himself

Apr 1, 2010
my point is i don't even think McCowan keeps track of the kind of crap he says

it's absurd to think this was 'almost 100 percent of the reason' why he got canned. today's press conference can tell you everything. obviously burke's baboon-like personality doesn't mesh with a corporate image. he was turning our leafs into a clown show.

oh, and the losing!

it's absurd to think it was all luongo even though THE TRADE WINDOW DIDN'T EVEN OPEN. you'd think if that was the main thing, they'd give the poor guy a chance to make the move before canning him lol

McCowan is trying to stir **** up after 4 years of criticizing Burke himself

The trade talks were done last summer/fall beforethe lockout.

I liked BUrkes Baboon type image.

When he told Simmons off it made my day. :handclap:

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I do forsee arguments over who gets to broadcast which games (Montreal/Ottawa games vs Florida/Carolina/TB etc. games), who gets what advertising etc. I can however forsee a situation where they put all the games on LeafsTV, which would be a disaster. Thankfully CBC will get every playoff game the Leafs play (assuming they get there before MLSE is sold again)

Lebanese Leaf

Sep 19, 2009
Toronto, ON
I can't believe McCown has a thread 5 pages long in almost unanimous agreement.

The man is one of the most obnoxious, loudmouth, ignorant voices in sports. I will bite the bullet and listen to him when it comes to the Jays and baseball, because he knows his baseball very well. But the man has no clue on hockey, and is always speaking out of his ass. Steven Brunt has to constantly correct him. He rants and makes outlandish statements without any backing, and people take hims seriously just because he's famous.

I still remember his rant on Luke Schenn one show, when talking about why Schenn hadn't developed into a star yet, said something along the lines of... "So what if he's a defenseman, why should they take longer to develop? Are defensemen stupider than forwards? Why do we say defensemen take longer to develop?" Any half wit on HFboards will tell you that defensemen in the NHL take longer to develop, and McCown couldn't recognize that simple little fact. And that's just one specific example in the long list of bad **** he says. He's nothing but a **** disturber.

Apr 1, 2010
I can't believe McCown has a thread 5 pages long in almost unanimous agreement.

The man is one of the most obnoxious, loudmouth, ignorant voices in sports. I will bite the bullet and listen to him when it comes to the Jays and baseball, because he knows his baseball very well. But the man has no clue on hockey, and is always speaking out of his ass. Steven Brunt has to constantly correct him. He rants and makes outlandish statements without any backing, and people take hims seriously just because he's famous.

I still remember his rant on Luke Schenn one show, when talking about why Schenn hadn't developed into a star yet, said something along the lines of... "So what if he's a defenseman, why should they take longer to develop? Are defensemen stupider than forwards? Why do we say defensemen take longer to develop?" Any half wit on HFboards will tell you that defensemen in the NHL take longer to develop, and McCown couldn't recognize that simple little fact. And that's just one specific example in the long list of bad **** he says. He's nothing but a **** disturber.

I guess it is a testiment as to how ****** this looks on MLSE.

Goatman

Sep 20, 2009
London
Bell can't take ownership in the leafs until they sell off their ownership in the Canadiens first..

Did everyone forget about that?

I believe that would qualify as a conflict of interest

Ummm, Bell and Rogers closed on the Leafs in August..... so they already have ownership in the Leafs.

SteveV*

A lot of guys on here saying how tight McCown and Burke were. McCown just said on the Fan they didn't talk for years, then Burke came on his show and they've seen each other four or five times over the years. In other words, they aren't good friends as some believe on here.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
That would make for some interesting Board Room politics, provided Tannenbaum would want to sell.

Tannenbaum always struck me as liking the image of being the Leaf Owner, being the envy of the Toronto rich.

This is very much my opinion of Tannenbaum being a partial owner.

He enjoys the status of claiming to own a sizable share of the financial and cultural giant that is the Toronto Maple Leafs, but he has no ambition to put his neck out there as the one responsible for all the wins (or losses). Right now he has the best of both worlds, and OTP / Rogers+Bell take all the heat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad