Player Discussion Max Domi - The Maximum Dominator (70+ Point) Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
If you look at Bergevin’s entire tenure you can then honestly assess that he has sucked as a GM. Maybe after 6 years of totally destroying this team he may finally be learning. I have serious doubts.

I always wondered if Dudley leaving was the reason for this improvement.

Reactions: Redux91

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
We can credit him for Domi but let's be honest, it was two problem children for one another. A lateral move that MB has been famous for since he got here.

Congrats to you if you predicted that Domi would be a 70 point player this season. I didn't and I don't think anyone did. And that includes Bergevin.

So sure, credit him but there's absolutely no way he could've known it was going to turn out this way. It was another reactive move on a like for like only this time it really paid off. I'm sorry, I can't credit him for being any kind of visionary here. I give him much more credit on the Suzuki trade. That was a true rebuild move and he got a great prospect out of it. He got lucky (again) on Tatar as he was a salary dump but whether Suzuki pans out or busts I will give him full credit for taking a chance on a prospect like that. It's one of the few moves he's made where I felt he demonstrated an actual vision on a trade.

This post is the perfect example of denial. Can't stand the man so we'll belittle his present accomplishments. True he made mistakes in the past but you're not addressing the past. You're belittling what he has done the last year. You claim most of it was luck. Well let's see.

Last night's roster:

Tatar Danault Gally
Leky Domi Shaw
Drouin Weal Armia
KK Thompson Byron

Mete Weber
Kulak Petry
Benn Folin

Price
Niemi

Players acquired by our excellent amateur scouting staff:
Gally, Leky, KK, Mete, Price

Players acquired by the GM
Tatar, Danault, Domi, Shaw, Drouin, Armia, Byron, Weal, Thompson, Weber, Kulak, Petry, Benn, Folin, Niemi

Those two lists show me a number of things. The amateur scouting has blundered for a number years. The GM had to find other means of building. From that list how many are bad moves? I would say Niemi and Drouin. So most of the good parts according to you fell into his lap. He got lucky. I won't even try to argue that silly point. Since you brought up the luck factor I'll just repeat the old adage. You gotta be good to be lucky.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This post is the perfect example of denial. Can't stand the man so we'll belittle his present accomplishments.
I gave an honest assessment of what I think happened. And I was consistent in my assessment. This will hold true if Suzuki busts. THAT was a great trade regardless of the end result because it had some vision behind it. He dealt away a player who had value and wasn't going to be here for long and maximized it for a good prospect. That's something I can get behind all day long even if Suzuki doesn't pan out.

By the same token though, I'm not going to sit here and credit him for a player who's exceeded beyond all expectations on a lateral trade. Sorry but no.

This has nothing to do with how I feel about the guy either. I feel he's a bad GM that's definitely true but it's not based on anything personal. It's based on the results I've seen from his tenure. And as I said, I'll credit him somewhat for Domi - good move. But it doesn't move the needle for me in terms of how I view him as a GM.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
We can credit him for Domi but let's be honest, it was two problem children for one another. A lateral move that MB has been famous for since he got here.

Congrats to you if you predicted that Domi would be a 70 point player this season. I didn't and I don't think anyone did. And that includes Bergevin.

So sure, credit him but there's absolutely no way he could've known it was going to turn out this way. It was another reactive move on a like for like only this time it really paid off. I'm sorry, I can't credit him for being any kind of visionary here. I give him much more credit on the Suzuki trade. That was a true rebuild move and he got a great prospect out of it. He got lucky (again) on Tatar as he was a salary dump but whether Suzuki pans out or busts I will give him full credit for taking a chance on a prospect like that. It's one of the few moves he's made where I felt he demonstrated an actual vision on a trade.
The Domi's case, it was a gamble.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The Domi's case, it was a gamble.
Sure. But it was borne out of mismanaging a good young player who should've done much more for us than he did. Like almost all of MB's moves it was a lateral trade not some kind of move for futures the way the Suzuki one was.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I gave an honest assessment of what I think happened. And I was consistent in my assessment. This will hold true if Suzuki busts. THAT was a great trade regardless of the end result because it had some vision behind it. He dealt away a player who had value and wasn't going to be here for long and maximized it for a good prospect. That's something I can get behind all day long even if Suzuki doesn't pan out.

By the same token though, I'm not going to sit here and credit him for a player who's exceeded beyond all expectations on a lateral trade. Sorry but no.

This has nothing to do with how I feel about the guy either. I feel he's a bad GM that's definitely true but it's not based on anything personal. It's based on the results I've seen from his tenure. And as I said, I'll credit him somewhat for Domi - good move. But it doesn't move the needle for me in terms of how I view him as a GM.
you have bizarre rational.
What does a lateral trade even mean?
He traded away AG hoping Domi would be better and he was right.
Nothing would move your "needle". You refuse to give him credit for the simple reason of refusing to give him credit.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's self explanatory. A like for like player. Two problem children.
You hit the nail on the head here - hope. Hope is not a strategy.

And you are also ignoring MB's role in Galchenyuk underperforming here.

Nothing would move your "needle". You refuse to give him credit for the simple reason of refusing to give him credit.
Nothing will move the needle insofar as his first six years here. That's absolutely true. There's no reversing that and that's what I think he'll be remembered for.

But that doesn't mean I'm not open to praising him on present and future moves. And he gets a lot more credit from me on the Suzuki trade than the Domi one - even if Suzuki doesn't turn out to be the guy who we hope he will be.

Reactions: Runner77

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
When Max is keeping himself outside of infuriating distractions. Far away... He's effective.

It gave him more benefits than harms. Being back on track. Ennemies want to play on his mindset. The likes of his nerve. His temper. His coolness. Destabilizing him is their main target. Keeping him out of sight. Keeping him away from his gameplan.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Nothing will move the needle insofar as his first six years here. That's absolutely true. There's no reversing that and that's what I think he'll be remembered for.

But that doesn't mean I'm not open to praising him on present and future moves. And he gets a lot more credit from me on the Suzuki trade than the Domi one - even if Suzuki doesn't turn out to be the guy who we hope he will be.
I think you may be underestimating his scouting staff on the Domi trade. Their is no way he just blindly gambled on Domi. Yes, he absolutely hit the jackpot but he obviously identified Domi had potential.

I remember the day this trade happened people on here were in an outrage saying this was a horrible trade. Obviously MB knew something we didn't here

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think you may be underestimating his scouting staff on the Domi trade. Their is no way he just blindly gambled on Domi. Yes, he absolutely hit the jackpot but he obviously identified Domi had potential.

I remember the day this trade happened people on here were in an outrage saying this was a horrible trade. Obviously MB knew something we didn't here
I think it was similar to the Subban deal. He wanted to be rid of a player and took the most equivalent value he could find.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Just stop answering and let him talk his bullshit himself. He would trade for McDavid and it would not be a good move it would be only luck. They probably never been in a high level locker room to talk like that

Reactions: jaffy27

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

all trades are calculated gambles. He won the trade. Quit with the "lateral moves" line. It was a big WIN and all credit goes to him.
Is MB still responsible for Galchenyuk under performing. in AZ?

Reactions: jaffy27 and sharks9

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Sure. But it was borne out of mismanaging a good young player who should've done much more for us than he did. Like almost all of MB's moves it was a lateral trade not some kind of move for futures the way the Suzuki one was.
Mismanaging??

So Galchenyuk has the IQ to be a centreman now??

Why hasn’t he blossomed in Arizona then?

Why has Domi excelled at centre here while Galchenyuk never could??

Are you ready to give credit to management for showing Domi how to play Centre since he clearly couldn’t do jack AZ? I mean he did have B2B 9 goal seasons.....we must’ve done something right!!

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
all trades are calculated gambles. He won the trade. Quit with the "lateral moves" line. It was a big WIN and all credit goes to him.
Is MB still responsible for Galchenyuk under performing. in AZ?
Apparently we ruined him....meanwhile, Domi is excelling here big time......must be doing it on his own while not listening to nobody

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I think it was similar to the Subban deal. He wanted to be rid of a player and took the most equivalent value he could find.
So Arizona came calling and they pounced on the first offer without any input from any type of pro scouts....they just took whatever.....:facepalm:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Yeah you have to give Bergevin full credit on this one. I can't stand him, but he obviously planned on Domi being better and he was right. Similarly to the Subban trade, he planned on Weber being better(especially given the age and contract difference) and that did not work out in my opinion.

Reactions: Vachon23

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Whatever the reason it happened, the result is now that we have a legit offensive center, the first in a long time. And, personally, I think he hasn't peaked. The guy thrives in a hockey market. He's a gamer.

Totally agree. He's been a great surprise and has only gotten better. I would rather his contractual situation be addressed at the earliest opportunity as he's only going to cost more moving forward.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This post is the perfect example of denial. Can't stand the man so we'll belittle his present accomplishments.
Why does it have to be one or the other? You can't say credit for a trade but he also got really lucky with it?
Bergevin himself said Domi was traded to play wing, and given the contract they signed him to, it's obvious they had no idea he would be as good as he's been.
So kudos to him but ya, he also got pretty lucky. Nothing irrational about that.

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah you have to give Bergevin full credit on this one. I can't stand him, but he obviously planned on Domi being better and he was right. Similarly to the Subban trade, he planned on Weber being better(especially given the age and contract difference) and that did not work out in my opinion.

If he planned on it, why extend Domi to such a small bridge deal? Compare to previous season when they traded for Drouin. They believed he would be a big part of this team, they locked him up to a longer deal right away.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Why hasn’t he blossomed in Arizona then?

How come Galch didn't now develop after spending 6 years moving from left to right to center to up to down to up...Jeez..I wonder. How will we ever crack this...Certainly, this is a case in desperate need of Sherlock Holmes!

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
How come Galch didn't now develop after spending 6 years moving from left to right to center to up to down to up...Jeez..I wonder. How will we ever crack this...Certainly, this is a case in desperate need of Sherlock Holmes!

Or maybe he's just not good enough to do better than he has so far. Mystery solved!

Reactions: Vachon23
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad