Maximum Salary You Would Want Your Team Paying Tavares?

Tavares' average salary per season?

• Total voters

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
For those of you saying lower numbers, you simply would not get him, and you'd have to make do with lesser players.

I said $10M - which is probably not all that different from what I said when the Leafs gave him his current deal.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Lol you guys did not dodge a bullet, you lost your captain and by far your best player. The first year after he left he scored 47 goals. You guys might have won the cup with that.
I believe this is wrong... I loved JT, all Islander fans did, but his leaving is really what brought the team together. They all bought in and played as one unit. I know that sounds cliche but it's the truth. It was all JT, then team. Again not JT's fault it went that way under Snow, but that's what happened.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Lol you guys did not dodge a bullet, you lost your captain and by far your best player. The first year after he left he scored 47 goals. You guys might have won the cup with that.

The islanders have won 3 playoff series plus a qualifier round since jt left while the leafs have won zero.

I'm not even sure if the islanders won 3 playoff series' the entire time jt was in New York.

Definitely seems like it worked out for them.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
For those of you saying lower numbers, you simply would not get him, and you'd have to make do with lesser players.

I said $10M - which is probably not all that different from what I said when the Leafs gave him his current deal.
Addition by subtraction. The Islanders are much better than they were with JT, and much better than the Leafs have been

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
The islanders have won 3 playoff series plus a qualifier round since jt left while the leafs have won zero.

I'm not even sure if the islanders won 3 playoff series' the entire time jt was in New York.

Would have won even more with him

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Addition by subtraction. The Islanders are much better than they were with JT, and much better than the Leafs have been
The Islanders are better post JT because if coaching. Barry Trotz is a great coach and there’s a reason why Doug Weight isn’t coaching anywhere in the league anymore.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It’s possible that 3 years later, they were on to something. He left NYI for a better chance of winning, yet the Islanders have placed above the leafs in each regular season and playoffs since the move, right up to current standings this season.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Soooo
You've gone to the Boston board to complain about Bergeron
Washington for Ovechkin
Pittsburgh for Malkin

All players he's out pointing

so...have you?
all those guys are 4-5 years older than him, make 2-5 million less than him and have the same, if not higher, points per game this season. bad comparisons all around

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

You forgot to add "And I'm a leafs fan"

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Some folks seem to be having trouble with the concept of "the maximum you would pay". Saying "LOL then if we get to choose, I'd pay $1 dollar" in the context of the OP's question essentially means you wouldn't want Tavares on your team for anything over $1 dollar.

Reactions: Dache

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
all those guys are 4-5 years older than him, make 2-5 million less than him and have the same, if not higher, points per game this season. bad comparisons all around

People never realize the double edged sword.
Yes they do-they get hurt and play less...

and PPG isn't points.

Green

Nov 13, 2019
He is probably an 8 mil year a player in reality, the only reason he is putting up good numbers is because he is playing on a offensively gifted team in Toronto, had he been left alone to drive an offense by himself I am guessing he would be a 65 point a year guy, he was overrated on the Islanders, Islander fans hyped him up alot I am guessing because he was the only good player and he was a first Overall, and I am sure to suck up to him out of fear he would leave

Green

Nov 13, 2019
Barzal became the best player during Tavares's last year, it was clear he had a skill Tavares did not have, and as I said Tavares is not scoring 47 goals on the 18-19 Islanders, under Trotzs system I am guessing he might not get 30

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
People never realize the double edged sword.
Yes they do-they get hurt and play less...

and PPG isn't points.
its really not. durability has nothing to do with this.

tavares 27 points in 32 games.
ovechkin 25 points in 27 games.
bergeron 25 points in 28 games.
malkin 24 points in 29 games.

difference of 2-3 points max.

Bergeron and tavares have missed 0 games but bruins have had multiple games postponed, ovechkin missed 4 because of covid, malkin has missed the last 3 with back injury.

no one is too worried because they are 34-36 year old hall of famers, hovering just under a point per game while making significantly less than tavares at the tailend of their contracts on teams that will retire their numbers. he's 3 years into a 7x11 contract.

he's not too far his career averages, but the concern is understandable

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Tavares is having one of his best defensive seasons ever no?
I think his shooting percentage being a bit low combined with a career-low in minutes(sans rookie season) can explain most of the offensive difference. I still think he's a 9/10 million dollar player. Tavares was going to be overpaid a bit no matter who got him. If Tavares's offense and defense shrink up that's a different discussion then.

I really like his play this year, his strong defensive play coupled with a career-best in face-offs (58%) and averaging about a hit a game, he's playing much better than before(with the exception of scoring).

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tavares is having one of his best defensive seasons ever no?
I think his shooting percentage being a bit low combined with a career-low in minutes(sans rookie season) can explain most of the offensive difference. I still think he's a 9/10 million dollar player. Tavares was going to be overpaid a bit no matter who got him. If Tavares's offense and defense shrink up that's a different discussion then.

I really like his play this year, his strong defensive play coupled with a career-best in face-offs (58%) and averaging about a hit a game, he's playing much better than before(with the exception of scoring).

Is he? Or is he benefiting from ridiculous goaltending when he's on the ice? Goalies are sporting a .950 save percentage when he's on the ice at 5on5. That's leaps and bounds higher than at any point in his career, thus accounting for the goals against when he's on the ice.

On one hand, his "against" metrics are some of the best of his career. On the other hand, that doesn't say much considering he's still way down compared to other centers in the league. For instance, he's ranked 57th in CA/60, 62nd in FA/60, 61st in SA/60, 84th in SCA/60, and 60th in HDCA/60 among centers who've played at least 300 minutes at 5on5 this year.

So I'm not really sure I buy the whole "he's not producing like he should, but at least he's been great defensively". It's closer to "he's not producing like he should, but he's gone from playing mediocre defense to middle of the pack defense".

Reactions: Albus Dumbledore

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Is he? Or is he benefiting from ridiculous goaltending when he's on the ice? Goalies are sporting a .950 save percentage when he's on the ice at 5on5. That's leaps and bounds higher than at any point in his career, thus accounting for the goals against when he's on the ice.

On one hand, his "against" metrics are some of the best of his career. On the other hand, that doesn't say much considering he's still way down compared to other centers in the league. For instance, he's ranked 57th in CA/60, 62nd in FA/60, 61st in SA/60, 84th in SCA/60, and 60th in HDCA/60 among centers who've played at least 300 minutes at 5on5 this year.

So I'm not really sure I buy the whole "he's not producing like he should, but at least he's been great defensively". It's closer to "he's not producing like he should, but he's gone from playing mediocre defense to middle of the pack defense".
I wasn't 100% sure on the defensive metric. His goals-against are way down like you said, goalies are making a lot of saves with him on the ice(0.945% on reference, not that it makes a difference lol). His Corsi is still good and his relative Corsi is still as well. his adjusted points are near-identical from this to last year.
I think the truth could be in the middle. Snake bitten offensively while being average defensively. Still, his play all over the ice is much improved. Would love to see the heat maps. and where his line is allowing shots from.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I wasn't 100% sure on the defensive metric. His goals-against are way down like you said, goalies are making a lot of saves with him on the ice(0.945% on reference, not that it makes a difference lol). His Corsi is still good and his relative Corsi is still as well. his adjusted points are near-identical from this to last year.
I think the truth could be in the middle. Snake bitten offensively while being average defensively. Still, his play all over the ice is much improved. Would love to see the heat maps. and where his line is allowing shots from.

Hockey reference uses ES numbers for their totals, not 5on5. They seem to lump 5on5, 4on4, and 3on3 OT (as well as 6on5 goalie pulls) all in the ES category while only differentiating for SH and PP.

Also, I'm not entirely sure he's snakebitten. While I posted above that his defensive metrics are some of the best of his career, likewise his "metrics for" numbers are some of the worst of his entire career. He's simply not generating anywhere close to the type of chances for that he's had in the past.

And honestly, that matches the eye test. He's relatively solid in his own zone (which shows up in his against metrics) and he's had quite a few games where he's been invisible offensively (which shows up in his for metrics).

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Hockey reference uses ES numbers for their totals, not 5on5. They seem to lump 5on5, 4on4, and 3on3 OT (as well as 6on5 goalie pulls) all in the ES category while only differentiating for SH and PP.

Also, I'm not entirely sure he's snakebitten. While I posted above that his defensive metrics are some of the best of his career, likewise his "metrics for" numbers are some of the worst of his entire career. He's simply not generating anywhere close to the type of chances for that he's had in the past.

And honestly, that matches the eye test. He's relatively solid in his own zone (which shows up in his against metrics) and he's had quite a few games where he's been invisible offensively (which shows up in his for metrics).
I mean he is playing 1:41 less than his career average and shooting about 3% worse than his career shooting percentage. His chances could be lower probably because he's playing less?

Also checking his heat maps this year(a part of it), I think I would say he has an above-average defense. He's not allowing a lot of slots shot it seems. Last year seemed good aswell.

Only till the end of Febuary.
https://i0.wp.com/theleafsnation.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2021/02/download-2.png?resize=1536,400&ssl=1

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I wouldn't have any problem paying him 9 mil per. Wouldn't be great value but the Flames have needed a 1C for ages.

Just doesn't seem like the best fit for Toronto. Matthews, Marner, Rielly, Nylander, there's only so much puck to go around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad