McCown: Rogers/Bell "Unholy Alliance Will Not Last"

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
If you're a Leafs fan and if you think McCown has any insider info (my guess is he does with Rogers) this should send a chill down your spine

McCown says the partnership is doomed to failure and will go off the rails very quickly and the Burke firing was just the first example of this ...

from PTS podcast Jan 10 @ 5 pm, 18:40-21:55

suggesting ownership instability is back:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/podcasts/

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Never a dull moment

Loved his interview yesterday with Anselmi. Gonna listen to this one too.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It's always a 3-ring circus with the Leafs. Bell and Rogers being in the same building having to work on anything together has to be a wee bit awkward.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Not sure how the Burke firing proves this at all. That means the BOG voted on it and unanimously decided to fire Burke. Which means they worked together to get rid of him.. What am I missing here??

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
its been like this in Toronto since the 80s.

my memory is we had a break from toxic ownership situation from post-ballard death (91) until quinn was demoted to coach only (03) and then another break during the burke years where he was left alone to run the team, maybe things are bad now, not totally convinced as rogers/bell multimedia interests overlap and it behooves them to make it work, but i must admit i took it for granted it would work, now i am wondering

Penalty Kill Icing*

Hope so. I am not a fan of competitors shaking hands. Someone always pays a price for it.

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
Not sure how the Burke firing proves this at all. That means the BOG voted on it and unanimously decided to fire Burke. Which means they worked together to get rid of him.. What am I missing here??

yea mannnnn

they got rid of a loudmouth baboon who couldn't deliver on the ice

pretty easy decision if you ask me

since it's opposing companies, i think it means they will keep each other honest.
people need to chill. obviously burke wasn't a fit with this ownership. look at the jays- rogers lets AA do his thing and that's all there is to it

TrueBlue86

Oct 17, 2010
Toronto, ON
If you're a Leafs fan and if you think McCown has any insider info (my guess is he does with Rogers) this should send a chill down your spine

i doubt Bob has any real sources. he just spews **** out of his mouth, especially when it comes to hockey. his opinions on hockey are laughable
the hockey guys on the station pretty much laugh at his opinion

he's the only one reporting that the asking price for Lu is Kadri+Gardiner. Never heard anyone else report this.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I could be wrong, but I think McCown was intimating that either Bell or Rogers will eventually be bought out by the other.

Bell FY2011 revenue: $19.5 billion
Rogers FY2011 revenue: $12.4 billion

My money would be on Bell.

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
i doubt Bob has any real sources. he just spews **** out of his mouth, especially when it comes to hockey. his opinions on hockey are laughable
the hockey guys on the station pretty much laugh at his opinion

he's the only one reporting that the asking price for Lu is Kadri+Gardiner. Never heard anyone else report this.

he isnt called mcclown for nothing.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Of course, two corporations, arguably some of the largest in Canada, going in equal into something and having to work together - how on earth is that going to work?

I never liked the "partnership" and what I see, is that the two corporations, in their lack of interest in working together, will bring down MLSE to it's lowest levels ever.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
I never liked the "partnership" and what I see, is that the two corporations, in their lack of interest in working together, will bring down MLSE to it's lowest levels ever.
Well part of the deal is that Bell and Rogers are supposedly obligated to vote the same way on every major issue (so that Tannenbaum can never be the deciding vote), but sooner or later you would think that some issue will come up where they have diametrically opposed views.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
sorry, I meant to have said: "what i see, happening down the road"

Not now, but two companies that will still try to go against eachother for the almighty dollar will eventually start in fighting about certain things, be it down the road if the Leafs should be on TSN or Sportsnet more, or split in profits, or even how successful or non-successful the Bluejays are for Rogers (and in some ways will affect their profit.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I could be wrong, but I think McCown was intimating that either Bell or Rogers will eventually be bought out by the other.

Huh. I was always under the impression that Rogers made more by a landslide. Isn't their net worth more than Bell?

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON

If the CRTC blocked the Astral/Bell merger - I practically guarantee a Bell/Rogers merger will NEVER happen.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

McCown says the partnership is doomed to failure and will go off the rails very quickly and the Burke firing was just the first example of this ...

from PTS podcast Jan 10 @ 5 pm, 18:40-21:55

suggesting ownership instability is back:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/podcasts/

How would we be able to tell?

Oh, after someone figures out how to put this thing back on the tracks we'll wait for the derail.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad