Confirmed with Link: Max Pacioretty for 2019 2nd rd, Nick Suzuki, and Tomas Tatar - UPDATE: Pacioretty extends 7m x 4

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Guess Suzuki has a ride to McCarran tomorrow.

I'm cool with offloading Tatar but Suzuki is a tough loss. While I still feel he was the least safe of the three first round picks, he still had good upside.

Seems like the top 6 is gonna look like

Marchy-Karlsson-Smith
Patches-Stastny-Tuch

Pretty good. Tatar was way too big of a question mark.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Tatar played 28 games total for Vegas.

Suzuki traded moments after the scrimmage.

Pacioretty has one year left. I wish this was a Turris type trade where he was extended. Hopefully we get word on that any second. As a pure rental, we overpaid. Extended Patches = good deal.

Vegas Mac

Golden Shellback
Jun 26, 2015
Looks like the team wasn't sold on Tatar after all. I had accepted that we'll need to hope he comes around, but tbh I am very glad to see them move on.

Max might have been a non-fit with Julien but he is definitely gonna fit here. He'll have linemates that work for the puck and his skills should translate. Got my fingers crossed this one works out.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
How is Patches skating nowadays? I watched more Vegas than Ottawa last year so I didn’t see him but once or twice.

The downward trend is very concerning considering McPhee is probably looking to extend MaxPax until his mid 30’s at probably 6-7.5 per.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Congrats on adding one of the best even strength goal scorers of the past decade who can kill penalties and find the open lanes for a breakaway. Only thing you might not like about him is his inconsistency (as all goal scorers go through droughts), his lack of playoff production (and presence) and his refusal to take a hit or lay a hit. I think he has a good chance of having a bigger impact in the playoffs with you guys than he did with us, the fan pressure and media is really as bad as they advertise in Montreal.

Last edited:

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
So basically Tatar was traded for two 2nds, a first , and a 3rd? Is that reasonable? I really feel like Mcphee who is a great GM got fleeced by Detroit and I feel like Patches was traded for Suzuki and Tatar was a throw in thats just me. Thoughts

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Can't think of Tatar as a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, when we've already received and used a portion of his contracted time since that trade.

Also can't compare what you gave to what you got unless you do it at the same time/within a few days.

It's fine. We lost one of our three (really, four...kinda, with Hague) 2017 first rounders, a mistake in Tatar is replaced, and we ditched a 2nd rounder.

Window is officially open. Hopefully Patches re-signs soon.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Pacioretty gets like 20 points more than Tatar, historically, and Tatar is two years younger and signed to a contract that will be cheaper than what Pacioretty wants in a year.

We gave up Suzuki and a 2nd for that difference.

Reactions: BadmonBill

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Can't think of Tatar as a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, when we've already received and used a portion of his contracted time since that trade.

Also can't compare what you gave to what you got unless you do it at the same time/within a few days.

It's fine. We lost one of our three (really, four...kinda, with Hague) 2017 first rounders, a mistake in Tatar is replaced, and we ditched a 2nd rounder.

Window is officially open. Hopefully Patches re-signs soon.

Hopefully we don't re-sign a 30 year old UFA winger because the deal will probably look pretty bad pretty soon making it harder for us to compete.

If we're going all in now, just go get the better players available.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Hopefully we don't re-sign a 30 year old UFA winger because the deal will probably look pretty bad pretty soon making it harder for us to compete.

If we're going all in now, just go get the better players available.

You don't trade Suzuki & Tatar without plans to resign Pax. That's horrible asset management.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
It looks bad when you think about the cost for Tatar to begin with, but I'd much rather have a GM like Mcphee that will take chances to 'go for it' as opposed to a guy like Bob Murray who is content to play things safe.

Fact of the matter is a 2nd line of Pacioretty-Stastny-Tuch is a monumentally better 2 way line than we had last year.

Probably does take us out of a potential EK deal because of the Bobby contract, but if he makes it to UFA we'll be all over it. And at that point if you get him you can ship out a Haula to recoup some assets and create some extra cap space.

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
This is a horrible deal, either way. He isn't enough of an upgrade on Tatar to warrant it. He doesn't push us over the edge into contender status, let alone into one of the Cup favorites, so it is already horrible asset management.

If you don't think Pax is a MASSIVE upgrade over Tatar, we're not watching the same sport. Tatar on this team was an unmitigated disaster. Pacioretty is an all around, 3 zone hockey player, not a one trick pony.

mundyc3

May 17, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
It is a lot to trade but I think Patches with Stastny and Tuch will reinvigorate him. This trade is more on whether we resign Pacioretty or not

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If you don't think Pax is a MASSIVE upgrade over Tatar, we're not watching the same sport. Tatar on this team was an unmitigated disaster. Pacioretty is an all around, 3 zone hockey player, not a one trick pony.

Of course Tatar wasn't good in his time here, it was also a short time. Pacioretty wasn't good last year, either.

He isn't better enough. If we are going all in now, then go get EK. Go get Panarin. Get difference makers instead of this level talent. Or just stand pat and wait for the team to develop.

Reactions: Pia8988

Boris Zubov

May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Of course Tatar wasn't good in his time here, it was also a short time. Pacioretty wasn't good last year, either.

He isn't better enough. If we are going all in now, then go get EK. Go get Panarin. Get difference makers instead of this level talent. Or just stand pat and wait for the team to develop.

Pacioretty, when he is at his best, is an impact player who can dominate shifts and take over games. Tatar does not have that ability & was not worth his cap hit. This trade is such a win-win.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad