Prospect Info: Maybe too soon (but probably not) 2021 Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Samu Tuomaala could be our pick if he is there are 27-28.

Im sure the staff has seen a ton of him as he was also on Karpat's U20 squad like Tieksola.

Simon Robertsson would be my other assumption as our pick.

Although having a Stankoven on the team would be fun for nicknames.

Last edited:

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Samu Tuomaala could be our pick if he is there are 27-28.

Im sure the staff has seen a ton of him as he was also on Karpat's U20 squad like Tieksola.

Simon Robertsson would be my other assumption as our pick.
Tuomaala, Robertsson, or Koivunen would be decent swings in the 27-32 range.
It is possible that a player falls toward the end of the first--the two who would be great pickups are
Pinelli
Rosen

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Sebastian Cossa is my pipe dream.

Stankoven, Chibrikov, Kisakov and Samoskevich fit well with what the Canes have been drafting.

Svozil and Ceulemans fit their D profile very well from my light research.

If I had to guess now I'd go Stankoven or Svozil.

Wait a minute. His name is Stankoven? Wow. I'd like that on a Jersey.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Saw a mock draft that has us taking this guy

This regime isn't scared of drafting Russians like the last two, so I could see this being a reality.

If Francis was drafting I could see him as pick. This staff wants guys that have a chance to be top 6 potential and spend time teaching them how to play the defensive game.

Svechkov probably has the highest floor of the guys in the late 20 range but he is ceiling is lower due to his shot and offensive abilities being rated lower.

With that being said, I wouldnt mind him as pick.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
My bet is that Simon Robertsson falls to us. He's in my personal top 10 and IMO could be the best player in the draft, similar to how Pastrnak was in his, but will likely drop to the late first because of his lack of playing time in the SHL. We've played Tampa incredibly closely, so I still think that we'll come back in the series.

Reactions: DaveG

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Isn't next year supposed to be really deep? Even before Covid I remember reading something suggesting this crop of prospects was kind of weak outside of Owen Power, whom I've heard nothing about this season.

Reactions: MinJaBen

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Roll some dice, flip some coins.

Trade back from every draft pick if you have to.

No one knows if anyone is good, more so than ever this year. Get QUANTITY.

We already have the quantity, though. We have 8 picks this year and three 7th rounders. I would try and make sure that Robertsson is picked, then move on from there and see who falls.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Isn't next year supposed to be really deep? Even before Covid I remember reading something suggesting this crop of prospects was kind of weak outside of Owen Power, whom I've heard nothing about this season.

It's not a weak draft, just an incredibly crap-shoot-y one.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
8 picks and 3 7th rounders means we have 5 picks in the first 6 rounds.

Why not take 14 players and let the cream rise to the top?

You have to have a willing trade partner to make such a plan happen, though. Sometimes the pick quantity just isn't there as much as you would like, so you make do by selecting really well. So far, I think Yorke/Tulsky and Co. have done just fine considering how many of their picks have already proved good enough for ELCs.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
You have to have a willing trade partner to make such a plan happen, though. Sometimes the pick quantity just isn't there as much as you would like, so you make do by selecting really well. So far, I think Yorke/Tulsky and Co. have done just fine.

So far I think they’ve done what I am describing above, and they’ll try even more in a context like this one.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
So far I think they’ve done what I am describing above, and they’ll try even more in a context like this one.

To an extent, yes. Take, for example, last year, though. They only traded down once, and that was a 5th rounder for an early 6th that draft and a 7th for this draft.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Aren't they all to some degree?

They are, but this draft in particular is even more crapshoot-y than the usual because of the shortened or outright-cancelled CHL seasons. It's perhaps enhanced by the fact that many of the best players in the first round are defensemen and are therefore more difficult to project.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
We will draft someone who every had picked to go in the 2nd round but that one guy and will be right about how he was so much better than all of the “professional scouts” was about him, when it come down to that he’s the son of a GM of a team, and is a heady player on the smaller side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad