Eklund Rumor: Max Pacioretty trade underway (SEE WARNINGS IN OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fortunately, if Molson is willing to spend money, we're in a unique position where we could afford to hold salary on both without it being a detriment. We're not going to be a relevant team for another 4-6 years, which is when their respective contracts conclude. And this assumes Weber doesn't retire since he's only getting paid a million for the final three years.

4-6 years? I think not. I will agree about the next 2 or 3 years though. Think about our Gallagher and under core, the 2017 and 2018 draft picks, what we get in the next 2 or 3 drafts, and what pieces we get by trading Patch, Byron, Petry, and Weber. We can turn this around quicker than you think. But the right moves need to be made in this season. We can't have a middle of the pack strategy and "hope for the best" if we make the playoffs.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Drouin is 1c as of now right?? Otherwise that would mean Danault-Plekanec as 1c-2c worst duo ever. Not enough scoring on lw to trade Max. Last 4 names you mentioned got 35 goals last year. Combined. Anybody else in that great lw pipeline i am missing?

Not enough scoring means more games lost means a better draft pick.

I can't find anything wrong with that. That's the direction the team is heading anyway.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
Patch has a few options but If I was his agent, I'd be talking about these situations...

1. Sign and Trade
2. Play out the year in Montreal
3. Get traded as a pending UFA and play on a deeper roster in your contract year.

Habs prefer option 1 but Patch/Agent prefer option 3. Habs have been patient with the return we want so it might end up option 2 which is not good for either the Habs or Patch IMO.

I think option 1 is equal to option 3 for him. Maybe I'm wrong, but he isn't getting younger, and just had a "bad" season. He probably can sign for 7M right now, but if he have another bad season, or an injury, that number will probably drop (the number of years at least). But if he's having a great season, I have a hard time seeing a team giving him + then 8 because of his age. So it's probably best for him to secure a good long term deal right now and not risking it for maybe 1M more a year?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think option 1 is equal to option 3 for him. Maybe I'm wrong, but he isn't getting younger, and just had a "bad" season. He probably can sign for 7M right now, but if he have another bad season, or an injury, that number will probably drop (the number of years at least). But if he's having a great season, I have a hard time seeing a team giving him + then 8 because of his age. So it's probably best for him to secure a good long term deal right now and not risking it for maybe 1M more a year?

Option 1 and 3 are equal... only if he is able to get a UFA type contract. Not a forced contract where the team the Habs agree on a deal with tries to force him into a team friendly deal. Pretty sure if he is low balled on a deal in a sign and trade, he takes his chances that the Habs move him at some point as a pending UFA

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
1. Sign and Trade
2. Play out the year in Montreal
3. Get traded as a pending UFA and play on a deeper roster in your contract year.

I bet you Patch/Agent prefer option 3 but the Habs might force him into option 2 if he we don't get the return we want. Pretty sure the habs are willing to settle on a 1st and another piece at the deadline. However, is this the best option for Patch in his contract year? Playing on a team with lack of skill and terrible depth at center? Is he able to produce and earn his next contract? Two bad seasons in a row is bad news for a 31 year old UFA.

Habs prefer option 1 but Patch/Agent prefer option 3. Habs have been patient with the return we want so it might end up option 2 which is not good for either the Habs or Patch IMO.

It's not all upside to wait. A player is taking a risk by not signing an extension as soon as it is offered and instead waits a year. He could get a career ending injury in that time.

Reactions: strongcomp05

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's not all upside to wait. A player is taking a risk by not signing an extension as soon as it is offered and instead waits a year. He could get a career ending injury in that time.

Agreed. There is risks there for him as well. The 3 options I presented where just ones I would sit down with Patch to discuss and find out how he feels about each one. I'm pretty sure Patch and his new agent have a game plan as well. Sign and trade is on the table but first the Habs need to negotiate a trade. Then that team needs to not be too cheap on a contract offer.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
His value to a contender at the deadline isn't much less than now. Id keep him and ship him off in Feb if the Habs are out of the race.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
:habs

Max Pacioretty
Nikita Scherbak
Jordie Benn

:flames

TJ Brodie
Troy Brouwer
Mark Jankowski
Draft Pick

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Their's a reason they give out tags. I wonder what the reason is for Eklund because he isn't a valid source. He's wrong more than a weather man and creates rumors just as any random HF poster does.

Because people post his rumors so often that it made sense to give out a tag so that all of those Eklund rumor threads could be easily found?

I'm just guessing here. I'm not a moderator.

(though it was explained in this very thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad