Max Domi

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
If he'd sign this deal I would sign it now. But I have a feeling he'll want a bigger payday
Dude is a pending UFA and we are not Tampa. If he has a good year he'll want max term and +6m.

Any agent that would let his UFA player sign a deal with fair AAV that lasts from 26 to 31 years old should be fired.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
He’s better than Josh Anderson, Jack Roslovic and many other guys that are perceived as better players.

The same “question marks” and inconsistencies exist with many comparable players.
I think he's capable of being such. I don't know if he consistently is, but, well, frankly, that's still a question for the guys you're putting him ahead of as well, so, whatever. :)

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
He has a lot of motivation to play well this year. I like him OK but he's not someone I would commit to long term. Jarmo has made mistakes in the past signing guys based on their contract year numbers. I hope he doesn't make that mistake again. If he continues to play well I could support a short term deal (2 yrs but he will want more) but I would prefer a deadline trade. He's a wing in their eyes and they are loaded with players on the wing.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He has a lot of motivation to play well this year. I like him OK but he's not someone I would commit to long term. Jarmo has made mistakes in the past signing guys based on their contract year numbers. I hope he doesn't make that mistake again. If he continues to play well I could support a short term deal (2 yrs but he will want more) but I would prefer a deadline trade. He's a wing in their eyes and they are loaded with players on the wing.

Given the extreme inconsistency he's shown so far in his career, I wouldn't be surprised if Domi is that rare case where he'd take a 1 or 2 year extension. If he's playing really well he'll want a lengthier chance to prove that this is who he is now. Two solid years in a row would get him a lot more than one up year.

I don't think his trade value is going to be as good as his play on the ice would make you think, just because of his track record. If the team is struggling (as we generally expected) then I think they move him regardless. But if they're good and he's good then I hope they'll talk.

Reactions: CoachWithNoTeam

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think his trade value is going to be as good as his play on the ice would make you think, just because of his track record. If the team is struggling (as we generally expected) then I think they move him regardless. But if they're good and he's good then I hope they'll talk.

This is more addition by subtraction and I'm not looking for some kind of great return for him. Domi moves on in a trade for whatever Jarmo gets and it frees up cap space and a roster spot for another player. They are already loaded on the wing (where Domi plays) and Jarmo has said that Marchenko is coming next year as well. Johnson is also on the horizon and he may end up being a wing as well. These players aren't coming here to play in Cleveland so something has to give. It's not a decision based on his play (he's not going to continuously dominate like he did the other night but he's better than the shit show he put out last season) but more so timing of his contract running out and a numbers game for his roster spot plus the cap space.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
This is more addition by subtraction and I'm not looking for some kind of great return for him. Domi moves on in a trade for whatever Jarmo gets and it frees up cap space and a roster spot for another player. They are already loaded on the wing (where Domi plays) and Jarmo has said that Marchenko is coming next year as well. Johnson is also on the horizon and he may end up being a wing as well. These players aren't coming here to play in Cleveland so something has to give. It's not a decision based on his play (he's not going to continuously dominate like he did the other night but he's better than the shit show he put out last season) but more so timing of his contract running out and a numbers game for his roster spot plus the cap space.
And where is written Marchenko or Johnson will play so good like Domi? And again, will always make room for a new young player/s? What time? Are we a kindergarten for players, or do we want to win? CBJ is already the youngest team now. So, let them deserve a spot.

Last edited:

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I haven't seen much of Domi outside of CBJ, but this far in his career he averages 53 points / 82 gp and his seasons range from 36p/82 (last season) to 72p. Actually apart from last season, I can't see that much fluctuation in his offensive production, he's been pretty solid in pacing for 50+ points. In terms of offensive production, it seems he really has been quite consistent, if you think of him as 50+ point player and don't judge him against his career high 70+, which is something he hasn't been able to repeat. On his career year (to date), he had a way higher shooting % and scored 28 goals, which is way more than any other season. Not much of a goal scorer then.

I wouldn't judge him based on last season alone, it was a mess and clearly he was lost and not playing to his strengths, also I think it was never really disclosed when he had his shoulder injury and if it affected him last season. If he will sign for what a 50-60p defensively iffy winger is worth, then I don't see much risk. From what I've seen in CBJ, he certainly seems more effective from the wing. If he has a good season, I doubt he would take a paycut for his next contract, but I have a hard time seeing anyone giving him much of a raise, unless he has another career year.

