Max Kellerman believes “ nobody cares about hockey in the US”

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Can I ask which neighbourhoods you are in when you hear this? I don't see the demographics in Scarborough or Brampton being keen on hockey, but I have to imagine the nicer neighbourhoods feel different.

That's essentially what I'm saying. The kids don't talk about hockey in my area either. It didn't used to be like that.

I'm in the Vancouver area.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Go back to bashing Tom Brady.
Never heard of the guy until this, who the hell is Max Kellerman, just looking for hits.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Go back to bashing Tom Brady.
Never heard of the guy until this, who the hell is Max Kellerman, just looking for hits.

Aren't there better ways to get hits than to talk about hockey on national US television?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Also the MLS has painted itself into a corner due to the way they set up their league and the fact that they're still expanding. Unless they make a major change, I'm willing to bet that it's all downhill from here for them

The way MLS setup the league is still why we have MLS today.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I've still never had anyone ever explain to me why I should give a firetruck about the growth of the game.

I care 0% about what the USA, or any country for that matter, thinks or cares about hockey.

Matter of fact the NHL's complete disregard for hard core fans and their weak bummed pandering to casual fans has made the league less enjoyable for me.

Last edited:

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Big 4 always has been and continue to be for the time being in order NFL NBA MLB, NHL. Armature sports aren't included as the big 4.

Reactions: RemoAZ

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I don’t think the NHL will ever surpass the NBA in terms of product and popularity.

The NBA success in being 2nd in popularity depends on their TV viewership still have access to ESPN. What's going to hurt NBA at some point if the number of people that have ESPN/TNT continue to drop.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
People on these boards say stupid nonsense about other sports all the time. So, you should logically expect people to be saying stupid nonsense about hockey.

And why do any of you care what Max Kellerman or anybody else says about hockey? Are you looking for some kind of approval for your choice in what sports you follow?

Just laugh at the stupid comments and move on.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Right now Max Kellerman would be right. Sports just aren't important at this moment, when you've got the military and police violently putting a stop to what is for the most part peaceful protests, officers, prison guards, FBI, CIA, ICE agents, Border patrol, DEA, FTA, and more going in without credible identification and ways to tie them to their acts.

Those guys could kill you and the perpetrator would never get caught.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
I've still never had anyone ever explain to me which I should give a firetruck about the growth of the game.

I care 0% about what the USA, or any country for that matter, thinks or cares about hockey.

Matter of fact the NHL's complete disregard for hard core fans and their weak bummed pandering to casual fans has made the league less enjoyable for me.
Your last paragraph says it all. I've thought and been saying the same thing for 40 years.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Who the hell is this guy and why the hell should I care what the hell he thinks about people not liking hockey? I don't even know him and don't take it seriously

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I haven't had ESPN for like a decade. I had only known this guy from watching a boxing interview here or there on the web. He seemed knowledgeable there. The first time I saw a clip of a show he was on talking about football it was like nails on a chalkboard. It's like that whenever I've heard him talking about other sports too. He's so bad you have to wonder if HE cares about any sport other than boxing. The quality of sports talk on ESPN sucks anymore so this guy fits right in.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
I’m not that’s true when considering Boxing is a worldwide sport and hockey is pretty much only popular in Canada.

You must be one of those who believe this planet only consists of America. Hockey is known worldwide, whereas this Kellerman, whoever he may be, is a zero nebody has ever heard about.

CCSantini

Apr 9, 2020
Look at the search trends.

The heavy populated GTA regions for the most part have more search results about the Raptors the past 5 years according to Google Trends.

CityLeafs: (6/6/15 - 6/6/20)Raptors: (6/6/15 - 6/6/20)
Ajax36%64%
Pickering41%59%
Innisfil
Whitchurch-Stouffville
Markham31%69%
Courtice
Kawartha Lakes72%28%
Wasaga Beach
Gravenhurst
Port Hope
Brampton29%71%
New Tecumseth
Vaughan39%61%
East Gwillimbury
Bowmanville
Midland
Huntsville
Cobourg
Orangeville
Georgina
Richmond Hill35%65%
Milton40%60%
Toronto38%62%
Bracebridge
Orillia
Collingwood
Mississauga36%64%
Halton Hills57%43%
Bradford West Gwillimbury
Whitby50%50%
Brant
Aurora48%52%
Caledon51%49%
Oakville44%56%
Oshawa54%46%
Peterborough64%36%
Barrie62%38%
Newmarket51%49%
Woodstock
Quinte West
Prince Edward
Cambridge57%43%
Burlington50%50%
Saint Thomas
Grimsby
Fort Erie
Thorold
Stratford
Belleville67%33%
Owen Sound
Brantford59%41%
Chatham-Kent73%27%
Welland
Niagara Falls58%42%
Sarnia71%29%
Guelph54%46%
Hamilton52%48%
Saint Catharines57%43%
North Bay71%29%
Mount Pearl
London58%42%
Sudbury65%35%
Timmins
Kitchener50%50%
Waterloo49%51%
Kingston56%44%
Sault Ste. Marie70%30%
St. John's67%33%
Thunder Bay66%34%
Windsor62%38%
Cornwall
Saint John
Charlottetown
Halifax55%45%
Dartmouth
Fort McMurray
Moncton
Ottawa42%58%
Fredericton
Saskatoon41%59%
Calgary36%64%
Vancouver30%70%
Regina45%55%
Victoria
Edmonton32%68%
Winnipeg34%66%
Surrey
Burnaby
Gatineau
Montreal39%61%
Laval
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Visually speaking as a person who has worked in the GTA region (worked at different offices near Yonge & Dundas aka Mecca of Canada) for the past 3 years, I definitely see more casual Raptors gear even before the Championship run they had last year. I was surrounded in environments with younger people of all backgrounds though. I'm sure it'll be different if I found work in Peterbrough.

So as expected; nicer areas watch the Leafs, the others don't

That's essentially what I'm saying. The kids don't talk about hockey in my area either. It didn't used to be like that.

I'm in the Vancouver area.

I think if you play a sport, you're more likely to be a fan of a pro team in that sport, rather than of a sport you don't play. And lets be honest, basketball doesn't take much skill to play, so it is always going to be the go to for the non-athletic people. Furthermore, at least in Toronto, if you're not playing the game, why would you want to be a fan of a team like the Leafs, who haven't won anything for nearly 60 years?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
I for one will applaud anything Max Kellerman says. Anything.

That’s because any second of airtime he is taking up is a second of airtime that his silly partner Stephen Smith isn’t able to talk. If there is a bigger fool on television than Smith (any genre), I’d like to avoid the experience of seeing it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad