GDT: Maybe Start Playing Before OT.. | WCQF Game 3: Calgary Flames @ Colorado Avalanche | 8 PM MST | CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
"I think we learned a little bit of a lesson (in Game 2). We're not going to be sitting back anymore, I can tell you that for sure. ... We let them take it to us right from the start. They were faster, more physical. We can't let them dictate the play. We have to take it to them." - Sam Bennett

cut.jpg

On Sunday, the Avalanche and 2017 fourth-overall pick Cale Maker put pen to paper on a three-year entry-level contract. The Calgary native is coming off an incredible sophomore season at the University of Massachusetts, winning the 2019 Hobey Baker Award and helping the Minutemen reach the NCAA Frozen Four Championship Game. Makar, 20, could make his NHL debut tonight with the status of fellow defenceman Samuel Girard still in question. Girard left Saturday's tilt early in OT after taking a hit from Sam Bennett, skating off under his own power but clearly favouring his left shoulder.

--------------------

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Bennett - Jankowski - Neal
Mangiapane - Ryan - Hathaway

Giordano - Andersson
Hanifin - Hamonic
Fantenberg - Brodie

Smith

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Kerfoot
Wilson - Soderberg - Rantanen
Nieto - Brassard - Compher
Calvert - Jost - Anrighetto

Cole - Johnson
Zadorov - Barrie
Makar - Nemeth

Grubauer

Go :flames Go!​

Last edited:

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
FYI Girard is out, Makar is in.

Really excited to see Makar. Hope he plays well but not too well

Girard a scratch or is he banged up?

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Valimaki/Kylington in for Fantenberg tonight either

DubeWheresMyCar

Sep 26, 2018

Interesting move, I get that Makar is solid and will help them, but playing him tonight means they will have to protect him in the expansion draft, doesn't it?

Makes the decision on who to protect a little tougher for them, but I guess that is a little ways down the line.

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Interesting move, I get that Makar is solid and will help them, but playing him tonight means they will have to protect him in the expansion draft, doesn't it?

Makes the decision on who to protect a little tougher for them, but I guess that is a little ways down the line.
That topic definitely does not have over 40 pages of discussion on our board :sarcasm:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

I vote you change your user name to DubeWheresMakar.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Didn't know this was confirmed. Thanks.

Wonder what kind of difference he'll make. Girard seemed overwhelmed at times with Calgary's physicality, especially in game 1. I wonder if Makar will be a bit more steady. It seems like a lot to ask though from a kid in his first game.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Didn't know this was confirmed. Thanks.

Wonder what kind of difference he'll make. Girard seemed overwhelmed at times with Calgary's physicality, especially in game 1. I wonder if Makar will be a bit more steady. It seems like a lot to ask though from a kid in his first game.
He won't take Girard's spot. Cole is moving to the 1st pairing and Johnson will be the puck mover on the pairing. Makar will be with Nemeth on the 3rd pairing.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
These guys from the Avs are fast, why on earth would you play Neal again? Don't worry about his offensive production, this isn't important right now. But he can't skate fast enough and gets murdered constantly.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
These guys from the Avs are fast, why on earth would you play Neal again? Don't worry about his offensive production, this isn't important right now. But he can't skate fast enough and gets murdered constantly.

Fun fact, James Neal has the highest 5v5 playoff CF% on the Flames at 56.67%

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
That topic definitely does not have over 40 pages of discussion on our board :sarcasm:

It's a no brainer. If you gotta lose a Barrie or Zadorov in two years and get 3+ games of Makar in the playoffs you do it.

You just protect 4 and 4

MacKinnon
Rantanen
Kerfoot
Landeskog
Makar
Zadorov
Girard
Johnson (NMC)

and if you lose Barrie so be it. Makar can do anything he can do already. Though flipping Barrie for a better forward than Kerfoot or an expansion-exempt forward might be the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dack

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Lines updated in OP.

Yes, lost in the Makar announcement is the fact that Girard is actually out for the Avs and it alters their D pairings significantly. Might be a good opportunity for the Flames to take advantage.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'd get Hanifin-Hamonic out against MacKinnon more than Gio-Andersson if you can. Both have better footspeed and more physical. You don't put the body on the guy at least a little he'll continue to dance around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad