Player Discussion Max Domi - RFA

Status
Not open for further replies.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Man you guys gotta stop saying Domi value is low

We literally just saw Pittsburgh giving a 15th oa + a good prospect for 2 garbage for 2nd-3rd-liner in Kapanen.
Domi is better , also a center and hes young , and rfa. no way we cant give a 9oa from a team that badly needs a top 6 center.

His floor isn't that bad. High 40s. He has the skill. One year removed from a 70 pt season. We can debate how aberrational that season was but 60 pts isn't out of the question. With the right fit he can hover around 60 year to year I'm sure.

He can get you a solid return.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The point is you trade Domi to increase the talent in the Top 6.

4th line needs an upgrade, sure, but that can easily be done without having to hang on to Domi. It’s unfair to judge the 4th line in the playoffs because we were under the assumption that the Habs were not in the playoffs, so they traded Thompson and Cousins. That makes for a very different line.

Do the Habs keep contradicting themselves saying that they want 4 lines that can bring it and then they load up on 2 lines and dilute the bottom 2?

Maybe Management should avoid the labeling of lines 1-4 and call the line whichever C centers it.Would save a lot of flummoxing and possible avoid dissension within the team dynamics.

Reactions: 26Mats

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Man you guys gotta stop saying Domi value is low

We literally just saw Pittsburgh giving a 15th oa + a good prospect for 2 garbage for 2nd-3rd-liner in Kapanen.
Domi is better , also a center and hes young , and rfa. no way we cant give a 9oa from a team that badly needs a top 6 center.

Agreed. You know the problem with Habs fans jumping on Domi's back... other fans see this and go with it with his trade value. Heck, even actual GM's will go with it and make the call thinking they can get Domi for 40-50 pts in trade value. We are our own worse enemy at times.

Some even think Domi is worth as low as Andersen who had a horrible season with an injury and his best season is not even better than Domi's

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Agreed. You know the problem with Habs fans jumping on Domi's back... other fans see this and go with it with his trade value. Heck, even actual GM's will go with it and make the call thinking they can get Domi for 40-50 pts in trade value. We are our own worse enemy at times.

Some even think Domi is worth as low as Andersen who had a horrible season with an injury and his best season is not even better than Domi's

What the fans say on HFBoards have absolutely no bearing on the value of a player to the eyes of established NHL GMs. What the hell are you talking about?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I agree with management choice, I think domi should be a winger as a center he wasn't driving the play and I found myself screaming at the screen all playoffs of "what are you doing", The team for the future is set with Kotkaniemi, Danault and Suzuki, all of which will fluctuate through all three positions during the upcoming seasons as they go through ups and downs.

What we're lacking is Size on the wings and a stronger 4th D, if trading domi does that fantastic,

I don't mind going with Danault over Domi. I just would have liked for his trade value to have been higher than it is now when we move him. Everything went right for him 2 years ago. But I still think he's closer to that player when he's not playing with Lehkonen and Byron all year.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What the fans say on HFBoards have absolutely no bearing on the value of a player to the eyes of established NHL GMs. What the hell are you talking about?

Haha... you think social media comments don't matter eh? Players, GM's, Coaches, Agents never hear these comments eh? Is that why you are not afraid to throw players under the bus? You think the Habs are known for a difficult place to play only because of the fans in the seats? :laugh:

Right back at you... What the hell you talking about? It's not just about HF boards too.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Do the Habs keep contradicting themselves saying that they want 4 lines that can bring it and then they load up on 2 lines and dilute the bottom 2?

Maybe Management should avoid the labeling of lines 1-4 and call the line whichever C centers it.Would save a lot of flummoxing and possible avoid dissension within the team dynamics.

Julien seemed to indicate he feels the dcore will be in good shape next year with the emergence of Kulak and saying Romanov will definitely be in in Montreal.

He also said Marc will look to get help upfront.

It sounds like management is also prioritizing improving the forward position. One would think with the Domi trade.

But we'll see what actually happens.

Reactions: angusyoung

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Haha... you think social media comments don't matter eh? Players, GM's, Coaches, Agents never hear these comments eh? Is that why you are not afraid to throw players under the bus? You think the Habs are known for a difficult place to play only because of the fans in the seats? :laugh:

Right back at you... What the hell you talking about? It's not just about HF boards too.

Jesus... I can already imagine Bill Guerin this summer.

"Well Marc... I have nothing against Max, but you see... Ben Chariot on HF Boards has been saying he's expandable, so you might want to revisit your asking price of Brodin. I'll give you Donato, nothing more".

Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds?

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Julien seemed to indicate he feels the dcore will be in good shape next year with the emergence of Kulak and saying Romanov will definitely be in in Montreal.

He also said Marc will look to get help upfront.

It sounds like management is also prioritizing improving the forward position. One would think with the Domi trade.

But we'll see what actually happens.

Time will tell if the trade for assets and merely save cap space for Molson yet again.

The D seems like it should be adequate with what they have now and with the prospects in the system.Need more punch up front.

Reactions: 26Mats

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Jesus... I can already imagine Bill Guerin this summer.

"Well Marc... I have nothing against Max, but you see... Ben Chariot on HF Boards has been saying he's expandable, so you might want to revisit your asking price of Brodin. I'll give you Donato, nothing more".

Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds?

Time to move on. Your example is horrible

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Momesso just said on TSN690 that he thinks if Julien is back next year he doesn't see Domi still being on the Habs since it appears to him that Julien and Domi just don't get along but that's hardly news at this point.

Since Julien is coming back I guess we can see where the Domi/Habs relationship is headed so lets hope the return for Domi is good when he is moved, which looks to be happening to me sometime this off season.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Listening to Stu Cowan on TSN690 and he also thinks Domi as played his last game as a Hab.

We beat Cowan to the count. We had more than enough info prior to him, to arrive at that conclusion.

Thanks Stu -- please let us know while you're at it, the names of the astronauts who landed on the moon in 1969.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
You need to see this.

2nd line centre solution (Bring Out Your Dead)

WPG

1. Domi, Max [RFA Rights]
MTL

1. Vesalainen, Kristian
  2. Niku, Sami [RFA Rights]
  3. 2021 2nd round pick (WPG)
giphy.gif

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
We shouldn't. Even if you support moving Danault, it shouldn't be with the purpose of accommodating Domi at center.

Because that's what he stated?

Can't you bring things a little further?

Danault doesn't want to be 3rd C, so basically, what he's saying is if Danault doesn't want it, give it to someonr who does.

The point of trading either is to accomodate KK AND SUZUKI.

I'm gonna go all -spin- like you did and presume things and infer aay too much and say;

So what you're saying is we should accomodate Danault and always give him our best wingers?

See how that works?

Realize that your own bias about Danault drives you to make inferences that are simply not there.

Reactions: Habs178

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I've been saying for weeks I wouldn't trade Domi and that was before Danault's comments. I'm just not sold on KK as a #2. Now with Philip expressing his displeasure at being given the "scraps", I think it becomes more imperative to hold onto Domi for part of next season anyway.

If we trade Domi this offseason and MB finds out that Danault's complaining wasn't just a negotiating ploy, we're up Shitte's Creek. We went from 4 top 9 centers to 2 and that's if KK develops into a #2. But what if I'm right and he develops into a #3. This would be such a typical MB move. Go from an overabundance of top centers to having to look for possibly a #2 center.

I'd keep Domi. Put him on a line with Suzuki and bounce the two back and forth at center. When MB is finally permitted to talk to Danault's agent about an extension, he can then decide what to do. I'm guessing that would be halfway through next season. If Danault wants 6-7 million and the best forwards, you move him. If you realize he's willing to come down from his pedestal then your next move is to evaluate KK's performance. If he shows he can handle #2 duties, you move Domi. But if he shows I'm right and he'll only amount to a #3 then you have the leeway to make an informed decision. Which of KK or Danault do you keep? I would keep KK and trade Danault. I don't know if the politics would allow MB to do that but that's another matter.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm having trouble following some logic here.

Phil Danault doesn't want to be a 3C behind the kids and makes that public knowledge with his comments.. so people think that we should keep Domi as if he's going to accept the same fate?

Why would the guy who's been the go-to offensive player on almost every team he's been on in his life, and had (albeit not repeatable) a 70 pt season only a season ago, and is younger than Danault trying to get his first long term contract - agree to play under these same conditions that Danault deems untenable for himself?

I don't think you're gonna get Domi to accept this role either and in fact, it is far more likely we can convince Danault to do it than we would ever get Domi on board with it.

And if your point is that you would play Domi in an offensive role - how do you do this without hampering the kids? You would be taking O zone starts from them, putting them out against tougher lines, and would be removing some talent from their wings - talent in which, we do not have a lot of in the first place.

Reactions: habsfan891

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm having trouble following some logic here.

Phil Danault doesn't want to be a 3C behind the kids and makes that public knowledge with his comments.. so people think that we should keep Domi as if he's going to accept the same fate?

Why would the guy who's been the go-to offensive player on almost every team he's been on in his life, and had (albeit not repeatable) a 70 pt season only a season ago, and is younger than Danault trying to get his first long term contract - agree to play under these same conditions that Danault deems untenable for himself?

I don't think you're gonna get Domi to accept this role either and in fact, it is far more likely we can convince Danault to do it than we would ever get Domi on board with it.

And if your point is that you would play Domi in an offensive role - how do you do this without hampering the kids? You would be taking O zone starts from them, putting them out against tougher lines, and would be removing some talent from their wings - talent in which, we do not have a lot of in the first place.

What if you trade Domi this offseason, Danault wants offensive consideration and KK turns out to be a glorified Danault? In other words an elite #3.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Because that's what he stated?

Can't you bring things a little further?

Danault doesn't want to be 3rd C, so basically, what he's saying is if Danault doesn't want it, give it to someonr who does.

The point of trading either is to accomodate KK AND SUZUKI.

I'm gonna go all -spin- like you did and presume things and infer aay too much and say;

So what you're saying is we should accomodate Danault and always give him our best wingers?

See how that works?

Realize that your own bias about Danault drives you to make inferences that are simply not there.
What the hell are you rumbling about?

Here, I'm gonna put if for you in the clearest terms I can:

If we are to trade Danault, I'd much rather bring back a Faksa-type of player and play him as the #3C than give this spot to Domi.

Suzuki-Kotkaniemi-Domi center line is something I'd try to avoid when building a team.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

If we are to trade Danault, I'd much rather bring back a Faksa-type of player and play him as the #3C than give this spot to Domi.

Suzuki-Kotkaniemi-Domi center line is something I'd try to avoid when building a team.

There's no payoff with that kind of move, either.

I don't understand how you can watch such awful hockey for years (with Danault and all his defensive glory) and still be so risk averse.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Actually, after listening to what Hayes said about Suzuki (a poor man's O'Reilly), I'm now convinced we need to trade Danault. We roll with three offensive lines where Suzuki & KK share Danault's defensive duties. Suzuki, KK and Domi would be the centers of three lines that have basically the same TOI.

Man, that will be fun hockey to watch with those three centers.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
There's no payoff with that kind of move, either.

I don't understand how you can watch such awful hockey for years (with Danault and all his defensive glory) and still be so risk averse.
I'm not saying this should be the main piece coming back in a deal involving Danault, or even a part of this deal.

Risk averse? I would call it experience. I look at cup contending teams throughout the years and how their center groups are constructed and then I look at Suzuki-Kotkaniemi-Domi. No thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce