McBackup the Very Good Backup

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I don’t think it’s an either-or situation though. The goalie who makes more saves should (in theory at least) be able to get more wins than the goalie.

Yes McBackup’s record is fine with the Leafs, but he’s also barely ever played which I think distorts any solid analysis of his performance.

We play him in the 2nd game of B2Bs and who the opposition is, doesn't matter. We are generally tired and he is pretty consistent in his performances while getting shelled. He was good for us as a BUP last year and has been great this year as well.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
exactly. like if just as an example McBackup played 15 more games and all of those games were 9-8 affairs - are we really going to quibble that McBackup let in 8 or is it more important that he won 15 games? because for me i'd be team yay we won (in regards to the Backup). if this was regarding Freddy it's a different story.

Why is it different for Freddie but not Mcbackup? if you truly think a win is a win, be it 1-0 or 9-8 then why does it matter who is in net? why do you think "well we won" in terms of Mcbackup but if it's Freddie it's "Freddie didn't deliver tonight but the team saved him."

See for me it wouldn't be different lets say this team went a 15 game win streak and the score of every game was 12-10 and Freddie won them all my mind set would be the same for him as it would be for Mcbackup that being

"Freddie needs to pull his shit together this can not keep scoring 12 goals a night Freddie needs to be better."

I know I would hear "we have been winning what's it matter what the score is?"

thing is not all wins are created equal, it's ideal but you can win a scattered game when your goalie shits the bed, but winning that game does not mean that your goalie did not shit the bed it just means that it didn't matter on that night but he still needs to be better in the future.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
It's easy to forget that this guy is has been around in this league for a VERY long time, so he's figured out a way to battle, stay relevant, and put up results.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad