Max Kellerman believes “ nobody cares about hockey in the US”

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
People always blame the sports and leagues. I just think nowadays there are so many forms of entertainment that you cannot be as popular like in the 90's or 80's if you were super popular back then. Or it is very hard. There are Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, video games, social media etc.. So many ways to spend your free time. Back then there were tv and radio and that's it. Also for example now there are so many celebrities etc. so a big boxing match does not even have that much room in tabloid.

you're right, but boxing def didn't help itself with all the promoter/judge scandals (anyone remember GGGvsCanelo?)

lawrence

May 19, 2012
its just no on the level as Basketball Football or baseball, people do care though. I know it.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I DON'T CARE WHAT MAX KELLERDON SAYS

AND WHO IS MAX KELLERDON

Say Hey Kid

Bathory
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
TV exposure and revenues in the U.S.
(Leagues ranked in order of TV ratings)
LeagueRatings / ViewersUS TV Rev
NFL10 / 16.6m (aggregate)$7.2 bn
NBA2.3 / 3.9m (ABC, 16 games)[22]
1.1 / 1.7m (TNT, 52 games)[22]
1.1 / 1.7m (ESPN, 76 games)[22]
$2.7 bn
MLB1.4 / 2.1m (Fox, 12 games)[23]
0.8 / 1.1m (ESPN, 16 games)[24]
0.3 / 0.4m (FS1, 40 games)[25]
0.2 / 0.3m (TBS, 13 games)[24]
$1.5 bn
NHL1.3m (NBC, 12 games)[26]
0.3m (NBCSN, 100 games)
$200 m
MLS1.0m (FOX, 5 games)[27]
0.3m (ESPN, 34 games)
0.2m (FS1, 29 games)
0.3m (Univ, 34 games)[27]
$90 m
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Generalizations are never true, but (excluding the MLS) it's relatively true to say that about US NHL viewership compared to the other 3 major league sports. Many large US cities such as Houston, Atlanta, New Orleans, San Francisco, and San Diego don't even have a team.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Walk around the Vegas strip for a day and tell me with a straight face nobody cares about hockey. There's more Golden Knights branding there than there is Flames stuff in Calgary. Like much much more.
Lol I'd challenge anyone to go to any Sam's Club or Costco in Vegas and successfully avoid seeing at least two different people wearing Golden Knights merch.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I don’t think the NHL will ever surpass the NBA in terms of product and popularity.
I agree but thats not saying much. I think basketball is the third most popular sport in the world. Behind only soccer and cricket (only because they have huge fan base in India and Pakistan).

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

NHL needs to capitalize off the controversy this has caused. Definitely need young players like MacKinnon, McDavid, Matthews, and Aho to have big playoff runs and to actually promote them. Crosby and Ovechkin cannot continue to be the only modern stars that NHL promote on a mainstream media.

Puckluck

Jan 8, 2016
Walmart is much more "popular" than whole foods based on number of customers.

Tiny condos are more popular than high end castles based on sales.

NBA is more popular than NHL. Does not mean it is a better product.
l

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

NHL needs to capitalize off the controversy this has caused. Definitely need young players like MacKinnon, McDavid, Matthews, and Aho to have big playoff runs and to actually promote them. Crosby and Ovechkin cannot continue to be the only modern stars that NHL promote on a mainstream media.

Haha, even Cowherd is on this now. Next up needs to be Skip Bayless.
Walmart is much more "popular" than whole foods based on number of customers.

Tiny condos are more popular than high end castles based on sales.

NBA is more popular than NHL. Does not mean it is a better product.
l
Has the NHL put up anything like the 2016 NBA finals in the last five years?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

People relate to sports they play.

Hockey just isn’t an accessible sport.

In Canada, it’s dropped behind soccer in terms of participation.

And the only reason for a bump in participation is that more girls are playing now. Hockey participation for boys has dropped.

If the NHL really wanted to grow it’s fan base, it would stop trying to get NASCAR fans to understand the game and instead make it accessible for a female demographic.

Reactions: Rad Dude83

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012

giphy.gif

It's probably not how we wanted it to happen, but hockey is finally getting the attention from the hot take industry we all desperately crave!!! Validation has never tasted so sweet!!!

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He doing a national show, and in that context, he's not wrong, although he's purposely exaggerating the point by saying "nobody cares". Obviously the interest is more than zero but still absolutely dwarfed by the most popular sports on a national scale. The national TV ratings have been telling this story in the US forever.

Where the nhl seems to make their mark is on a regional level in the US, and that's fine too. Ultimately, a game played on ice has created its niche space to thrive in a crowded US sporting market. That's not an easy feat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coinneach

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
For what it's worth, Charles Barkley has stated on a few occasions that he'd rather be watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs than the NBA Playoffs. Phil Jackson too.

Phil Jackson prefers NHL playoffs to NBA: 'More fun, much more action'

The NBA and NFL get more attention but that doesn't mean either a better product. The NBA and their pundits spent the off-season talking about what great parity was about to come from this season and what do we have? It's very likely we're going to have Bucks vs Lakers in the Finals, maybe the Clippers have an argument but the other 27 teams have next to no shot. It's gotten to the point where we can predict the Finals on the first day of free agency.

And I say this as someone who watches both playoffs, but the only time I can say I truly more entertained by the NBA Playoffs than the NHL was 2005 when there was no Stanley Cup. Maybe 2011 since I was rooting hard for Dirk to get his championship. But even in years where the Stanley Cup Playoffs were not great, the NBA Playoffs were just as bad. With Hockey, you don't know when a goal is coming. NBA takes forever with replays to see who touched the ball last, whether the shooter had his foot on the line, was that a flagrant foul?, did the ball leave the hand before or after the shot clock went off, etc. It takes forever to play the last two minutes of a close game and it becomes unwatchable, NCAA is the same way now.

Football is becoming harder to watch too, way too many replays/challenges/ticky-tacky penalties, it takes forever to play out the last few minutes of a close game, there's TV timeouts after every punt, challenge, score, replay, etc. On top of this, I sometimes get burned out by the constant Football coverage that dominates the news media, it gets to be too much for me, especially during the off-season.

And, honestly for my money attending Hockey games is just more fun than either Football or Basketball. Baseball is okay live, TV not so much. Hockey fans generally are knowledgable and don't hop around from team to team like NBA fans do. NFL attendees are kind of half knowledgeable/passionate and half idiotic know-nothings/drunken fools.

But, this is all just my opinion. I don't mind the NHL not being as popular as the other sports but I do get tired of the "Hurr-durr no one cares/lol not a Southern sport" that I personally deal with. It is what it is I guess.

Reactions: 63 others

Puckluck

Jan 8, 2016

Has the NHL put up anything like the 2016 NBA finals in the last five years?
There has never been a 101 to 115 score in NHL, but that is not a bad thing.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
For what it's worth, Charles Barkley has stated on a few occasions that he'd rather be watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs than the NBA Playoffs. Phil Jackson too.

Phil Jackson prefers NHL playoffs to NBA: 'More fun, much more action'

The NBA and NFL get more attention but that doesn't mean either a better product. The NBA and their pundits spent the off-season talking about what great parity was about to come from this season and what do we have? It's very likely we're going to have Bucks vs Lakers in the Finals, maybe the Clippers have an argument but the other 27 teams have next to no shot. It's gotten to the point where we can predict the Finals on the first day of free agency.

And I say this as someone who watches both playoffs, but the only time I can say I truly more entertained by the NBA Playoffs than the NHL was 2005 when there was no Stanley Cup. Maybe 2011 since I was rooting hard for Dirk to get his championship. But even in years where the Stanley Cup Playoffs were not great, the NBA Playoffs were just as bad. With Hockey, you don't know when a goal is coming. NBA takes forever with replays to see who touched the ball last, whether the shooter had his foot on the line, was that a flagrant foul?, did the ball leave the hand before or after the shot clock went off, etc. It takes forever to play the last two minutes of a close game and it becomes unwatchable, NCAA is the same way now.

Football is becoming harder to watch too, way too many replays/challenges/ticky-tacky penalties, it takes forever to play out the last few minutes of a close game, there's TV timeouts after every punt, challenge, score, replay, etc. On top of this, I sometimes get burned out by the constant Football coverage that dominates the news media, it gets to be too much for me, especially during the off-season.

And, honestly for my money attending Hockey games is just more fun than either Football or Basketball. Baseball is okay live, TV not so much. Hockey fans generally are knowledgable and don't hop around from team to team like NBA fans do. NFL attendees are kind of half knowledgeable/passionate and half idiotic know-nothings/drunken fools.