Reactions: thebus88 and VT

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
And where is written Marchenko or Johnson will play so good like Domi? And again, will always make room for a new young player/s? What time? Are we a kindergarten for players, or do we want to win? CBJ is already the youngest team now. So, let them deserve a place

Isn't Sillinger on this team?

We can have our own opinions on this player or that player but that was not my point nor was I comparing Domi vs those players you mentioned. The point was how are you going to use your cap space and roster spaces for your team, what is the cap space allocated towards those players, how many roster spots are available and most importantly is Domi the player to use one of those spots on. You may think so. It's ok. I don't.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

We can have our own opinions on this player or that player but that was not my point nor was I comparing Domi vs those players you mentioned. The point was how are you going to use your cap space and roster spaces for your team, what is the cap space allocated towards those players, how many roster spots are available and most importantly is Domi the player to use one of those spots on. You may think so. It's ok. I don't.
Sillinger is a center and he has won his spot, nobody has made room for him. Let Marchenko, Johnson will win a spot too.

Reactions: thebus88

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Sillinger is a center and he has won his spot, nobody has made room for him. Let Marchenko, Johnson will win a spot too.

This is false and your opinion (yes I know the team kept him and that's all that matters). Sillinger was a numbers game. He was fine and held his own. He didn't "earn" his spot......he has no competion.

Since we're talking about Sillinger I thought he played great the other night. He was very poised in his post game interview for a young guy. Looks like a home run for the team.

Edit: Back to the Domi discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: majormajor

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
This is false and your opinion (yes I know the team kept him and that's all that matters). Sillinger was a numbers game. He was fine and held his own. He didn't "earn" his spot......he has no competion.

Since we're talking about Sillinger I thought he played great the other night. He was very poised in his post game interview for a young guy. Looks like a home run for the team.
No? If he isn't be good do you think Danforth/Stenlund/Dunne wouldn't stay here? Or Domi/Jenner wouldn't play the center? It's a risk to let so young player. But he has played like a real center and it's important. In fact he's the best center in the team.

Reactions: db2011

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I don't see cap space being as big of a problem as the roster spaces issue. I think how this gets resolved will be how the guys perform this year. I'm not sure there is room for everyone but if Laine have career years it will be interesting.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I don't see cap space being as big of a problem as the roster spaces issue. I think how this gets resolved will be how the guys perform this year. I'm not sure there is room for everyone but if Laine have career years it will be interesting.

Yes Laine is another interesting decision. I'm personally not convinced he's a long term guy.

But this is a Max thread so we should take this and the roster dicussion elsewhere.

Edit: It would be much easier to keep Max around if Laine isn't here.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebus88

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yes Laine is another interesting decision. I'm personally not convinced he's a long term guy.

But this is a Max thread so we should take this and the roster dicussion elsewhere.

Edit: It would be much easier to keep Max around if Laine isn't here.

I think we're on the same page here.

The club can't keep all of its top 9 veteran wingers (Laine, Domi, Voracek, Nyquist), one or two will have to go to make room for the next wave of rookies. If Domi plays like he did last year then it is a pretty easy decision to make him one of the cuts, but he might be making this more interesting for us. And Laine might make it an easy decision if he insists on being overpaid (most likely, in my opinion).

Reactions: Byrral

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think we're on the same page here.

The club can't keep all of its top 9 veteran wingers (Laine, Domi, Voracek, Nyquist), one or two will have to go to make room for the next wave of rookies. If Domi plays like he did last year then it is a pretty easy decision to make him one of the cuts, but he might be making this more interesting for us. And Laine might make it an easy decision if he insists on being overpaid (most likely, in my opinion).
veteran Laine... 1998
rookie Marchenko...2000
rookie Chinakhov...2001

so rookies are only two/three years younger than veteran :laugh:

Btw will we trade all excelent (if Laine returns his play) for rookies? In this case we could trade all except Bjork, Jenner and Zach and can tank to draft Berard. :sarcasm: And then again because of Wright/Michkov and so on... . Of course if we trade for picks we could get more picks and more rookies... :sarcasm:

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Domi suffering this injury is a real shame as he looked like he had lots of jump and was ready to show the best of his game.

Yeah for sure. Hope max recovers and gets back out there soon. We’ll miss him, but it’ll be cool to see Chinakhov out there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad