Confirmed with Link: Max Pacioretty for 2019 2nd rd, Nick Suzuki, and Tomas Tatar - UPDATE: Pacioretty extends 7m x 4

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
Pacioretty, when he is at his best, is an impact player who can dominate shifts and take over games. Tatar does not have that ability & was not worth his cap hit. This trade is such a win-win.
What? No. Give him the puck in the slot and he'll put it in, but he's not the type of player who wins game by himself. He's pretty one dimensional, good positionning, awesome shot.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
So I'm just wondering. What was the reason for McPhee being so high on Tatar that he was willing to give up so many picks for him, then in a few short months decide that he wasn't a good fit for the team and be willing to trade him just like that?

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Congrats guy, You'll like it a day or another. Like previously said, Pacioretty makes his points by his own with us. With a true #1 center, your 1st line can be elevate by a fair margin and this makes you a contender. You see the sniper but he's a pretty good puck distributor who never has someone to pass the puck to. Im curious to see him with Karlsson.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Nice deal, Patches is legit. Losing Suzuki has gotta be tough, but it's better than Brannstrom or Glass.

The Tatar trade was a complete bust, but at least McPhee got rid of him and got a 1st line winger.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Guys break down trade. Lawless believes GMGM has already had preliminary discussions with Pacioretty's agent Allen Walsh about extension. Paid too high a price otherwise.

2nd is from expansion draft (CBJ's pick). VGK still has their 2nd for next year.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Guys also mention that Pacioretty and Stasny have chemistry (from playing for Team USA).

No immigration worries as he's a US citizen. Should be in town in plenty of time for camp medicals on Thursday.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I don't know what to think of this yet aside from wahoo we got rid of Tatar.
I guess no Erik Karlsson trade now?

A 2nd to take Tatar's contract, so basically Suzuki for 1 season of Pacioretty (without giving up a conditional pick)...if Patches re-signs today for less than 6m it's a pretty good trade IMO.

NOW WE KNOW WHY THEY PUT SUZUKI AT C LAST MINUTE.

What? No. Give him the puck in the slot and he'll put it in, but he's not the type of player who wins game by himself. He's pretty one dimensional, good positionning, awesome shot.

no he's very solid defensively.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Trading for Tatar didn't work out, but you CANNOT fault McPhee for going for it. Yes it was a questionable move that turned out poorly, but McPhee is acknowledging that mistake by moving him in this deal. Would you rather have a GM who didn't try to make a move to put his team over the top when they are in position to make a run?!?

Just curious, are you only going to be satisfied if the team is built solely through the entry draft going forward?

It's about which deals you decide to do. If he gave up something big to get EK last trade deadline, that's understandable, a huge move and a gamble but you were always going to get some production out of it. Tatar was a panic move.

Pacioretty was surely available at the deadline, a 1st, 2 2nds and a 3rd should have gotten that deal done at the time and we would still have Suzuki. Even if we weren't sold on Suzuki he still could have been a trade chip going forward.

My biggest concern is the contract that will have to be handed out to Pacioretty (and I've heard that we retained 10% on Tatar) and our assets are depleting and we don't have a superstar. Teams in this league just don't often win without a superstar player.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

A 2nd to take Tatar's contract, so basically Suzuki for 1 season of Pacioretty (without giving up a conditional pick)...if Patches re-signs today for less than 6m it's a pretty good trade IMO.

And had him take over the Vegas Instagram for the day.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Well, they're a better team today but this doesn't do anything to fix 20 Schmidtless games which might put them on the outside looking in by December...

If we have him for long term, I'm confident he can bounce back to the effective 35 goal scorer he was a few years ago. He's a fantastic winger and he should thrive in a role where he's not the only forward expected to score! (Plus he'll have a real C to play with...)

Guys also mention that Pacioretty and Stasny have chemistry (from playing for Team USA).

No immigration worries as he's a US citizen. Should be in town in plenty of time for camp medicals on Thursday.

Patches was awful for Team USA though.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
EK65 - I think that Sens have a huge price tag on him. Gonna be major lockerroom mess if he's not out of there before start of camp (THURSDAY).

I don't know that VGK is willing to do this after acquiring Pacioretty (and losing Suzuki). VGK guys do talk about robustness of prospects, but it did go down by one first round pick.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
A few things I'm surprised my fellow Habs fans didn't mention (or clearly mention).

Pacioretty is a very good-bordering-great 5-on-5 AND PK'er.
He is frankly underwhelming as a PP player.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Well, they're a better team today but this doesn't do anything to fix 20 Schmidtless games which might put them on the outside looking in by December...

If we have him for long term, I'm confident he can bounce back to the effective 35 goal scorer he was a few years ago. He's a fantastic winger and he should thrive in a role where he's not the only forward expected to score! (Plus he'll have a real C to play with...)

Patches was awful for Team USA though.

"Next man up....."

Don't get me wrong, the team will.miss Schmidt, but he ain't exactly Victor Hedman.

If VGK misses, it won't be for the suspension.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
A few things I'm surprised my fellow Habs fans didn't mention (or clearly mention).

Pacioretty is a very good-bordering-great 5-on-5 AND PK'er.
He is frankly underwhelming as a PP player.

He's a fine addition to the 2nd PP unit ;)

Tuch
Marchessault-Karlsson-Smith
Miller

Haula-Stastny-Patches
Theodore Schmidt

Reactions: Boris Zubov

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
"Next man up....."

Don't get me wrong, the team will.miss Schmidt, but he ain't exactly Victor Hedman.

If VGK misses, it won't be for the suspension.

He might as well be Hedman for what he meant to the team last year.

and how funny is it Montreal got another kid who may not be a proper C?

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal

He has good positionning but nothing special defensively. A couple years ago he was one of the leader around the league in the +/-, but it was more about the Habs having a very good differential than him being solid defensively. He is good defensively but won't skate his heart off to break a play.

I'm not saying he's a bad player but I was answering somebody saying he's a game breaker.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada

heh a MTL fan beat me to it

impact player? dominate? nah.. we've played him enough times over the years to know he's a pure sniper but not a guy who is gonna dig in the corners and get the puck or take over a game on his own

hope you guys re-up him as it was a high price to pay considering what the Wings took from you for Tatar alone

good luck this season

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
heh a MTL fan beat me to it

impact player? dominate? nah.. we've played him enough times over the years to know he's a pure sniper but not a guy who is gonna dig in the corners and get the puck or take over a game on his own

hope you guys re-up him as it was a high price to pay considering what the Wings took from you for Tatar alone

good luck this season

If you buy a share of stock for $50, and the company tanks, then you sell if for $10, you didn't sell a $50 share for $10. You sold a $10 share for $10. You lost $40 on the deal, but that loss really happened when the company tanked, not when you sold the share.

Tatar is the company that tanked.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
If you buy a share of stock for $50, and the company tanks, then you sell if for $10, you didn't sell a $50 share for $10. You sold a $10 share for $10. You lost $40 on the deal, but that loss really happened when the company tanked, not when you sold the share.

Tatar is the company that tanked.
A losing sports mentality is when a GM made a mistake, whether it is paying a player too much or trading too much for said player, is to force it down the teams throats like we have to play them or to trade the player we can only get equal value back.

This is a problem I see a lot in baseball where a guy is paid eight figures a year and feel compelled to play the player every single game high in the lineup where he just isn't measuring up.

Tatar was a short term mistake and we rid ourselves of the "trying to make it work" issue.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
It's also disingenuous for people to say we needed to trade Tatar and cut ties with him after such a short time when many people were saying he just needed to settle in and get an off season with the team and time to gel. Then that flips to he wasn't working out when he gets traded.

McPhee did not get criticized by these same people at the time of the trade because "we have to give it time to see if it works out" and then when he gets traded so soon after he gets praised! Praised for cutting bait on a player and not holding on to that mistake everyone knew wasn't worth that price. You have to criticize McPhee at some point. He isn't using our capital in the best way.

EDIT: Pending the contract. If it's a good four year, good cap hit deal then I can fully get behind this.

Last edited:

Puckrobber

Backup Netminder
Feb 28, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Welcome to Sin City, Max! Looking forward to seeing you pot a lot of goals for the Knights this season.

Sad to see Suzuki go. I was hoping he & Glass could have come up together and be a dominant force on the team. Good luck in MTL, Nick!

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad