Max Domi

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Max with Boone Jenner is my favourite player. He has a vision, speed, skill. Yes, he had problems but it's gone. I hope he'll stay here. IMHO it's really time to try him with Bjork and Patrik. Emil or Tex can play with Jack and Cam. Plus Gus'll return soon (I hope).

I follow his Instagram, yes CBJ is away from his biography but I hope it means nothing serious.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Center or winger, anybody else looking/hoping for the team to re-sign Domi “long term”??

He’s not a perfect player, but, he essentially brings every quality that I want a player on my team to have.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Center or winger, anybody else looking/hoping for the team to re-sign Domi “long term”??

He’s not a perfect player, but, he essentially brings every quality that I want a player on my team to have.

No. I would move on from him with this current team and where they seem to be headed. He's a tweener between a wing and a center . He plays with an edge but he's not physical. Anything over what he makes now is too much and he's probably going to want a longer term deal.

He can be good but he is not a difference maker. The skills/talent he brings to the table can be replaced by a cheaper option. He's a decent player who can be better than he has been here but he's replaceable.

Reactions: LJ7201

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
What if he shows signs of becoming the next Brad Marchand? Say he is on track for a 50-60 pt season at the deadline? Do trade him for lots of assets? Or do you try and extend him? That would be costly.

Unless he is completely blowing up his stats I'd trade him for whatever I can get at the deadline.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What if he shows signs of becoming the next Brad Marchand? Say he is on track for a 50-60 pt season at the deadline? Do trade him for lots of assets? Or do you try and extend him? That would be costly.

Unless he is completely blowing up his stats I'd trade him for whatever I can get at the deadline.

The trouble with Domi is that he has pulled the disappearing act so many times in his career, that you'll just never know what to expect. Say he scores 55 pts this year and we sign him to a $6m x 6. He could score 70 the next season, or 30-some and not even be skating out there.

That's why we got him for a one-goal player. His trade value will probably never be very high.

Saying all that, when he is good, he is very good, and I really enjoy watching him. I hope he is that rare player who gets better when he ages past his physical prime.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Too much of a meat head and the consistency issues? Nah, hard pass. Hope he catches fire and Jarmo can trade (and retain) him by Christmas, maybe find a team that has some injuries and is desperate. Otherwise, trade deadline.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Why would they trade for Domi in the 1st place if they didn’t see a fit or possible long term signing??

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Why would they trade for Domi in the 1st place if they didn’t see a fit or possible long term signing??

I think it was a classic to get the most value in a trade. They ticked off Anderson and he wasn't resigning here.
I largely agree with majormajor that I don't trust the consistency.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Last night was the Domi I was looking for all last year and who I had hoped would be coming for Andy. He had jump, wheels, feistiness and showed his skill. I know he won't pull 3 pts per game but if he plays with that pace and level of commitment, he'll be a 60-70pt player in a 2nd line role and could be a big piece this year. Will be interesting to see where this team is mid-season to see his future. I mean, they wouldn't extend him would they :sarcasm::popcorn:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Honestly, as someone who doesn't/didn't love Domi's game even prior to being here, I think he has potential to take another step here. I don't think he will necessarily be as good as his one MTL season where he scored 70 points, but I think he can be a high end 2nd line scoring winger for us. He seems to really enjoy being here too, which is always nice to see.

Also important to remember, Domi is only 26 years old. He's been around forever, and I think that means people think he's older than he is, but he is right in prime age. It's only one game, so trying to get a hold of myself, but if he has a good season (on pace for 50ish+ points) I would try to keep him. At most you're getting some picks for him, and we have plenty of opportunities to get those with other older UFA's to be down the line (Nyquist, potentially Laine (although I hope not), Kukan, Korpi, etc).

If he does all these things I would have no issue giving Domi a 5-6 year contract at around 7-7.5 mill. He brings a dimension that we don't have much of (high end skill and playmaking). Voracek is up there in age, and you can never have too many playmakers.

Reactions: thebus88

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Granted, it's one game, but I loved what I saw out of Domi last night. He played with skill, passion, and energy. I also loved his post game comments. Sounds like a team player/leader. Plus, he obviously busted his butt rehabbing the shoulder to get back for opening night.

The chemistry of this team feels totally different and better than last year.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
I've always been a Domi fan. I know he can be a bit of a hot-head, and take dumb penalties but he definitely adds a spark......
I'd like to see the CBJ keep him past this year.

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Most of us are thinking it, so I'm just going to say it. Was Torts the problem with Domi last year?

It’s the easy answer and that will satisfy a lot of people.

For me, it’s way more complicated. Something was really amiss with this club last year and I’m willing to chalk most of the specific things that went wrong up to whatever miasma was happening and move on.

Last edited:

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
Julien and Torts were not good matches for Domi as a player. He needs a coach who allows him to use his speed and creativity. Torts and Julien were more old-school coaches.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Honestly, as someone who doesn't/didn't love Domi's game even prior to being here, I think he has potential to take another step here. I don't think he will necessarily be as good as his one MTL season where he scored 70 points, but I think he can be a high end 2nd line scoring winger for us. He seems to really enjoy being here too, which is always nice to see.

Also important to remember, Domi is only 26 years old. He's been around forever, and I think that means people think he's older than he is, but he is right in prime age. It's only one game, so trying to get a hold of myself, but if he has a good season (on pace for 50ish+ points) I would try to keep him. At most you're getting some picks for him, and we have plenty of opportunities to get those with other older UFA's to be down the line (Nyquist, potentially Laine (although I hope not), Kukan, Korpi, etc).

If he does all these things I would have no issue giving Domi a 5-6 year contract at around 7-7.5 mill. He brings a dimension that we don't have much of (high end skill and playmaking). Voracek is up there in age, and you can never have too many playmakers.

I was right there with you until that price tag at the end. When Domi is on I think he is certainly worth that amount. He is a player that we need. But how do we know which Domi we are going to get year to year? It seems to me that that uncertainty needs to be priced into the deal.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Or was it the room? Torts isn’t the only person who isn’t here anymore.

When a player doesn't skate, like at all, then that's a problem either physically or in between their ears. Domi was also like that in the bubble playoffs in Montreal. It's not anyone else's fault that a player isn't doing the one thing that they have control over.

Reactions: Monstershockey

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
When a player doesn't skate, like at all, then that's a problem either physically or in between their ears. Domi was also like that in the bubble playoffs in Montreal. It's not anyone else's fault that a player isn't doing the one thing that they have control over.

I meant it more generally than specifically to Domi. I think anything that works this year and didn’t work last year will be blamed on Torts. I think there may be other culprits besides Torts. Plus it was a weird year generally last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->