But, this is all just my opinion. I don't mind the NHL not being as popular as the other sports but I do get tired of the "Hurr-durr no one cares/lol not a Southern sport" that I personally deal with. It is what it is I guess.

I live in the Vancouver area, and I definitely see the nba making gains here.

The younger generation here prefers to talk about basketball before any other sport. When I was growing up, we talked about the nhl first and foremost, and that was during Jordan's reign.

In terms of the product, I feel like the games are kind of running in parallel. Both leagues are emphasizing pace and skill, while the rough and tumble tactics have been pushed aside for the most part.

I still find the nba watchable, although I'd prefer a bit more parity, but I think in places like Toronto, and Vancouver, the younger crowd definitely connects with the nba, and the nhl needs to do something to reach these fans too.

Reactions: Cassano

CCSantini

Apr 9, 2020
but I think in places like Toronto, and Vancouver, the younger crowd definitely connects with the nba, and the nhl needs to do something to reach these fans too.

Can I ask which neighbourhoods you are in when you hear this? I don't see the demographics in Scarborough or Brampton being keen on hockey, but I have to imagine the nicer neighbourhoods feel different.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Can I ask which neighbourhoods you are in when you hear this? I don't see the demographics in Scarborough or Brampton being keen on hockey, but I have to imagine the nicer neighbourhoods feel different.
Look at the search trends.

The heavy populated GTA regions for the most part have more search results about the Raptors the past 5 years according to Google Trends.

CityLeafs: (6/6/15 - 6/6/20)Raptors: (6/6/15 - 6/6/20)
Ajax36%64%
Pickering41%59%
Innisfil
Whitchurch-Stouffville
Markham31%69%
Courtice
Kawartha Lakes72%28%
Wasaga Beach
Gravenhurst
Port Hope
Brampton29%71%
New Tecumseth
Vaughan39%61%
East Gwillimbury
Bowmanville
Midland
Huntsville
Cobourg
Orangeville
Georgina
Richmond Hill35%65%
Milton40%60%
Toronto38%62%
Bracebridge
Orillia
Collingwood
Mississauga36%64%
Halton Hills57%43%
Bradford West Gwillimbury
Whitby50%50%
Brant
Aurora48%52%
Caledon51%49%
Oakville44%56%
Oshawa54%46%
Peterborough64%36%
Barrie62%38%
Newmarket51%49%
Woodstock
Quinte West
Prince Edward
Cambridge57%43%
Burlington50%50%
Saint Thomas
Grimsby
Fort Erie
Thorold
Stratford
Belleville67%33%
Owen Sound
Brantford59%41%
Chatham-Kent73%27%
Welland
Niagara Falls58%42%
Sarnia71%29%
Guelph54%46%
Hamilton52%48%
Saint Catharines57%43%
North Bay71%29%
Mount Pearl
London58%42%
Sudbury65%35%
Timmins
Kitchener50%50%
Waterloo49%51%
Kingston56%44%
Sault Ste. Marie70%30%
St. John's67%33%
Thunder Bay66%34%
Windsor62%38%
Cornwall
Saint John
Charlottetown
Halifax55%45%
Dartmouth
Fort McMurray
Moncton
Ottawa42%58%
Fredericton
Saskatoon41%59%
Calgary36%64%
Vancouver30%70%
Regina45%55%
Victoria
Edmonton32%68%
Winnipeg34%66%
Surrey
Burnaby
Gatineau
Montreal39%61%
Laval
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Visually speaking as a person who has worked in the GTA region (worked at different offices near Yonge & Dundas aka Mecca of Canada) for the past 3 years, I definitely see more casual Raptors gear even before the Championship run they had last year. I was surrounded in environments with younger people of all backgrounds though. I'm sure it'll be different if I found work in Peterbrough.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Any business that generates billions out of the U.S. probably can't be described as being something that "nobody cares about."

Sure, it is not as popular as other sports, but it is not that far off from the likes of soccer or baseball. It doesn't help that the NHL has had lame television contracts for a while now. If they went back to ESPN and such they'd probably generate a larger viewership.

In the end, most American markets have good attendance, tv viewership, and merchandise sales. So I don't think you can really question the sustainability of the sport, the only question is growth.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad