Prospect Info: Maybe too soon (but probably not) 2021 Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
So I looked up the last name Suomi, and discovered an old nhl player by the name of Al Suomi. He was the son of a Finnish immigrant from Minnesota who travelled to Chicago after a scout told him he was good at the stick puck.

He played a couple seasons for a team called Chicago Baby Ruth, which apparently existed as a marketing gimmick for the candy bar, and would play before Blackhawks games to help drive up attendance.

After that, he played for another minor league team in Detroit for a couple years before heading back to Chicago to play in the bigs. The teams managed decided to say “f*** Canada” and iced a roster consisting entirely of American players. This only lasted a few games, but it actually f***ing happened. You would think that O6 owners would have more respect for the integrity and history of the game :sarcasm:

And just to prove I’m not making all this up, here’s a guy in a Baby Ruth sweater. No idea if it’s Al, though.

upload_2021-7-16_10-49-18.jpeg

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Sounds like more are on the way, if we are to believe J.D. Burke.

Reactions: DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Hope the Canes do their due diligence...maybe trading some of those picks wouldn't be so bad.

A bunch of teenagers were mostly trapped inside for a year and many didn't get to play their favorite sport...stupid **** was bound to happen amongst them. Is that a character issue for them all or just "teens do stupid things sometimes" and make sure they learn from it?

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
A bunch of teenagers were mostly trapped inside for a year and many didn't get to play their favorite sport...stupid **** was bound to happen amongst them. Is that a character issue for them all or just "teens do stupid things sometimes" and make sure they learn from it?

I think it's more of a reflection of the league as a whole, or at least certain clubs that are extremely wary of controversy after getting burned by various scandals. Probably teams like Arizona (Mitch Miller), Vancouver (Virtanen), and Chicago (harassment scandal) are extra cautious for that reason.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Well, it was a very dumbass thing to do and pretty awful as well. Is it part of a pattern of behavior (probably unknown at this point), a character flaw, or just a one-off thing he'll learn from? Everyone makes mistakes. In most cases, I'm in favor of second chances. But you do have to question the kid's decision-making for being willing to hurt someone like this and when stuff like this can get out so easily these days.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think it's more of a reflection of the league as a whole, or at least certain clubs that are extremely wary of controversy after getting burned by various scandals. Probably teams like Arizona (Mitch Miller), Vancouver (Virtanen), and Chicago (harassment scandal) are extra cautious for that reason.

Also, with scouts not being able to travel as much for junior games it makes getting the inside scoop on these kids harder, so scandals may have more impact than they did before.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Even as someone that at one point was one of said people this draft is going to suffer from so much under scouting by people that follow these guys on HF that I would struggle to name guys beyond the second round. Unless someone is paid to do it for a living i have a hard time eying anyone getting enough views on some prospects this year.

As long as they don't go full Philippe Paradis panic mode again I'm fine with whoever we take minus any major character red flags. I'm taking Mitchell Miller level shit or even some of the stuff with Downie and TDA from when they were in junior.
How About Paradis Phillppe? And his other cousin Pardiso Phillippe.. Or Me? :) or Tony Conboy.. (Name made up)

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Owen Power pulls away from crowded NHL Draft field - TSN.ca

Love this 20-30 range for Carolina. Bourgault, Cuelemans, Pinelli, Chibrikov, L'Heureux, Stankoven, and Raty. Still an off-chance that the Canes could snag their own future Vasilevski with Sebastian Cossa. Ville Koivunen down at #79 would be a nice 2nd rounder.
Easily take Raty and tell him he doesn’t have any pressure to come to the league in the next two years. Just work on your game and we’ll be ready for you.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I haven't followed this kid closely.
A) was he thought to be a 1st/2nd round pick before all this?
B) Was this a case of he would definitely still get drafted highly this draft even with the issues?
C) Or is this a case where nobody would touch him except a late round flyer (if at all)?

His tweet seems like he's taking ownership and responsibility which is good. I just can't gauge how much he is really sacrificing here.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
B) Was this a case of he would definitely still get drafted highly this draft even with the issues?
C) Or is this a case where nobody would touch him except a late round flyer (if at all)?

His tweet seems like he's taking ownership and responsibility which is good. I just can't gauge how much he is really sacrificing here.

He was ranked #35 on McKenzie's aggregate list. From what I understand most of the details of his current problems surfaced recently so it is hard to gauge.

This is definitely the right thing to do but it is probably the only thing he can do. He runs the risk of an incompetent GM picking him anyway and the whole thing blowing up like Arizona's case last year. He now has the opportunity follow up his words with actions, have a full year to mature/distance himself, and hope to get picked next year with a redemption story.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

I remember seeing his name right around where we are picking during the season in some mock drafts as recently as May.

Likely this, considering the Miller situation last year it's probably fair to say no one was going to take the kid. The Athletic or someone associated with it said something about how the victim didn't think his apology was sincere either.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
A lot of knowledgeable people are still thinking that Lysell slips into the late 20s because of some perceived character issues in regards to arrogance, not dissimilar to Gunler. If he does fall to Carolina, he's an auto-draft in my book. I personally see him as a top-5 player in this draft. Barring that from happening, however, Raty would be a fabulous choice.

Reactions: Bridgeburner96

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

He will get double the tail because chicks really dig toxic males, and he'll be drafted higher next year than he would have this year because he will be more ready player, and he will have the opportunities that go with the smaller draft number. If he was signed this year he would have slided anyway. If he doesn't film the chicks and share the pics, it's all win for him.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
A lot of knowledgeable people are still thinking that Lysell slips into the late 20s because of some perceived character issues in regards to arrogance, not dissimilar to Gunler. If he does fall to Carolina, he's an auto-draft in my book. I personally see him as a top-5 player in this draft. Barring that from happening, however, Raty would be a fabulous choice.
We'll draft our characters issues so we don't have to overpay for Laine.

Let's take Mailloux on round 5. Drafted from SHL, he'll be four years under exclusivity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad