Maximum Salary You Would Want Your Team Paying Tavares?

Tavares' average salary per season?

• Total voters

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If he was a UFA today, the max id be ok with is 7.5 mil. Hes regressing pretty hard so for the next 2 years hes likely an 8mil caliber player, then 2 years after around a 7 mil and 2 years after is a 6 mil. So roughly 7 - 7.5 mil average

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Voted 7-8 mill for the Habs.

But - big caveat. If we had signed him for 11M$ few years ago, I'd have no regrets. I think he was worth his contract, but you always expected the last few years to slow down a bit, so i wouldn't pay 11M$ if i was signing him today. He'd also produce more in a bigger role imo.

Reactions: Thenameless

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
$7-8 million. But even that will be a bad contract in a few years.
Having said that, at the time of the signing I can see why teams would pay a big salary to a guy who could be the missing piece to a Stanley Cup. You deal with the bad years later but a Cup is worth it.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Based on his play this year and last, the $7-8 million range. He produces enough to justify that range, but not enough to earn more. And he doesn't make up the difference by adding good defensive play.

I know people will point to other salaries in the $8-10 range that don't produce much, either, but I don't think comparing his pay to other overpaid players makes sense. For instance, just because guys like Seguin or Skinner also aren't really producing to their salary doesn't mean that justifies Tavares making $9 or $10 million.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
As a Islander fan, boy we dodged a bulle...... nuclear bomb. People will reply "you could have used him on the pp last playoffs". They forget with JT's contract we probably don't have Lee, Nelson, and Pageau . So while Tavares is the best of the bunch, we have to fill 2 other spots with just about 6 million in cap space.

Last edited:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
$7-8M, but even then, in a few years that's probably an overpayment.

This season has really lowered his stock to me. Matthews is slumping, and it's the perfect time for the $11M 'elite' centre you signed to take over and win games. Instead, he's withered away into the shadows.

Tavares never looked dominant in Toronto to me...not like how he looked in New York. He had that good first season statistically but just wasn't taking over games like he did on Long Island.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Soooo
You've gone to the Boston board to complain about Bergeron
Washington for Ovechkin
Pittsburgh for Malkin

All players he's out pointing

so...have you?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
30 years old, 5 years remaining. Probably a lower end 1st liner or a higher end 2nd liner.

Generally these are 6 mil contracts in my eyes. But I'll say 7-8 because at 7 it's not exactly bad.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
As a Islander fan, boy we dodged a bulle...... nuclear bomb. People will reply "you could have used him on the pp last playoffs". They forget with JT's contract we probably don't have Lee, Nelson, and Pageau . So while Tavares is the best of the bunch, we have to fill 2 other spots with just about 6 million in cap space.
Lol you guys did not dodge a bullet, you lost your captain and by far your best player. The first year after he left he scored 47 goals. You guys might have won the cup with that.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Since we're all just throwing out wildly unrealistic numbers, I'll take an elite UFA center for $1 please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad