McCown: Rogers/Bell "Unholy Alliance Will Not Last"

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He was fired before the trade freeze even opened up. He was fired on the same day the GMs ratified the new CBA. This was happening regardless of a potential trade that Burke couldn't even do.

Sorry I don't understand the point you're trying to make.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
Not sure how the Burke firing proves this at all. That means the BOG voted on it and unanimously decided to fire Burke. Which means they worked together to get rid of him.. What am I missing here??

The BOG agreed that nothing will be done unless it was unanimous and it was reported that it took the President of Bell months to convince the Rogers camp and LT to agree. This means that whenever any of these members has an agenda countless amounts of energy will be invested in convincing to push that agenda or any other idea good or bad. The bureaucracy will be awful and the organization will suffer tremendously.

It's just a joke imho :shakehead

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
Quote from PTS on Wednesday:
"There are multiple reasons why Brian Burke is no longer the general manager of the TML, but not the least of them is the fact that BB thought the asking price for Roberto Luongo was too high (Gardiner & Kadri).....I can tell you factually the BB was privately counseled that if he didn't do the deal, if he didn't get Luongo, if he didn't make the playoffs this year, he was unlikey to survive."

Given that later in the same show he indicated he had dinner with Burke 2 weeks ago, I would suggest he knows what he is talking about.

If this is true then Burke should not have been "floored" that he was fired.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
dumbest post I seen all day.. How much does Burke make and what pull does he have now? McCowan can very well be next...

After watching his criticism of Bell/Rogers I immediately thought that he was encroaching on some very thin ice. Wouldn't be surprised if he had a talking to.

driver3000

Dec 17, 2011
Niagara
I enjoy McCown from time to time, but honestly... his massive hatred for all things Bell really clouds some of his opinions.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
"blue beats red"

- John Shannon

Seriously, The politics of this team/organization are just ridiculous and it make you really wonder sometimes. :shakehead

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
McCown wont be fired over this. Despite being business partners in the Leafs, you can bet Rogers is loving Bob going off the rails at Bell. Remember, Bell doesnt employ Bob. Rogers has never censored Bob when it comes to the Jays, they wont do it now.

And I guarantee if they did fire him AM 640 gives him a job that day. Theyd be back into sports radio instantly.

Last edited:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
If you're a Leafs fan and if you think McCown has any insider info (my guess is he does with Rogers) this should send a chill down your spine

McCown says the partnership is doomed to failure and will go off the rails very quickly and the Burke firing was just the first example of this ...

from PTS podcast Jan 10 @ 5 pm, 18:40-21:55

suggesting ownership instability is back:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/podcasts/

I wouldn't put too much weight in something coming from Burke's BBF who's pretty clueless at the best of times IMO

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
McCown wont be fired over this. Despite being business partners in the Leafs, you can bet Rogers is loving Bob going off the rails at Bell. Remember, Bell doesnt employ Bob. Rogers has never censored Bob when it comes to the Jays, they wont do it now.

And I guarantee if they did fire him AM 640 gives him a job that day. Theyd be back into sports radio instantly.

Bob cat "is as safe as the gold in fort Knox."

To steal a line from Burkie.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Anyone who doubts Bobcat's information is clueless. The man has a personal friendship with Burkie outside the industry, and he has considerable insider knowledge regarding the inner workings of MLSE. In time, he will be proven to be 100% accurate in his prediction that this dysfunctional corporation is doomed to fail.

Our only hope as fans is that Nonis and Carlyle can succeed in building a successful team on the ice despite the boardroom theatrics and unnecessary distractions.

If Burke's ridiculously timed dismissal and the subsequent farce of a press conference are a harbinger of things to come, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Anyone who doubts Bobcat's information is clueless. The man has a personal friendship with Burkie outside the industry, and he has considerable insider knowledge regarding the inner workings of MLSE. In time, he will be proven to be 100% accurate in his prediction that this dysfunctional corporation is doomed to fail.

Our only hope as fans is that Nonis and Carlyle can succeed in building a successful team on the ice despite the boardroom theatrics and unnecessary distractions.

If Burke's ridiculously timed dismissal and the subsequent farce of a press conference are a harbinger of things to come, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

I agree. People think Bob doesnt know anything, while I think hes likely one of the more informed guys on the inner workings for all of Toronto's sports franchises. The reason is simple: He doesnt blab, so they tell him. Or at least he doesnt comment until the shoe drops (like Burke).

I too connected the dots on where he got his inside knowlesge of what VAN was asking for Lu when he said he ahd dinner with Burke in the last two weeks. Straight from the horses mouth....

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Totally agree with the last two posts.
McCown is very well connected, moreso with senior management than with players and agents like many of the other broadcasters.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
i doubt Bob has any real sources. he just spews **** out of his mouth, especially when it comes to hockey. his opinions on hockey are laughable
the hockey guys on the station pretty much laugh at his opinion

he's the only one reporting that the asking price for Lu is Kadri+Gardiner. Never heard anyone else report this.

Actually McCown said people behind the scene in these organizations were not happy that the firing happened. Would he make that up?

SteveV*

If Bob is so well connected why has every single other "insider" completely contradicted his contention that the firing was over Luongo?? Dreger has a good source, the new GM and he and McKenzie said it's total BS. Ditto for every single other source on the Fan, which is odd, given that's the same station. He's just wrong, unless everyone else is and he alone has the scoop. Given he's NEVER had one scoop on any Leafs trade or move in the past, there is little evidence to suggest he's right now. I have laughed listening to the Fan the past three days saying the Luongo angle is bunk, when it was floated by the Fan's Bobcat. Now that's dysfunctional!

Call of the loonie

Oct 7, 2007
London, Ontario
I'm predicting, with no sources or inside info, that sometime in the future Bell will end up as sole owners of the Leafs and Rogers will gladly be bought out for the right to move a second franchise into Leaf territory.

This has, IMO, been the end game all along.

edit: just read masarume's post. Except I don't think it will take ten years. More like 3-5. It's only logical. When this happens Bell/Rogers instantly double their content while at the same time transition from "unholy alliance" to "mutually respected competitors". And Gary Bettman ends up with two absolutely bomb-proof owners in his largest media market.

This might be just me, but 10 years down the road, I can see a 2nd team in the GTA.
Bell will own one with Rogers owning another.

Last edited:

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
I'm predicting, with no sources or inside info, that sometime in the future Bell will end up as sole owners of the Leafs and Rogers will gladly be bought out for the right to move a second franchise into Leaf territory.

edit: just read masarume's post. Except I don't think it will take ten years. More like 3-5. It's only logical. When this happens Bell/Rogers instantly double their content while at the same time transition from "unholy alliance" to "mutually respected competitors". And Gary Bettman ends up with two absolutely bomb-proof owners in his largest media market.

wow interesting stuff, i've always hoped we don't get another team but really , why? i would NEVER switch from the leafs, but it would be an incredible rivalry and probably force the leafs to improve

Leaf_Crazy

Jan 22, 2003
Toronto
dumbest post I seen all day.. How much does Burke make and what pull does he have now? McCowan can very well be next...

Also to the idiot that made the comment about George Cope.. not only should you seek help for your choice of words and wishes, but as someone who is in a management position within Bell and have had the priv to meet George a few times, I can tell you he is a very smart dude, well spoken and loves his sports.. Funny how someone of his stature can be referred to as a lowlife..

Larry and Tom pull the big strings for MLSE.. Bell & Rogers reep more the benefits of exclusive content they can utilize within their services and maximized exposure.. They will partner just fine and make a load of $$ in the process..

He gets paid 500,000... in TORONTO RADIO... You realize that is a ton of money right? He brings in MUCH MORE MONEY, with ratings.... it would take A LOT to fire him.

Leaf_Crazy

Jan 22, 2003
Toronto

I've been thinking this as well. Seems almost too perfect a scenario.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
If Bob is so well connected why has every single other "insider" completely contradicted his contention that the firing was over Luongo?? Dreger has a good source, the new GM and he and McKenzie said it's total BS. Ditto for every single other source on the Fan, which is odd, given that's the same station. He's just wrong, unless everyone else is and he alone has the scoop. Given he's NEVER had one scoop on any Leafs trade or move in the past, there is little evidence to suggest he's right now. I have laughed listening to the Fan the past three days saying the Luongo angle is bunk, when it was floated by the Fan's Bobcat. Now that's dysfunctional!

Bob never stated that Luongo was THE reason he got fired. He stated it was the straw that broke the camels back.

Bob is one of the most well known and respected men in Toronto sports media. He has known Burke for far longer then Burke was GM of the Leafs. He has a personal relationship (outside of "work") with many in sports. As per my previous post, Bob likely knows a lot more then the "trade breaker" types precisely because he doesnt blab out what hes told. That buys him an enormous amount of trust.

questhockey

Mar 17, 2012
Ontario
IMO the partnership will last until a second SW Ont. team is granted via relocation or expansion. Then 1 party will take a buyout, and assume new team. IMO that is the only reason they partnered in 1st place. Bell/Rogers may even have it in contract/writing that they get 1st priority for new team ownership. I mean it all seems to fishy, why they partnered when they are in 100% direct competiion in every. Also why not fire Burke and remove him. I believe he will be new GM, of a new SW Ont team,coming soon. Think about it, 2 owners with direct broadcasting rights for their own team. It't own personal conspiracy theory.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
IMO the partnership will last until a second SW Ont. team is granted via relocation or expansion. Then 1 party will take a buyout, and assume new team. IMO that is the only reason they partnered in 1st place. Bell/Rogers may even have it in contract/writing that they get 1st priority for new team ownership. I mean it all seems to fishy, why they partnered when they are in 100% direct competiion in every. Also why not fire Burke and remove him. I believe he will be new GM, of a new SW Ont team,coming soon. Think about it, 2 owners with direct broadcasting rights for their own team. It't own personal conspiracy theory.

Someone on Rogers or TSN did say Burke is going to continue to live in Toronto......

Tin Foil time!

Leaf_Crazy

Jan 22, 2003
Toronto
Someone on Rogers or TSN did say Burke is going to continue to live in Toronto......

Tin Foil time!

I think it was Cox.

I'm a diehard leaf fan. If a team ended up in Markham with Burke as GM, I might find myself at a cross roads though.

Never thought I'd say that.

I'm just angry with this move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad